W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise from a stop (low speed <10mph)... need help identifying it.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 04:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
e46 m3, w211 e55
Noise from a stop (low speed <10mph)... need help identifying it.

So i had this a while ago....went away and now hearing it again. From a stop and usually going between 3-8mph i hear it. Sound like a grown noise if that makes sense.

I tried to capture it on the following video, but the volume here is really low. Any one have thoughts on what it is I would appreciate it.

p.s. almost sounds metallic / grown (im wondering if it could be related to rotors? / no vibration though in the wheel braking and rotors dont appear to have play that would indicate ball joints)

Old 11-17-2012, 07:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
I was not able to hear the noise since the video for some reason crashes my chrome.

start the car and keep it in park and keep the windows rolled down. Press and decompress the brakes 4-5 times and if the sound is still there then it is the brakes air pump, that is simply refilling cylinder and that is normal. No need to worry about it
Old 11-17-2012, 08:05 PM

e46 m3, w211 e55
Thanks i will give that a try tomorrow... but it def does not sound like something normal to me. Will report back.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CTSV/6sp Grocery Getter
I heard it right at the beginning of the video and don't know what to tell you. How are your motor and transmission mounts? Maybe they are worn/collapsed and transmitting some noise/vibration into the cabin at low speed?
Old 11-18-2012, 07:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07' SL65, 04' E55, 03' Evo8, 08' GSXR, DSM's...
I can't say that i have heard that sound before either. Does the car still feel smooth or does it jerk while it is making that sound?

Aaron
Old 11-18-2012, 09:03 PM

2003 E55
Kinda hard to tell but it sounds like it changes with wheel speed rather than rpm. If you can easily reproduce it every time go play around with it, parking brake on/off, car rolling in neutral/drive, brakes applied/off. Almost sounds like the pads are sticking in the caliper or something. Any recent work done on the car?
Old 11-18-2012, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 Pewter E55, 1931 Ford P/up, 1951 Ford Custom
Try jacking the wheel off the ground and check the bearings, a little slop and it could make some vibration type humm from the pads touching the rotor.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:47 AM

e46 m3, w211 e55
Originally Posted by FASN8N
I heard it right at the beginning of the video and don't know what to tell you. How are your motor and transmission mounts? Maybe they are worn/collapsed and transmitting some noise/vibration into the cabin at low speed?
-yea its right at beginning of video. Not sure of their condition.

Originally Posted by WHTEVO
I can't say that i have heard that sound before either. Does the car still feel smooth or does it jerk while it is making that sound?

Aaron
Car is still smooth (only the noise) and it goes away over 8mph or so... also does not occur every time.

Originally Posted by Lelix
Kinda hard to tell but it sounds like it changes with wheel speed rather than rpm. If you can easily reproduce it every time go play around with it, parking brake on/off, car rolling in neutral/drive, brakes applied/off. Almost sounds like the pads are sticking in the caliper or something. Any recent work done on the car?
- I cant reproduce every time.. however i have narrowed it to stop to slow speed about 3-8mph...then it goes away.

Originally Posted by Voodoo Trucker
Try jacking the wheel off the ground and check the bearings, a little slop and it could make some vibration type humm from the pads touching the rotor.
Is there a specific reference on where i should look at the bearings?

Thanks everyone for the suggestions / feedback. Its small but really annoying so would like to tackle this.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:47 PM

Not so much a reference but there are specs, yes. Really your just taking the load off the wheel and rotor to check its play (looseness). I had a car recently that we thought it needed brakes or the caliper needed rebuilt but in actuality the wheel bearing were shot.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:56 PM

e46 m3, w211 e55
I always thought bearings were bad if you heard them more at higher speeds increasing in volume.. rather than the minimal speeds I am hearing it. Although I will jack up the car and check as you said to see if anything appears loose.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:01 PM

Truely hard to diagnose anything at speed with all the ambient noise. Don't rule the possibility that the pads are not retracting far enough and are just barely touching enough to vibrate, just gotta stick your head in there and start looking around. LOL.
When was the last time you had flushed the brake fluid? Serviced the brakes and calipers?
Old 11-19-2012, 11:04 PM

e46 m3, w211 e55
Originally Posted by Voodoo Trucker
Truely hard to diagnose anything at speed with all the ambient noise. Don't rule the possibility that the pads are not retracting far enough and are just barely touching enough to vibrate, just gotta stick your head in there and start looking around. LOL.
When was the last time you had flushed the brake fluid? Serviced the brakes and calipers?
I haven't touched the brakes since i got the car (last march or so). When I went in for pre purchase inspection they were in OK condition. I'll have a look at the pads / rotors... if you have any specific things to check regarding brakes please let me know.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:11 PM

I think 3mm is the point that they are due to be changed, I usually see the techs using a green and a yellow thickness guage to measure the pads, and I somehow remember the yellow is 3-4mm. Probably find that info in the DIY sections on here.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07' SL65, 04' E55, 03' Evo8, 08' GSXR, DSM's...
I would definitely check the wheel bearings and make sure your wheels are torqued down tight. Had a somewhat similar noise in my talon and it was from a couple lug nuts didn't get torqued tight enough from brakes plus :O

Aaron