W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual way to disarm the immobiliser?

Old 09-01-2012, 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts
W212 - E63 AMG
Unhappy Manual way to disarm the immobiliser?

Hi guys,

So my car has decided to drain it's battery without ANY kind of indication again. Recently I changed the aux battery module under the hood for the small battery and all was well after that. I've not seen the convenience functions message in weeks and I'd driven my car everyday this week as normal (except friday) and it has been fine.

Today, I go to my car to meet up with friends aaaand nothing. So I'm like FML it's drained itself again!? So I get my other car, get to charging the E55 and after a few minutes I do the now routine procedure of turning the ignition to see if it'll start with a jumpstart.

As I got close to the inserting the key, a message popped up saying Key Not Recognised, but before my brain could process the message, I'd already put the key in and turned it. The car cranked once and immediately shut off completely. It now doesn't respond to any unlock/lock requests from my key (even when the battery is being charged by the other car and showing 14+ volts) and I can't turn the ignition at all - it just doesn't accept the key at all.

How bad is this situation? Am I at the mercy of a local cowboy with a star diagnostic tool, or is there something else I can do?

I'm really hoping that as it drains itself dry again this evening. by tomorrow when I go to jump start it, it should hopefully 'remember' (lol wishful thinking, I know) my key and fire up as normal...
Old 09-01-2012, 06:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,483 Likes on 983 Posts
This place is a joke.
A dead battery won't cause your car to "forget" the key. If your battery is flat dead, even a jumpstart may not work. You may have to charge the battery or replace it.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 E55
Originally Posted by Celicasaur
Hi guys,

So my car has decided to drain it's battery without ANY kind of indication again. Recently I changed the aux battery module under the hood for the small battery and all was well after that. I've not seen the convenience functions message in weeks and I'd driven my car everyday this week as normal (except friday) and it has been fine.

Today, I go to my car to meet up with friends aaaand nothing. So I'm like FML it's drained itself again!? So I get my other car, get to charging the E55 and after a few minutes I do the now routine procedure of turning the ignition to see if it'll start with a jumpstart.

As I got close to the inserting the key, a message popped up saying Key Not Recognised, but before my brain could process the message, I'd already put the key in and turned it. The car cranked once and immediately shut off completely. It now doesn't respond to any unlock/lock requests from my key (even when the battery is being charged by the other car and showing 14+ volts) and I can't turn the ignition at all - it just doesn't accept the key at all.

How bad is this situation? Am I at the mercy of a local cowboy with a star diagnostic tool, or is there something else I can do?

I'm really hoping that as it drains itself dry again this evening. by tomorrow when I go to jump start it, it should hopefully 'remember' (lol wishful thinking, I know) my key and fire up as normal...
Do you have a second key you can try? When you got the message in the cluster about the key not being recognized, and went and turned the key, did the ignition turn on normally and steering lock disengaged?

If you do not have the second key, does the red light blink in the key, every time you press lock/unlock. Sounds like you are having DAS issues, or as E55Greasemonkey mentioned your battery is completely flat.

Last edited by Lelix; 09-01-2012 at 06:43 PM.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 - E63 AMG
Thanks guys, that's reassuring to know. Hopefully I just tried to start it too soon and the single crank just stone cold zapped whatever was left in the battery, eventhough it was being charged by the other car.

I'll give it a good 15 minute charge via my other car and then try to charge it again. Thanks guys, I'll keep you all posted. Team MBWorld FTW
Old 09-01-2012, 09:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 - E63 AMG
P.S. What are DAS issues?
Old 09-01-2012, 10:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
2007 SL55 AMG
disconnect your battery and let it get a full charge with a battery tender before you try starting it again.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
65 Chevelle Wagon w/ C5 frame, 08 ML63, 04 S600, 04 E55,(sold) 00 ML55,(sold) 98 C43-55K Swap
If you have a vrla battery and it's fully discharged, put the charger on engine start mode for 15 minutes first. Then leave it on high for a hour, then let it trickle overnight. The vrla batteries for what ever reason, respond best to this method. It will never recharge with just a standard trickle if it was fully discharged. Just the nature of the gel vrla battery.