Xenon Ballast Replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 05:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML550
Xenon Ballast Replacement

My driver's side xenon low beam went out, so I figured I would replace both bulbs with a pair of Osram Cool Blue Intense Xenarcs out of Germany. But fearing the worst, I had also bought a used ballast off eBay to have on hand in case it wasn't the bulb itself.

Needless to say, I replaced the bulb and no joy! So that meant a quick removal of the front bumper cover so I could dismount the headlamp assembly to access the ballast, which is mounted to the bottom of the headlight assembly. The factory procedure is to go for it from underneath by removing the front engine tray, but that meant very limited visibility and pushing wires and hose around to get to the torx fastners, so I opted for the bumper cover removal to have lots of access room and visibility.

The ballast is held in place by three torx screws, and once I replaced it, I had my lights back. I figure I saved a minimum of $500 doing the replacing the ballast myself versus having the dealer do it, having priced a MB ballast off parts.com. Well worth a few hours invested.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Nicely done. I had a xenon issue a few years back. The dealer did some basic checking and then said it would be cheapest to replace the whole lighting unit as opposed to changing out a component at a time. I guess the starter can fail too. I had them do the work knowing it was covered under my extended warranty to the tune of $1,500. I'd say you saved a buck or two.