'03 E55 AMG, thoughts?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
'03 E55 AMG, thoughts?

Sup fellas?

Recently introduced to the E55 and considering making an offer on the following. Curious as to what thoughts you guys have as to its value...

2003 E55 AMG

I've perused the forums and note comments to stay away from'03 and go'04+. Is this a general advice against 1st yr models or are there more serious issues w/that year?

Any advice would be appreciated. I think it looks sweet and for that price a great intro into the world of AMG.

Cheers!
Old 09-03-2012, 06:45 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
I paid exactly that amount for my 03 with 60K on it last April. Had meticulous maintenence done at dealer from new with all records. I bought from 2nd owner. I haven't had any issues with mine at all. I know a big one on the 03's is the radiator may leak into the trans unless it has been replaced with updated unit. I would suggest a pre purchase inspection done. Early model year 03's also had different differential, I think better one put in after Sept 03. I have no regrets with my purchase so far, but with any car it all depends on how it was driven and taken care of.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Thx for the quick response...I was afraid of getting flamed at first

Reasurring to hear you are so happy w/yours, congrats! I appreciate your suggestions and will follow up w/them. Never had a car this 'mature' let's say but the more I'm reading in the forums the more at ease I'm becoming.

Spoke with the owner over the phone last week and he seemed cool. Looks clean in the pics and I think he did good with his few cosmetic mods. This could be a very exciting week for me...keeping fingers crossed it's as well maintained as I'm hoping when I see it this week.

Cheers!
RJ
Old 09-03-2012, 10:40 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Sure not a problem Good luck with the purchase, they are wonderful examples of engineering and absolutely a joy to drive, always look forward to getting into mine!! Also I'm not sure if you have heard about the Airmatic shocks on these cars and how much they can cost to replace, $1400 a piece just for the part from the dealer. Mine haven't been replaced yet either but would be a good thing to know if it's been done, once they go out the car cannot be driven as it will sag all the way onto the tire. Make sure the car rises and lowers and you don't hear anything leaking air. This part had issues for all the years 03-06 so, most people I hear from end up having to replace them anywhere from 60K-100K but it's just one of those things. There is a company that makes remanufactured part for about $400 a piece that many people are speaking highly of, name is Arnott.