Sponsored by:

Another tranny question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 03:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
e55 amg
Another tranny question

So my tranny crapped out about 3 weeks ago and I've been doing some research and realized I have 1 of 3 options. 1) order oem unit either from dealer or online 2) send my unit to southern hr or similar rebuild company. 3) Order a transmission rebuild kit through Ipt performance. Only thing is ...if my tranny is completely cooked will I be able to just use this kit and have my car running again or will I need to get a whole new tranny?

http://www.importperformancetrans.co...kit-134-1.html
Old 07-14-2012, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
E55 w/ goods, Z32 Project underway
You will not know option 3 unless you open it up. Sometimes the clutch housings are in bad shape and a another transmission is a simpler route unless you can find them at a reasonable cost. Earlier versions of the transmission had bearing issue that cause really cause scoring everywhere making decisions easier. Grab the number on the side of your trans and I can look up if you have a newer unit with the better bearings.

If I recall (last year) I replaced one of my housings as I did not care much for the notches caused by the plates. Just piece of mind. But bottom line, open it up first, find out what went wrong, then decide.

Opening it open is fairly simple.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
e55 amg
Originally Posted by pearlpower
You will not know option 3 unless you open it up. Sometimes the clutch housings are in bad shape and a another transmission is a simpler route unless you can find them at a reasonable cost. Earlier versions of the transmission had bearing issue that cause really cause scoring everywhere making decisions easier. Grab the number on the side of your trans and I can look up if you have a newer unit with the better bearings.

If I recall (last year) I replaced one of my housings as I did not care much for the notches caused by the plates. Just piece of mind. But bottom line, open it up first, find out what went wrong, then decide.

Opening it open is fairly simple.
Yeh my car is an 03 model which I'm guessing has an older model tranny. So if I open her up and find that the housing is not damaged or scored in any significant manner, I would be able to just purchase the rebuild kit and all is well? Or are there additional parts that this kit is not supplied with? Thanks for the help..I'm a bit mechanically inclined.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jinman01
Yeh my car is an 03 model which I'm guessing has an older model tranny. So if I open her up and find that the housing is not damaged or scored in any significant manner, I would be able to just purchase the rebuild kit and all is well? Or are there additional parts that this kit is not supplied with? Thanks for the help..I'm a bit mechanically inclined.
Again, excuse the memory here, however when I contacted that company I could never get a real answer on whether it would work on a 722.643 transmission. There are several variants of 722.6 trans. Some have only single sided plates and ours are both single and double. At the time I think they asked me how many of each I needed in the kit. Just because a kit states 722.6 does not mean it will work.

Additionally I would ask where their plates are made. Many SRT guys upgrade their 722.6 trans with Mercedes plates found in our trans as they are stronger and made in Germany vs the Chinese built plate in their transmissions. You don't want cheap junk in your trans and to be honest, as most folks in the automotive field are disingenuous in order to sell parts more so than most industries, not sure if I would rely on their answer.

I always recommend buying parts from Mercedes. PITA as there is no 'kit' though.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:05 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
1990 300ce supercharged and intercooled
If you do decide to rebuild make sure to have your tq converter flushed or a new one. They hold a lot of debris and can cause many problems. If I was in your shoes I would get the SHR or Paramount trans. Both can handle more power than anyone in this group is going to make anytime soon. If you are going to rebuild it get Mercedes factory clutches. They are the best and if you want to change to double sided clutches for the whole trans you can. You just need to order the steels also and this is the best setup. Mercedes used the single sided on later years but they can not handle the heat as well. Paramount I think sells a banner kit now. Call Bill and tell him what you have after you have it torn down.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

flushing TC is next to impossible, no drain and even so, bits and pieces everywhere which will end back into the trans area. A new TC is highly recommended or a quality rebuild, problem with many rebuilds is poor balancing resulting in another tossed bushing down the line.