Sponsored by:

Does anyone here track their E55?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Does anyone here track their E55?

I'm thinking of taking my E55 to the track for a HPDE day. Does anyone here take their E55 to the track (I'm not talking about a drag strip). How does it hold up with the supercharger? I'm not expecting it to be as nimble as smaller cars but is it still pretty decent at the track? I'm mostly looking to increase my knowledge and experience with car control, etc.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Ducati
They do fairly well, considering their weight!

If you have confidence, and can tame the torque, you should be able to beat spec-built Miatas around Laguna Seca!
Old 07-18-2012, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
A Merc
Most likely you will have to find a way to control temps because you are not only hitting the throttle for 10 or 12 secs but over and over
Old 07-18-2012, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E63 AMG
How far into the throttle does the supercharger engage for you guys?

Only reason I ask is just wondering how it impacts overall performance on a road course. I've got a 63, so I'm used to the manners of the N/A engine. Now I don't expect any 55 owners to say a single negative thing about their cars, especially to someone with a 63, but other than heatsoak, is it noticeable that the blower goes in and out at part vs. full throttle? Is that another dynamic to master, or is it not such an issue?

Just a curious car guy trying to understand what I don't have, only even drove one twice
Old 07-18-2012, 09:39 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
CLS63S
Benzoboi (Sun) does. His car can hang with the big boys, however, he does have about every mod you can do to the car done. His car is dialed in for any track.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
The car does pretty good for what it is. I usually ice my tank after every session and I have no problem with overheating or the blower cutting out. Taking crap out of the car helps a lot. (ie. rear seats, spare wheels, etc...) R-comp tires help out even more. Best mod, I must say was the coil over conversion. COMPLETELY changed the car.

I've been to Laguna Seca, Button Willow, Streets of Willow, Big Willow, and Chuckwalla. Infineon is on my to go list and Laguna Seca is on my must go again list.

Here is the car @ Laguna Seca back in June of last year.

Originally Posted by johnnyblaze
Benzoboi (Sun) does. His car can hang with the big boys, however, he does have about every mod you can do to the car done. His car is dialed in for any track.
Thanks homie. My car isn't THAT great.

Last edited by BenzoBoi; 07-18-2012 at 09:49 PM.