W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Special Tips on Cleaning the Wheels and Calipers?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 03:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any Special Tips on Cleaning the Wheels and Calipers?

Ok, loving the....I mean who wouldn't. Anyway, I have been a little bit annoyed when it comes to washing and cleaning the brakes on the E55. I will go about washing the rim along with what I can reach on the inside of the rim and then follow along with washing the calipers. The first time I washed the calipers, I had to mave the car a couple of inches in order to gain access to some of the caliper being blocked by the spokes. Since then, I can now slide around a small sponge through all the nooks and cranny's to get the caliper cleaned up without moving the car:o

Now here is thr dilemma....once the car is rinsed and dried, I will go for a spin and dirty brown rusty water would come out of the rotors I presume and dirty up the rim, calipers and the sides of the car

I've tried washing just the wheel first and then taking a spin but this only solves the problem of the side of the car getting splashed....since the car isn't washed yet, it doesn't really matter. But the wheels and calipers still get messed up.

Anybody use any other techniques to wash the wheels and brakes? And please, no replies like...."I have no problems at all.......since I let my detailer wash my car:p"

I prefer to detail my own cars

Last edited by TuffGong; 07-29-2003 at 06:27 AM.
Old 07-29-2003, 07:09 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
C63S past: E90 M3 6M, w211 E55
i use a gas leaf blower on the car, and the wheels after i wash them. this for the most part dries up the water with one pass, and i never get streaks down the side of the rim. only problem is the brown tint they get after 2 days of driving
Old 08-01-2003, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63
Here's my solution: I went to Kragen's and bought a Nikota air compressor for $99. Also bought a 60' air hose along with a blow tip. After every wash, I simply walk around my car and blow the water from all the nooks-n-crannies, eg., the mirrors, front grill, license plate area, lug nuts, wheels, etc. Now you can easily drive away and have no water dripping from the car, nor wheels with black-water streaks. Plus, the air compressor will now allow you to properly and conviently fill your tires. It's my favorite "toy."