Sponsored by:

Weird Problem With Power Drop Off

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 SL600
Weird Problem With Power Drop Off

Hey all, I have about 70k miles on my 2006 and had Eurocharge flash it a couple of months ago and have noticed some random power drop offs. The car just had it's 70k service and MB said it was in great shape and didn't recommend anything. First time I noticed it was on the freeway at night playing with a Z06 we had both put the pedal all the way down and the car went to about 130 mph and just kind felt like it wouldn't do anymore and I let off and was getting off the free way. The next time it happened last night when I was getting on the freeway behind a Challenger and we both floored it on the on ramp and I crawled up his *** and passed him but it dropped off on power as well at around 100 mph so I let off the gas and it held the RPMs in the sport mode and I tried accelerating again and it felt like a 2 litre 115 HP motor. No shudder, no noise, no smell. Got off the freeway to head home and went through the modes, sport/comfort/manual and accelerated from the lights and it acted normal... It's intermittent and not necessarily because I've been ******* the **** out of the car or anything. I mean, when I got on the freeway the car was warmed up and driven a couple miles under normal conditions and then just played with that Dodge a little bit accelerating on the freeway... Anyone heard of this or had this happen to them before? Any idea what it could be?
Old 11-16-2012, 04:51 PM

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
W212 E63 AMG S Model
Originally Posted by Dostovel
Hey all, I have about 70k miles on my 2006 and had Eurocharge flash it a couple of months ago and have noticed some random power drop offs. The car just had it's 70k service and MB said it was in great shape and didn't recommend anything. First time I noticed it was on the freeway at night playing with a Z06 we had both put the pedal all the way down and the car went to about 130 mph and just kind felt like it wouldn't do anymore and I let off and was getting off the free way. The next time it happened last night when I was getting on the freeway behind a Challenger and we both floored it on the on ramp and I crawled up his *** and passed him but it dropped off on power as well at around 100 mph so I let off the gas and it held the RPMs in the sport mode and I tried accelerating again and it felt like a 2 litre 115 HP motor. No shudder, no noise, no smell. Got off the freeway to head home and went through the modes, sport/comfort/manual and accelerated from the lights and it acted normal... It's intermittent and not necessarily because I've been ******* the **** out of the car or anything. I mean, when I got on the freeway the car was warmed up and driven a couple miles under normal conditions and then just played with that Dodge a little bit accelerating on the freeway... Anyone heard of this or had this happen to them before? Any idea what it could be?
Welcome to the world of failed intercooler pumps!

That would be my first guess... especially if you have power and then you're losing it.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:12 PM

2004 E55 (sold) 2012 E350 4M
IC pump
Old 11-16-2012, 05:37 PM

2008 SL600
Awww ****. Well is the one that Eurocharged sales, the Johnson pump, is that the right one? And no offense, gents, but is there a way I can find out for sure before putting the money into it? lol
Old 11-16-2012, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
A Merc
You can get a scangauge or dashdaq to check your iats but go with the new updated pump from Bosch, you can pick it up for 100$
Old 11-16-2012, 05:44 PM

2008 SL600
Originally Posted by Hulk
You can get a scangauge or dashdaq to check your iats but go with the new updated pump from Bosch, you can pick it up for 100$

Excellent, fine sir, thank you! Is there a particular model number or somewhere you recommend at that $100 price point?
Old 11-16-2012, 06:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
A Merc
Fcpeuro.com

Bosch 010 pump