W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wow just went at it with a S/C pontiac G8

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 W211 E55K, GL550
Wow just went at it with a S/C pontiac G8

Didn't even realize he was chasing me till I looked in my passengers side mirror he was going to pass in a merging late but could get past me. Next light he got stuck behind me but once the right lane opened up. We both nailed it and before I knew it was supercharged I was in shock.

But the beast held its own as I pulled on by about half car and held it there we pulled up next to each other at the light seemed like a cool guy but you could tell he was overwhelmed at what just happened. I think he was expecting to pull on me. But I must admit that thing was pretty damn quick it definitely could have gone either way. Sorry for the long post but adrenaline is pumping and finally I got a real go at it with a decent car . Time for a s.c pulley and re tune.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Suzuki Burgman Executive
I love the G8, especially in GXP trim!
Old 08-30-2012, 12:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
E55 amg
Nice. R u stock ?
Old 08-30-2012, 12:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Nice! Sounds like fun.

Pontiac finally gets it right with the G8 and then gets shut down by GM.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK55
Originally Posted by AMG E Power
Nice. R u stock ?
+1
Old 08-30-2012, 06:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by cal1
Nice! Sounds like fun.

I think the G8 is fantastic and twin.turbo they are even sicker...lol
Old 08-30-2012, 07:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
you to Hate
Originally Posted by GT-ER

This^^^^^

And nice run!

Trending Topics

Old 08-30-2012, 08:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
Danny
I've never see a twin turbo G8
Only a procharger. I've driven a HSV Commodore down in OZ but all my time down there ive not seen a turbo one
How do they run?
Old 08-30-2012, 09:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55 AMG
Great story! The G8's are beautiful cars and it's a shame Pontiac killed them. All are built in AU, great quality, corvette motor (detuned obviously), and they look gorgeous.

It's funny when people try to race me and I crush them. Between my license plate, the quad exhaust and the fact that it says V8 Kompressor, you think people would know we've got some HP under the hood?

I attribute it to the "Anticeptic" look of the E series body. It just looks unthreatening/bland/average/boring to be nice. But for me, I love this because...
  • Cops never look at me (my car is gold as well, another bland color - vs. red for example)
  • It's a complete sleeper car
  • I'm 43 with 3 young kids so I want the sleeper look honestly (No mid-life crisis car for me!)
  • And you surprise everyone who tries to race you or rides with you
I mean what's not to love? There is something to be said for being understated in your ride vs going with huge rims, body kits etc. For me it's completely about the, "GO" and less about the, "SHOW."

I'd equate this to wearing a nice Brooksbrother's suit, navy blue, perfectly tailored vs. an Armani striped suit with peaked lapels that everyone notices.

And that's why I love my E55 so much!
Old 08-30-2012, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63: <sold> '07 E63
Originally Posted by alextaylor29
Great story! The G8's are beautiful cars and it's a shame Pontiac killed them. All are built in AU, great quality, corvette motor (detuned obviously), and they look gorgeous.

It's funny when people try to race me and I crush them. Between my license plate, the quad exhaust and the fact that it says V8 Kompressor, you think people would know we've got some HP under the hood?

I attribute it to the "Anticeptic" look of the E series body. It just looks unthreatening/bland/average/boring to be nice. But for me, I love this because...
  • Cops never look at me (my car is gold as well, another bland color - vs. red for example)
  • I'm 43 with 3 young kids so I want the sleeper look honestly (No mid-life crisis car for me!)
I mean what's not to love? There is something to be said for being understated in your ride vs going with huge rims, body kits etc. For me it's completely about the, "GO" and less about the, "SHOW."

I'd equate this to wearing a nice Brooksbrother's suit, navy blue, perfectly tailored vs. an Armani striped suit with peaked lapels that everyone notices.

+1 - same situation with three kids and one on the way. Just want something that goes fast without it looking like such. Had a Dodge Magnum RT with the "looks" package try me at a light the other day. He didn't even come close.

Wife constantly tells me she doesn't care about 0 to 100 and the next car should be a family car. That is until she gets in and starts driving it. According to her friends (I'm not supposed to know) she's apparently gone head to head a couple of times at the lights, always winning and wearing a shxxxy grin.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:09 PM

2008 SL600
the fact that it says V8 Kompressor, you think people would know we've got some HP under the hood?

LOL I raced an older style CLK "Kompressor" in my VR6 Passat and smoked him. I never really knew one way or the other until I started actually looking at buying a MB and realizing the difference. Granted, I always knew which of the MB cars probably had more of the power, but I completely agree with your whole statement and I'm not old like all you dudes, I'm only 28!
Old 08-30-2012, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by moosejaw
Danny
I've never see a twin turbo G8
Only a procharger. I've driven a HSV Commodore down in OZ but all my time down there ive not seen a turbo one
How do they run?
APS makes a kit.

http://www.airpowersystems.com/g8/g8_itt.htm

I honestly wanted a G8 when I eventually bought my E55 but they sold so few that there are nearly impossible to find here in PR. I quit searching.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 W211 E55K, GL550
Originally Posted by AMG E Power
Nice. R u stock ?
No I have some mild mods E.C tune,shorty headers, resinator&cat delete,k&n filter and the basic cooling mods but still proud of the old girl concidering that car was supercharged and god knows what else cause im sure he did'nt just slap a S.C on it and called it a day.

Originally Posted by cal1
Nice! Sounds like fun.

Thanks Cal it was fun and i agree the G8 is a well built machine for a "lower buget" GM car.

Originally Posted by GT-ER

That would be a nice set up i wonder if there are any out there?

Originally Posted by peckcrossing
+1 - same situation with three kids and one on the way. Just want something that goes fast without it looking like such. Had a Dodge Magnum RT with the "looks" package try me at a light the other day. He didn't even come close.

Wife constantly tells me she doesn't care about 0 to 100 and the next car should be a family car. That is until she gets in and starts driving it. According to her friends (I'm not supposed to know) she's apparently gone head to head a couple of times at the lights, always winning and wearing a shxxxy grin.
Nothing better then a functional well built german car that gets the job done in all aspects
Old 08-30-2012, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 W211 E55K, GL550

You would have loved this car COMPLETE SLEEPER no wheels, exhaust note was not that loud (or maybe i didn't hear it to well cause i was never really behind him lol) but the look of it you would have never thought that thing was blown and pretty damn quick. That why my first reaction was there is something up with my car lol.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:38 PM

2008 SL600
Originally Posted by bnzuovr
....god knows what else cause im sure he did'nt just slap a S.C on it and called it a day.

I'm sure about those G8 motors, but I know that the ol' LS1 was pretty receptive to basically just a Procharger and people would slap them on then call it a day lol
Old 08-30-2012, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Dirt Scooters
I have a neighbor that has a white G8 that I race last year and demolished him so he did the heads/intake/cam/100 shot/torque converter over winter. We did a few roll races this spring after Jerry did a retune to add some fuel and he still wasn't even close. He said "I know you did something to it" my reply was nope just put a 3" exhaust on it lol. His car is now had a nice shiny intercooler so I'm guessing he's geared up for round 3 next spring.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
A friend of mine in Illinois has a modded G8 GT, but it's not supercharged. Back in 2010, he ran a 12.834 @ 108.44 with these mods:

Kooks 1 3/4 LTs
Kooks catted X pipe
SLP Powerflo Axleback
Rotofab CAI
Powerbond Underdrive Pulley
GXP Rear End Swap (3.27 vs stock 2.92)
Relocated IAT sensor
Livernois Motorsports Tune

And then suspension wise I have:
BMR rear subframe bushings
BMR differential bushings
BMR trailing arms
BMR toe rods
BMR tunnel brace
CCW 19x9 and 19x10 rims w/ Nitto Invo 245 and 275 tires
DBA slotted rotors w Hawk pads
Old 08-31-2012, 09:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55 AMG
Yeah G8's are beautiful cars and you can pick up nice used one, low miles for about $25K. They look alot like the Dodge Charger SRT-8 which is one of the most aggressive bad *** looking cars out there. (In my humble opinion)

If I was looking for a second car, either a G8 or SRT-8 would do nicely! Again you can pick up a used low mileage version of each one for about $25K.

Old 08-31-2012, 10:21 PM

2008 SL600
Yeah G8's are beautiful cars and you can pick up nice used one, low miles for about $25K. They look alot like the Dodge Charger SRT-8 which is one of the most aggressive bad *** looking cars out there. (In my humble opinion)

If I was looking for a second car, either a G8 or SRT-8 would do nicely! Again you can pick up a used low mileage version of each one for about $25K.

And the SRT-8 starts off with quite a bit more power than a G8.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:30 PM

W211 E55, 911 turbo, 911sc, RX330
Originally Posted by Dostovel
LOL I raced an older style CLK "Kompressor" in my VR6 Passat and smoked him. I never really knew one way or the other until I started actually looking at buying a MB and realizing the difference. Granted, I always knew which of the MB cars probably had more of the power, but I completely agree with your whole statement and I'm not old like all you dudes, I'm only 28!
CLK or SLK? Never seen a CLK Kompressor.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:11 AM

2019 E 450 4 matic wagon, cadilliac CTS AWD performance ,2018 VW Tiguan SUV 2006 CLS55 030pkg modded
G8

G8's are really sweet cars , they have better build quality than the C TS V and the interior is actually better quality materials. I almost bought one too. Very modifiable just put all vette LS3 performance related parts in it and they will RUN . And they dont make them any more. Im actually looking at a used older GTO 03 or 04 their getting pretty cheap used .
Old 09-01-2012, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by badm
G8's are really sweet cars , they have better build quality than the C TS V and the interior is actually better quality materials. I almost bought one too. Very modifiable just put all vette LS3 performance related parts in it and they will RUN . And they dont make them any more. Im actually looking at a used older GTO 03 or 04 their getting pretty cheap used .

I wouldn't go so far as to saying it has a better interior than a CTS-V ( unless you meant 1st gen ) as I've been in both and the V looks and feels way better inside but it does offer a great interior regardless ( especially for the price ). As for the engine, the aftermarket makes our AMG's aftermarket cry.

Did a quick search again to see if I could find a G8 locally....none.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:12 AM

2008 SL600
Originally Posted by WPOZZZ
CLK or SLK? Never seen a CLK Kompressor.

What's the little 2 door the old women like to drive....? That one.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:18 AM

2008 SL600
Originally Posted by badm
Im actually looking at a used older GTO 03 or 04 their getting pretty cheap used .
About 6 months ago, here in Scottsdale, this dude traded in a 2004 manual GTO, first owner, clean carfax, light mods (LS6 heads and cam + full exhaust and tune), silver on black and he said had about 420-430 HP. We gave him $11,000 for it and had hardly any shop bill through recon and we sold it at an internet price of $12,999. I had driven it and it ripped pretty damn good. Oh, and the kicker, the friggin thing had 28,xxx miles.... 28k MILES! I would have been all over it but I like the later models better and the interior just felt so cheap.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 W211 E55K, GL550
Originally Posted by HeissRod
A friend of mine in Illinois has a modded G8 GT, but it's not supercharged. Back in 2010, he ran a 12.834 @ 108.44 with these mods:

the one i raced was red as well but its had factory wheels on it do you know if your buddy threw a blower on his car?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Wow just went at it with a S/C pontiac G8