MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   W211 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg-81/)
-   -   Smaller SC Pulley + Big Crank Pulley Who Is Running This? (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/467638-smaller-sc-pulley-big-crank-pulley-who-running.html)

black06c230 10-19-2012 07:57 PM

Smaller SC Pulley + Big Crank Pulley Who Is Running This?

So who is running a 180 or bigger crank pulley with the smaller SC pulley? Anyone with any thoughts on the experience?

AKnight55 10-19-2012 08:06 PM

Your going to run a 195+ smaller s/c pulley? Talk about heat

black06c230 10-19-2012 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by AKnight55 (Post 5400951)
Your going to run a 195+ smaller s/c pulley? Talk about heat

KC + Meth = heat under control

AKnight55 10-19-2012 08:13 PM

Your first 2 gears must be useless though

blackbenzz 10-19-2012 09:03 PM

There is a point of diminishing returns when spinning a SC past its efficiency

SilverStrk 10-19-2012 09:07 PM

I am Serously looking to add this plus the belt wrap kit to the arsenal.. Am also considering 82 TB as well..

All info on the kit is greatly appreciated.. The good the bad and the ugly... I've personally only heard positives so that's a huge +.... Let us outsiders in on your fun...

Hammer Down 10-19-2012 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by blackbenzz (Post 5401006)

This ^^^^^^

black06c230 10-19-2012 11:20 PM

This is why I wanted to get impressions and comments back before doing this. I didn't want to get it all done and not see good results.

GT-ER 10-19-2012 11:23 PM

While this is true, SLR's spin them to the moon...lol.

skratch77 10-20-2012 09:22 AM

I'll be a guiny pig Andrew let me run your sc pulley lol and yes I don't see a reason to run over a 185mm pulley as max boost.you are just going to heat soak after a few pulls

blackbenzz 10-20-2012 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by black06c230 (Post 5401109)
This is why I wanted to get impressions and comments back before doing this. I didn't want to get it all done and not see good results.

If you find out how many rpm it can efficiently spin the rest is simple math for pulley sizes

Originally Posted by GT-ER (Post 5401113)

Do you know how many rpm they spin it?

S13REMI 10-20-2012 09:46 AM

im glad this came up. it was in the plans this winter to do a 185 asp pully and a super charger pully. obviously supporting mods would have been there as well. im really interested to see where this thread ends up.

S13REMI 10-20-2012 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by blackbenzz (Post 5401393)
If you find out how many rpm it can efficiently spin the rest is simple math for pulley sizes

i found a thread a few month ago talking about this and slr super chargers. ill try and find it again. there was good info in there if irc

CharlyE500 10-20-2012 11:09 AM

From my understanding, bigger crank pulley generate heat and smaller SC pulley doesn't. I think the best combination will be 168m crank + smaller SC pulley = 185m crank pulley without the same level of heat. The question is how to tune the car with combination pulley and what's the power level 40Whp ?

Havoc 10-20-2012 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by GT-ER (Post 5401113)

I have an SLR blower I'm putting on my SL55 with a 178mm crank pulley and smaller S/C pulley. That should make it spin to Mars!! :eek:
Just like the SLR, I'm trashing the stock inefficient cooler and using top mounted coolers to help with cooling efficiency. Not sure what to expect but I'll find out shortly. :nix:

GT-ER 10-20-2012 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by blackbenzz (Post 5401393)

Do you know how many rpm they spin it?

I did the math a loooong time ago and it was pretty damn high. They have the same screws we do but they have a higher gear ratio inside the SC and people put large pulleys on them...lol. 600+whp are no joke though but I bet it taxes the intercoolers big time.

Ted Baldwin 10-20-2012 12:11 PM

......overall, I've been a bit confused why there isn't more widespread use of the smaller s/c. Does anyone know of a problem with it? Otherwise, I don't get why we all don't use it, instead of using increasing sizes of the crank pulley. Only reason why the larger crank pulley got so popular in the AMG market, was because vendors for large crank pulleys claimed at the beginning that creating a smaller s/c for the E55K engine was not humanly possible due to the s/c clutch. This obviously is not true now. So why are we still buying larger and larger crank pulleys? Anyone know?

Ted

blackbenzz 10-20-2012 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by CharlyE500 (Post 5401489)
From my understanding, bigger crank pulley generate heat and smaller SC pulley doesn't. I think the best combination will be 168m crank + smaller SC pulley = 185m crank pulley without the same level of heat. The question is how to tune the car with combination pulley and what's the power level 40Whp ?

That is incorrect. The heat is generated from spinning the SC. Whether you go bigger crank pulley or smaller SC pulley doesn't matter, its the rpm the SC spins at.

Originally Posted by Havoc (Post 5401492)
I have an SLR blower I'm putting on my SL55 with a 178mm crank pulley and smaller S/C pulley. That should make it spin to Mars!! :eek:
Just like the SLR, I'm trashing the stock inefficient cooler and using top mounted coolers to help with cooling efficiency. Not sure what to expect but I'll find out shortly. :nix:

Can't wait to see your car done! :y

Originally Posted by GT-ER (Post 5401516)
I did the math a loooong time ago and it was pretty damn high. They have the same screws we do but they have a higher gear ratio inside the SC and people put large pulleys on them...lol. 600+whp are no joke though but I bet it taxes the intercoolers big time.

I knew the gearing was different and with much better intercoolers but I'd like to know what rpm the blower is efficient too. That will tell us how far to go with pullies.

blackbenzz 10-20-2012 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin (Post 5401544)
......overall, I've been a bit confused why there isn't more widespread use of the smaller s/c. Does anyone know of a problem with it? Otherwise, I don't get why we all don't use it, instead of using increasing sizes of the crank pulley. Only reason why the larger crank pulley got so popular in the AMG market, was because vendors for large crank pulleys claimed at the beginning that creating a smaller s/c for the E55K engine was not humanly possible due to the s/c clutch. This obviously is not true now. So why are we still buying larger and larger crank pulleys? Anyone know?

Ted

Hi Ted, hope everything its going well and that monster E55 its still tearing up the concrete. The reason is because the SC pulley being sold won't spin the SC as much as some would like. Even a 180 crank pulley generates more boost.

Hulk 10-20-2012 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin (Post 5401544)

Ted

The SC pulley has been around since April or may, that is why more are not using it because they already have the larger crank pulley, some are starting to try the SC pulley along with the larger crank pulley

Forrest Gump 9 10-20-2012 12:27 PM

I have 180 and small sc pulley. I did some math and it come out about 192. The highest boost I've ever see was 15psi for a split second. Also I have never run my car in fourth gear, boost may be higher in fourth.

As for why we are not seeing more small sc being run, it's because of the sc shaft and bearing. Snowgard was able to made a 82mm sc pulley but it was very costly. Shardul & Co sc pulley is 84mm. If they can find a thinner bearing they can make the sc pulley even smaller.

S13REMI 10-20-2012 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Forrest Gump 9 (Post 5401579)
I have 180 and small sc pulley. I did some math and it come out about 192. The highest boost I've ever see was 15psi for a split second. Also I have never run my car in fourth gear, boost may be higher in fourth.

Im surprised you don't see more. since the advertised boost for a 180 pulley is 15 psi. i wonder if it has something to do with when your tuner has the bypass valve opening?

Forrest Gump 9 10-20-2012 12:55 PM

I don't know, the small sc pulley has netted me about .5-.75 psi. I was somewhat unhappy, but it got me my goal. On 70 degree days my first two gears are useless and I run 285 wide rear tires.

GT-ER 10-20-2012 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Forrest Gump 9 (Post 5401616)
I don't know, the small sc pulley has netted me about .5-.75 psi. I was somewhat unhappy, but it got me my goal. On 70 degree days my first two gears are useless and I run 285 wide rear tires.

Your 2nd gear is useless? You run the wrong tires then...lol.

cij911 10-20-2012 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by GT-ER (Post 5401634)
Your 2nd gear is useless? You run the wrong tires then...lol.

Agreed....First gear, yes you can spin all day long, but 2nd and up you should be fine....I have read that some / many spin their tires at 100mph, which I just can't understand how....