Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter or a/s tires?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winter or a/s tires?

Has anyone done any research on what will work in the winter on these size rims?
Old 07-23-2003, 09:57 AM

I too need help or suggestions as I am going to have to drive myy 99 in the Chicago winter.
Suggestions anyone?
Old 07-23-2003, 12:30 PM

E55
There has been a fair amount of discussion on this forum on tires for snow. I think the genral consensus is:

For genral urban condition, all weather is fine. Winter tires would be necessary for deep snow but then one would need a second set of wheels.

Some were concerned about buying a high performance car and having its performance somewhat degraded by using all but high performance tires which of course are intended only for the best of road surfaces.

However, it was pointed out that all weather tires have little negative effect on acceleration. The loss is in cornering. But the E 55 does not corner all that well anyway.

This does not reflect personal experience or deep knowledge; it is only a synopsis of what I read on this list.

Anyone care to correct me or corroborate?
Old 07-23-2003, 04:30 PM

Tirerack info

After speaking to tirerack rep he stated that no all season tires will be available as direct replacement however there will be Dunlop M2 and Michelin Alpin winter tires in our sizes. These currently don't appear on their web site but should be posted later next month and were available last year according to an old catalog I just checked.