Sponsored by:

Front left DRL acting up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Front left DRL acting up

So recently my car randomly says that my front left DRL(daytime running lights) is not working and when i look at it, it is actually off and only my right one is working. Most of the time there is no error but randomly it will do it. I think its due to my recent upgrade to LED white bulbs for the license plate lights that could be making it throw the error.

What do you guys think? Do i need to get the voltages or something reprogrammed?

Thanks in advance
Old 11-05-2012, 11:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
'03 E55 (My Daily), '01 ML 320 (Wifey), Twin Turbo '69 Camaro (In Progess)
I have had aftermarket LED DRLs stop working on me, though the connector plug the bulb sits in can be a little on the temperamental side. Ensure that you are getting the DRLs with integrated load resistors as LEDs will otherwise cause an error code due to the very low voltage they draw. You might start by pulling the plug out with the DRLs on and see if the bulbs were too loose. Seating them fully in the plug was not necessarily the optimal location to ensure a positive connection, or so I found it to be the case.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:36 PM

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by bbearden
I have had aftermarket LED DRLs stop working on me, though the connector plug the bulb sits in can be a little on the temperamental side. Ensure that you are getting the DRLs with integrated load resistors as LEDs will otherwise cause an error code due to the very low voltage they draw. You might start by pulling the plug out with the DRLs on and see if the bulbs were too loose. Seating them fully in the plug was not necessarily the optimal location to ensure a positive connection, or so I found it to be the case.
I still have the stock DRLs, i only replaced the License plate lights in the back from stock to LEDs... I just feel like those are messing up the system and making the DRL act up... but not sure..
Old 11-06-2012, 12:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
'03 E55 (My Daily), '01 ML 320 (Wifey), Twin Turbo '69 Camaro (In Progess)
I have the DRLS up front switched out to LED as well as the license plate bulbs and have no issues whatsoever. I don't quite know how the rear bulbns would affect the fronts. Can you confirm you used ones with load resistors?
Old 11-07-2012, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
E55 AMG
I assume you are referring to the city lights? If so, is it possible that the bulb has simply burned out? It is, iirc, a T10 wedge type bulb and easy to remove and check.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:10 AM

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by jmb614
I assume you are referring to the city lights? If so, is it possible that the bulb has simply burned out? It is, iirc, a T10 wedge type bulb and easy to remove and check.

Do I need to some how open the headlight fixture or can I do it by opening the hood.. any help or tutorials much appreciated.