W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear right thump/thud when accelerating from rest (?)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E55 AMG + W203 C55 AMG
Rear right thump/thud when accelerating from rest (?)

Hi everyone,
I have a tricky problem with my E55 that I cant get to the bottom of. I know there has been a lot of coverage of very similar issues ('dead body thump') but I cant seem to find anyone with the exact symptoms as my car is exhibiting.

There is a violent thud/thump from the right rear of the car when accelerating from standstill. Not necessarily a hard launch either - just prodding the throttle ever so slightly causes it. If I nail it from low speed (less than 40mph), it also makes the same noise.

I have inspected the car on a ramp myself, and my local dealer had a (admittedly quick) look at it today when it had an oil service, but after prying every bush and joint with a bar, nothing is adrift or loose. The car has done 97k but the underside is like new.

The air springs hold air at all 4 corners and stay perfectly level at all times, and there are no leaks from either rear dampers.

The thud occasionally doesnt happen when I have the dampers in Sport 2.

The only thing I discovered whilst poking around was that my rear transmission mount is shot, so I've got one on order. However I highly doubt this is the culprit seeing as the noise is specifically on the rear right hand side.

Any help or suggestions of any kind would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Ben
Old 07-28-2012, 06:03 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
Sometime this thud is caused due to bad shocks
Old 07-28-2012, 07:42 PM

04 E55
Checked the suspension crossmember to body bolts?
Old 07-29-2012, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by thumper823
Checked the suspension crossmember to body bolts?
Yes, everything is done up tight. It also had a brand new diff, so I'm assuming the previous owner has tried to rectify this problem too.

I've read about the air springs not being located to the body properly and a noise like this can be caused by them moving around?

-Ben
Old 07-31-2012, 05:20 PM

Update:

Just to give some closure on this issue for anyone who is affected by the same problem in the future, upon detailed investigation it turns out my rear subframe bushes are shot. The right front being the worst according to the mechanic. So the subframe is jumping back and forth against the body with a hefty dose of right-foot. A fairly massive undertaking labour-wise, so certainly not the cheap fix I was hoping for! Oh well, problem solved at least.

-Ben
Old 07-31-2012, 08:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Bummer.

How many miles are on your car? I've read a few threads about subframe issues on the E55 but don't recall there being a "smoking gun" that consistently explains why it happens. Is this something that might have just worked loose over time and the subsequent pounding of the loose mounts ultimately destroyed them?

I wonder if periodically checking bolt torques on the rear subframe is part of the any recommended services on these cars? If not, maybe it makes sense to have it done occasionally.... Especially on heavily modded cars, where the stresses are bound to be higher than normal.

-G