Sponsored by:

Powder Coat or Paint Wheels & Finish

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 W211
Powder Coat or Paint Wheels & Finish

So im thinking of buying some wheels very soon most likely avant garde m550 or vossen cv3s.

they dont have the finish i want. So im thinking of powder coating or painting them. Any Suggestions

Also want to get a little poll going on the finish...matte black or gloss piano black.

the grill is high gloss black and so is the bottom grills along with the badges.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
06 e55,81SC Targa,08 CLK63 BLK,91 E34 M5
Nice car
Old 10-23-2012, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07' SL65, 04' E55, 03' Evo8, 08' GSXR, DSM's...
I would do gloss black.

Aaron
Old 12-30-2012, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW M5, Jeep SRT8, MB E63
I can offer a bit from my experience-

I had a Jeep SRT8 which has stock 20" durabrite (semi-chrome) wheels. I first had them painted - it was a shorter process and I had read touching them up matched better than touching up powder, in case of any curb rash (super wide truck, gf occasionally parallel parks it ).
Issues with paint - when they did it the first time, they did not paint the full barrel - just the front face.
Took it back, said I wanted the full wheel painted - they painted the barrel. However, they did not remove the tire, so there was a thin visible line of silver at the wheel.
Due to heat and brake dust, the wheels eventually got to a point that I couldn't seem to clean them completely. I was also scared of pressure washing - they had a coat of clear, but because I could see the edge of the paint at the tire, I wasn't comfortable with that.
When there was a scratch, the paint flaked a few times - very small flakes, but flakes off none-the-less. Lots of touch-up paint.

I finally got tired of it and had them powdercoated. For PC they have to remove the tire and coat the entire wheel - there is no edge to the coating from leaving the tire on. The finish was flawless. The place I went to, their primary business is coating components for Boeing's 787 - they were the only place I found that put a powder coat of clear over the base - everywhere else sprays a paint clear coat.

I was very happy with the results, but I'll never have a black wheel again. Any damage, even the slightest, will show silver underneath and be obvious.

That said - all places I talked to offer a semi-gloss or satin black. It's not dead-looking like flat black, and for me, I don't like gloss black on wheels. This is a perfect middle ground. A tiny bit of luster.

Expect around $160-190 a wheel, which around here (Seattle) includes repair of any existing curb rash.

Cheers!
Old 12-30-2012, 09:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CTSV/6sp Grocery Getter
I would go with gloss black powder coat