Sponsored by:

Mercury Platinum came through

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E55 K1
Smile Mercury Platinum came through

In a previous post I stated that I was concerned that Mercury Platinum would not provide coverage for engine mounts. My fears proved to be unfounded. That and a oil level sesor were 100% covered.

On a different subject, how many of you with older cars plan on keeping them (mine will be 10years old)? If you do, will you get extended warranty coverage (Mercury Platinum charges over $6K, or will you just take your chances?
Old 08-07-2012, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
good to hear that they did cover the mounts and oil sensor...I plan on keeping both of mine and set aside a few thousand $$$ each year for repairs.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Ducati
Originally Posted by Coalman
In a previous post I stated that I was concerned that Mercury Platinum would not provide coverage for engine mounts. My fears proved to be unfounded. That and a oil level sesor were 100% covered.

On a different subject, how many of you with older cars plan on keeping them (mine will be 10years old)? If you do, will you get extended warranty coverage (Mercury Platinum charges over $6K, or will you just take your chances?
My 55k is 10 years old and has 150k miles on it, and I am not really worried.

I do not really see it as "taking a chance" owning one of these outside of warranty... These cars are solid (well, everything except airmatic and the fuel pump/tank dealie)...

Do you have your car serviced at the dealer?
Old 08-07-2012, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts
E55 2006 / CLS55 / S450 / Jag XKR2011
I plan to keep mine for 3 more years. $6K for ext warranty is too much. If you don't mod and maintain your car, you shouldn't worry. If no engine or tranny fail, the most common problem in this car should not be more than $6K in 3 years. I deeply regret that I bought the stupid Chrysler ext warranty. Ext warranty, you have to take your car to dealer which they always over charge. Who has time to go Dealer for repair and indy shop for maintenance ! Just find a good indy shop.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Ducati
Originally Posted by CharlyE500
I plan to keep mine for 3 more years. $6K for ext warranty is too much. If you don't mod and maintain your car, you shouldn't worry. If no engine or tranny fail, the most common problem in this car should not be more than $6K in 3 years. I deeply regret that I bought the stupid Chrysler ext warranty. Ext warranty, you have to take your car to dealer which they always over charge. Who has time to go Dealer for repair and indy shop for maintenance ! Just find a good indy shop.

This.... In the last year, I spent ~400-600 for maintenance on my car. (not including tires hahahaha!)

For grins, I asked the gent that does my services what he would charge for the oil level sender and motor mounts. Parts would set me back $275 (oil level sender dealie, 2 motor mounts, and oil change materials (have to drain oil for the sender)). Labor would set me back $125.