W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cause for Concern ? Battery related "problem"....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 then E63, now back to an E55
Cause for Concern ? Battery related "problem"....

First, I cannot see the stamped date on my main trunk battery because I believe it must be on side and not visible?
Second, I am on phone so cannot search - though I would appreciate if someone could comment with the best way to get a new battery (I recall it involves Roadside Assistance) - and is the cheapest, easiest way ??

Here is the issue: Developed an exhaust leak from cracked manifold. Continued driving car for a few weeks, got progressively worse. Ordered MBH long tubes & hi-flow cats and then the car REALLY started to sound like a bucket of bolts from engine block so parked her in the garage. Car sat for 2 weeks, started once during this time for 3 mins.
Had the car towed to exhaust install shop, fired it right up, flat-beded her in for the work. Headers came with no gaskets, sourced my own from dealer which were overnighted (Thanks for the tip Steve! :-)
After 2 days at shop - car was finished. Pulled up as they were tightening clamps, we went to back out of bay and NOTHING - absolutely Zero power. No lights, no electronic trunk, nothing. Used key to open trunk, small jump box didn't have enough juice, used a large box on wheels. Sooo dead even that box needed to sit for about 7-8 mins.
Anyway drove car around to run errands, leaving running but using small key to lock doors while leaving unattended. After about 1.5 hours of that, got home & parked in garage and made sure my own jump box was charged.
HOWEVER, now it appears to be fine and hold a charge. I personally looked and NOTHING was left on at exhaust shop - no lights, etc. Granted, the battery has NOT been tested yet, but would it be strange for it to go dead for apparently no reason?
I cannot remember how old the battery is... although (I think) about two years which would be premature..... Thanks a ton!!!
Old 10-07-2012, 03:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07' SL65, 04' E55, 03' Evo8, 08' GSXR, DSM's...
Check your voltage on the cluster and see if it keeps dropping while the car is running. If it doesn't i'd say your charging system is working. It sounds to me like they left something open or on for too long while working on it. Good luck.

Aaron