W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where are user-programmed NAV addresses stored?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 10:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
NAV-DVD unit in trunk.... Problem Isolated to Player? (PICS!)

Where are user-programmed NAV addresses stored?

Are they in the COMAND unit in the dash, or in the NAV DVD with the map disc in the trunk?

I'm still troubleshooting my "NAVIGATION NOT AVAILABLE" error.

Pulled the side panel in the trunk to access the rear plugs (power and MOST ring) on DVD NAV.... Pulled the plugs and reconnected them and made no difference. DVD still acts like its dead.

Did a test on all fuses in the rear area with my DMM and they all had continuity. I'll check the dash fuses and under hood fuses tomorrow to see if I can find a culprit.

However, if all of that checks out fine I'm going to assume that the NAV DVD itself has gone bad (since it won't eject the disc and won't communicate with the COMAND up front). If they swap out the rear DVD will I lose all of my pre-programmed addresses?

-G

Last edited by GregMB; 07-25-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2004 E55
Originally Posted by GregMB
Are they in the COMAND unit in the dash, or in the NAV DVD with the map disc in the trunk?

I'm still troubleshooting my "NAVIGATION NOT AVAILABLE" error.

Pulled the side panel in the trunk to access the rear plugs (power and MOST ring) on DVD NAV.... Pulled the plugs and reconnected them and made no difference. DVD still acts like its dead.

Did a test on all fuses in the rear area with my DMM and they all had continuity. I'll check the dash fuses and under hood fuses tomorrow to see if I can find a culprit.

However, if all of that checks out fine I'm going to assume that the NAV DVD itself has gone bad (since it won't eject the disc and won't communicate with the COMAND up front). If they swap out the rear DVD will I lose all of my pre-programmed addresses?

-G
They are in the Nav Processor in the trunk
Old 07-25-2012, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks.

Did a little more digging today.

I checked continuity on the fuseblocks in the engine compartment, DS Dash area, rear trunk near DVD-NAV and a small fuseblock near the rear battery. All fuses checked out fine...

Next, I pulled the side panel trim and removed the single 10mm bolt that holds the DVD-NAV to the sheetmetal bracketry.

Here's how it looks in the back once you swing it out from the bracket:

The connector on the right is the MOST fiber stuff, and the left one is power. I pulled the fiber cable out and my SAT radio shut off immediately (had it playing in the background while I worked)... re-inserted the cable and the satellite music returned. Seems like the fiber loop is working fine?

The power cable only has 3 wires in it....

There's a red/white striped wire, a pink wire and a brown wire. I believe the brown is commonly used for ground in Mercedes, correct? My best guess is that the other wires are contant 12V and switched 12V (ignition)

I did a voltage check across the brown and red/white striped wire and got 12V
I did a voltage check across the brown and pink wire and got 12V

So far, it seems like I can pretty clearly eliminate any sort of power or fiber network issue. The fact that the unit is getting 12V but does not make any kind of noise, and will not eject the disc when I press the button leads me to believe that the player itself is defective....

Anyone care to chime in here with another troubleshooting tip or solution?

-G

Last edited by GregMB; 07-25-2012 at 12:15 PM.