W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What could cause my car not to be aligned?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
What could cause my car not to be aligned?

I had my car aligned 3 times last year and neither time lasted more than a few hours. Needless to say, that gets expensive. I have slop in my steering wheel, a long with a *clicking* noise. The steering rack was replaced, so I know that's not the culprit. What else could it be? My mechanic is still looking into it, but for the most part I'm stumped...

Old 07-21-2012, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
maybe the U-joint in the steering shaft has play? I haven't really looked into the E55 steering system much but I believe it has a U-joint under the dash and one in the engine bay. I've seen this go bad in many cars.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:53 PM

2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by GT-ER
maybe the U-joint in the steering shaft has play? I haven't really looked into the E55 steering system much but I believe it has a U-joint under the dash and one in the engine bay. I've seen this go bad in many cars.
Thanks, I'll make sure they look into that.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
65 Chevelle Wagon w/ C5 frame, 08 ML63, 04 S600, 04 E55,(sold) 00 ML55,(sold) 98 C43-55K Swap
Originally Posted by Mantooth
My mechanic is still looking into it

I would say if the noise can be easily duplicated and your mechanic can't find whare it's coming from, u need a new mechanic. Put it on a drive on rack and turn the wheel left and right to make the noise while he checks the steering/suspension. Sometimes you won't find loose/worn suspension components when the suspension is relaxed. Hope this helps
Old 07-21-2012, 02:58 PM

2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by stockC43
I would say if the noise can be easily duplicated and your mechanic can't find whare it's coming from, u need a new mechanic. Put it on a drive on rack and turn the wheel left and right to make the noise while he checks the steering/suspension. Sometimes you won't find loose/worn suspension components when the suspension is relaxed. Hope this helps
Okay, we'll try that. The dealerships I've taken it to could replicate it, couldn't align it, but still said it was fine. It seems like all they do nowadays is check the ECU for codes. No codes = happy car. I apologize in advance if you actually know how to chase down problems instead of just checking for codes.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
E55, SL63, ML550
Bad bushings can cause your alignment to go out of wack, and not stay put. So can pot holes etc.

As far as the clicking, hard to say by that description, but there is a dtb for a new rack plate to eliminate a similar noise.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:03 PM

2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Shifter
Bad bushings can cause your alignment to go out of wack, and not stay put. So can pot holes etc.

As far as the clicking, hard to say by that description, but there is a dtb for a new rack plate to eliminate a similar noise.
Bad bushings could be part of the problem, too. Forgive my ignorance, but what is a "dtb"? Something like a recall?

Thanks!