W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My NHTSA ODI# 10476870 Details - E55 Fuel Leak Safety Complaint.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
My NHTSA ODI# 10476870 Details - E55 Fuel Leak Safety Complaint.

I've already filed my official complaint with NHTSA, but wanted to post up some additional details here in case anyone needs to see clear evidence of this issue.

The Vehicle:

2006 Mercedes E55 AMG
36,100 Original Miles

Build Date: 8/15/2005

Original MBUSA Recall Campaign #2008020001 (Fuel Filter Module) was performed on this car on 3/7/2008

I first noticed the fuel smell on a business trip down to NJ last week. I had driven for several hours and had burned through an entire tank of fuel, so I filled the tank (stopped when the pump shut off automatically) and parked the car at my hotel for the night.

The next morning, there was an obvious smell of fuel both in and around the car. I did not notice any fuel underneath, but the interior had a strong fuel smell.... I kept the windows rolled down for the entire day to help clear the smell, and on the trip home I did not fill the tank more than 3/4 full to avoid any further issues.

Today, I decided to fill the tank so that I could check for the fuel leak that I'd read about on these forums. Again, I filled the tank until the pump shut off automatically and did not add any additional fuel beyond that. I parked the car at work and waited until about noon (3 hours) to check for a fuel smell.... as before, there seemed to be a slight smell outside the car, with no visible leak underneath. The interior had a strong fuel smell, so I rolled down the windows and drove home to do the visual inspection of the tank and fuel senders. Here is what I found:

Pulled the seat cushion to reveal the sound deadening mat:

Pulled back the mat to reveal the access panels to the fuel senders:

I started with the passenger-side cover, the entire area was completely clean and dry. So I moved to the driver's side:

As soon as I pulled the cover, I was hit with a strong fuel smell. Here is a closeup shot of the amount of fuel in the area:

Here is an even better shot across the rear seat (from the passenger side) to the driver side fuel leak. You can see the reflections of the fuel puddle very easily.

One more, slightly closer:

I did the best I could to soak up all the fuel. Between the leak inside the white bowl area, and the surrounding fuel leak it took 3 completely-saturated shop towels:

Once I got the fuel leak cleaned-up I found this little black cap/plug down in the area just outside the sender cap in the deepest part of that black basin of the fuel tank:

I started the car and let it idle. There was a very odd hissing sound coming from the sender area. This is a link to the video, I'm not sure if it will embed correctly or not on this site:

The sound is especially noticeable at around 0:13 on the video... it sounds like pressure is escaping from the tank the entire time.

That's my summary of events. I know that there are already a few very long threads about this issue, but I wanted to post up a clear set of photos and information for NHTSA or anyone else who happens to stumble across this issue in the future.

-G
Old 09-24-2012, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
E55 amg
this is a real problem that needs to be fix ! when i fill up its around 18 gals of gas and i do smell gas outside of the car but hardly ever on the inside.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Here's a real-time shot of the area..... I left the seat out and inspection cover off, hoping that with the windows down it would dry out.

Looks like the opposite is happening!

Now that the sender is open to the atmosphere is seems like it's leaking worse than before.... maybe the inspection cover and seal was actually helping to hold some of the pressure from the tank to slow the leakage???

-G
Old 09-24-2012, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
Do you have the contact at NHTSA
I can pm it to you if you don't mind.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by moosejaw
Do you have the contact at NHTSA
I can pm it to you if you don't mind.

Please send it... Thanks!

-G
Old 09-24-2012, 10:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
03 E55 AMG, 06 Harley Road King Custom 06 Ram 2500 Cummins, 97 Firebird Race Car, 88 Cutlass Supreme
Can you get one of those automotive stethoscopes or try to use a bit of hose to yohr ear to try and pinpoint where the hiss sound is coming from? A noticeable noise like that should make it easy to find your leak. If not maybe run your finger around different areas of the sender till the sound changes to pinpoint ykur leak. A positive location will help others in trying to figure out what exactly is going on.

Does the sound by chamce seem to be coming from somewhere away from the sender? Perhaps between the two sending units under the middle of the backseat? That seems to be where the suspected gas tank leak is happening then leaking down into the sender well area.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BBBSS,

I don't have stethoscope to test it, but I'm fairly confident the sound is focused around that white housing. When have a little more time I will see if I can get a more specific location.

Since reporting this issue, the fuel puddling seems to be getting worse (inspection cover removed). This morning the fuel was at the upper lip of the inspection cover access hole.... Any higher and it would be spilling into the seat / pad area. It took me about 8 shop towels to absorb all the fuel and remove it.

I am wondering if the gas tank is sealed to the steel area under the seat? The access hole is angled, and at the lowest point there seems to be a "dimple" it the fuel tank under the flange where the perimeter screws are. If things weren't 100% sealed there, I could certainly see how the raw fuel could eventually find its way out of the area and drip onto the ground below...

-G
Old 09-25-2012, 07:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by GregMB
Here's a real-time shot of the area..... I left the seat out and inspection cover off, hoping that with the windows down it would dry out.

Looks like the opposite is happening!

Now that the sender is open to the atmosphere is seems like it's leaking worse than before.... maybe the inspection cover and seal was actually helping to hold some of the pressure from the tank to slow the leakage???

-G
Nope, that area is not sealed at all to allow any pressure buildup. Its completely open to the outside. The cover is to keep water from the rain and smells from entering the cabin.

I haven't filled my car to the very top in ages avoiding this problem and it's worked great. Can't wait to see if NHTSA can force mb to solve it though, mine leaks as well when full.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Welcome to the "I can only put 1/2 tank of fuel in the car" club.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gone but not Forgotten 2006 E55 Renntech
I hope the leak is at the sender and not the evap connection on the tank.
After the dealer replaced my sender they discovered the evap connection leaking and replaced the whole tank, $2k+.
GL
Old 09-25-2012, 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
Last few fill ups on my 4matic very noticeable smell when standing by the ds rear. Still under warranty til 2013 dec. so at least it will be covered. Just need airmatic to go before 2013 dec as well
Old 09-25-2012, 01:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
EG8 | E46 | W211
That's my summary of events. I know that there are already a few very long threads about this issue, but I wanted to post up a clear set of photos and information for NHTSA or anyone else who happens to stumble across this issue in the future.
Thanks for sharing the detailed pics and video. I also really need to set time aside to file my complaint.
Originally Posted by GT-ER
I haven't filled my car to the very top in ages avoiding this problem and it's worked great. Can't wait to see if NHTSA can force mb to solve it though, mine leaks as well when full.
+1
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
Welcome to the "I can only put 1/2 tank of fuel in the car" club.
I've been able to go 3/4 tank without leakage/fuel smell.
Originally Posted by Ronan Mc Cabe
I hope the leak is at the sender and not the evap connection on the tank.
Is there a definitive answer to which part is defective? Tank or sender? Or, possibly both?
Old 09-28-2012, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I am adding this list of affected MBWorld members to my thread since I've been notified that NHTSA has seen this thread already and will probably be checking back occasionally to see my updates.

If your name is on this list, please send me an email or PM with your ODI#, model year and model info... If you don't see your name here, but you've experienced the fuel leak issue, please file an official claim at NHTSA and then contact me to be added to this official list.

Thanks for your cooperation.

EDIT: UPDATED AS OF 10/1/2012

Last edited by GregMB; 10-01-2012 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Updated the master list
Old 09-28-2012, 04:38 PM

Gone but not Forgotten 2006 E55 Renntech
PM sent
Old 10-03-2012, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Update as of 10/3/2012:

A total of 115 affected members, with only 26 cases reported officially to NHTSA... we can do better than this!

-G
Old 10-03-2012, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Joining the thread. First it was the fuel neck, which got replaced, and now the whole fuel tank needs to be replaced from results of smoke tests....
Old 10-03-2012, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

For those of you who don't know exactly how to file a claim with NHTSA here are the steps you need to follow:

Go to: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

In the Box called: Vehicle Complaint select "Begin online form"

Add your VIN
Add your Vehicle (Start typing "Mercedes Benz E55" and the list will offer you options to autocomplete your selection, including the year)
Add the "Incident Date"
Add the "Vehicle Mileage"
Add the "Vehicle Speed at time of incident" (I'd say 0 MPH is appropriate for this issue)
In the "Affected Parts" pulldown menu select: Fuel / Proplusion system

Below that is an area for a 1900-character description of the issue. Please reference the NHTSA Action# PE12001 in this area to help connect all of these complaints.

Then add your name and address in the area at the bottom, verify your data and submit your form.

Once you do that, you will get an official ODI# assigned to your case.

Please send that ODI# to me so I can update our masterlist.

-G
Old 10-03-2012, 12:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07' SL65, 04' E55, 03' Evo8, 08' GSXR, DSM's...
Thanks for sharing those detailed pics. My buddy has this issue, but is not a member here. The smell from his car is insane and makes me nauseous when riding in his car. He brought this up to our local MB dealer and they said they would probably need to do the gas tank replacement route. Also told him he would be paying for it. Was there a certain date or production run where they replaced whatever parts free once?

You can put him on the list if you like. David S. 04' E55.

Aaron
Old 10-03-2012, 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Originally Posted by WHTEVO
Thanks for sharing those detailed pics. My buddy has this issue, but is not a member here. Was there a certain date or production run where they replaced whatever parts free once?

You can put him on the list if you like. David S. 04' E55.

Aaron
All model years from 03-06 are affected.
Did he file with NHTSA?
Old 10-03-2012, 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Aaron,

Please have him file with NHTSA. Cut and paste my instructions from above and email those to him. It literally only takes two minutes on their website.

I can add him to the master list but the only thing that is going to help us are the ODI #s

-G
Old 10-05-2012, 11:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

QUICK TIP:

Since I have no intention of paying for this repair out-of-pocket, it's probably going to be a long time before I fill up my car past the 3/4 mark with fuel.

I have learned that if I wait until the fuel warning light comes on, then go to the gas station and put exactly 10 gallons of fuel into the tank it lands almost perfectly at 3/4 of a tank.

For me, this seems to be a good value to avoid fuel smells....

-G
Old 10-05-2012, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07' SL65, 04' E55, 03' Evo8, 08' GSXR, DSM's...
Originally Posted by moosejaw
All model years from 03-06 are affected.
Did he file with NHTSA?
No he has not filed, yet. I am passing the link on over to him so he can file for the claim.

Aaron
Old 10-05-2012, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
QUICK TIP:

Since I have no intention of paying for this repair out-of-pocket, it's probably going to be a long time before I fill up my car past the 3/4 mark with fuel.

I have learned that if I wait until the fuel warning light comes on, then go to the gas station and put exactly 10 gallons of fuel into the tank it lands almost perfectly at 3/4 of a tank.

For me, this seems to be a good value to avoid fuel smells....

-G
thats exactly what i do
Old 10-05-2012, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Here's my Friday update (10/5/2012) for those of you subscribed and following along:

We are now at a total of 136 members with a fuel leak issue and a total of 49 of those cases reported to NHTSA with ODI#s assigned!!!

I went back to read the original compaint (PE12001) and compare the 20 ODI numbers cited on that complaint to the list I'm compiling here. Surprisingly, only 3 of the numbers matched entries on my list (zkeller, SPVFD47 and GregD).... which means there are potentially 17 cases on file that aren't related to any of the complaints I'm seeing on MBWorld. I intend to search those ODI#s to see if I can find actual names to put onto this list. For now I'm just using "PE12001" as a placeholder for those entries.

I plan to contact my new best friend at NHTSA and give him this information and ask him to update his investigation summary to show not 20 reported cases.....but 49 cases. We are starting to really accumulate some good numbers here, and I want to thank everyone who is helping to feed me information and for those of you who are going to the NHTSA site and filing official claims.

-G

Last edited by GregMB; 10-05-2012 at 04:10 PM. Reason: updated chart...
Old 10-05-2012, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
03 E55 AMG, 06 Harley Road King Custom 06 Ram 2500 Cummins, 97 Firebird Race Car, 88 Cutlass Supreme
Originally Posted by WHTEVO
No he has not filed, yet. I am passing the link on over to him so he can file for the claim.

Aaron
Please push him to get it done. If we can get this pushed through he may be entitled to a refund.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: My NHTSA ODI# 10476870 Details - E55 Fuel Leak Safety Complaint.