Needswings intake

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 10:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Originally Posted by RedBullJnky
I have the Carbino python tubes and air box. Got them from another member.

That's why I'm doing it. Will do.

We have similar mods & I think some of our 1/8 & 1/4 speeds were pretty similar and you have the CF box and I have a custom intake. To Denroll IMHO it's just a matter of which intake you want to work and not necessarily which is the best intake.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
you to Hate
Originally Posted by Hammer Down

We have similar mods & I think some of our 1/8 & 1/4 speeds were pretty similar and you have the CF box and I have a custom intake.
I saw that. Do you have a pic of your intake?
Old 11-30-2012, 12:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 crossfire w/SL55 drivetrain installed by Rudy Compart Intake/Needswings best et-10.76 @ 129
ok here is how it needs to be done, and being we have all day it can be done that way.

someone (that wants to try my Needswings intake) needs to do their pulls or pull then we install the N W intake ,, they need to drive around for at least 1/2 hour for the ecu to adjust to the new air flow,, then we cool the car down and make another pull.. then we will see if it is what Needswings says it is. maybe we could do this on two cars, as RBJ's car has the ram tubes on it so the increase may be low but there will be a HP increase,,
the second car could be one with a stock intake so we can see the real
difference from stock to Needswings. JIM
Old 11-30-2012, 12:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
you to Hate
Originally Posted by amx1397
ok here is how it needs to be done, and being we have all day it can be done that way.

someone (that wants to try my Needswings intake) needs to do their pulls or pull then we install the N W intake ,, they need to drive around for at least 1/2 hour for the ecu to adjust to the new air flow,, then we cool the car down and make another pull.. then we will see if it is what Needswings says it is. maybe we could do this on two cars, as RBJ's car has the ram tubes on it so the increase may be low but there will be a HP increase,,
the second car could be one with a stock intake so we can see the real
difference from stock to Needswings. JIM
Not a problem Jim.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
05 White Pano E55, Cadillac CTS-V
Going from stock to needswings and larger airbox to needwings sounds like a great idea. And having the car at similar temps when the run is done. Like you said both being cool to keep things consistent as we know that one run to another can vary on these cars with nothing changed so trying to then change something would make things even tougher unless the car was cold both times.

The only "problem" I see in this is I assume people that will be on the dyno that day are there to be tuned, so be sure that a dyno run before they have tuning isn't used to then compare to a run later on with the intake which also would happen to have some tuning, not for the intake but for the car on that particular day which could skew things.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
99 ford lightning
I wish i could sell a product and know nothing about it but ifs and maybe
Old 11-30-2012, 08:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
A Merc
In many cases I do agree with that statement however here, Amx is putting it all out on the line by doing before and after comparisons on a dyno day with many cars there, so this is will put to rest the ifs and maybes
Old 11-30-2012, 08:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
99 ford lightning
thats usually done before have a product with a very big price tag. I have lots of contacts if this doesnt pan out and i would do it the right way
Old 11-30-2012, 08:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A Merc
I agree, if this only. Yields 5-10hp there will be lots of pissed off people and needswings will look bad
But like was said, he's stepping up to the plate, better late than never
Old 11-30-2012, 09:49 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
SRT-6
The price tag is the only bitter pill to swallow. I lucked out and found mine used, so I got a sweetheart deal on it. But even for the Crossfire boys, the thermal-coated DCAI is a cool $1,000. That's especially steep, given the average SRT can be had for $16,000-$18,000

As Hulk said, it's all about aftermarket options. I've seen members on this forum shell out $2,000+ for a carbon airbox, and the gains would be similar. There are many (both on this forum and on my "home" Crossfire forum) that simply won't pay a grand for an intake, no matter the gains. And many have made their own with mixed results.

It all comes down to priorities, and what each person is willing to spend to mod their exclusive AMG vehicle. Some want those $2,000 pieces of carbon, only the best will do -- others want to piece something together from scratch, using aluminum tubes and silicon elbows. No wrong way to go about it.

All the best,
Old 11-30-2012, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
'06 E55
I'm interested to see how the gains stack with other mods. Might be a small increase on a stock car, but one that has been uncorked on both ends with a larger throttle body, heads, headers, and some pulleys would benefit much more, I'd imagine.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A Merc
This all remains to be seen, it can yield big or small,the dyno will tell and I'm sure a few cars will test it out tomorrow

Now we must also remember that lowprofile has a stock intake and he still makes a very fast car.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 E55
Looks like Fabtech is taking notes

Old 11-30-2012, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A Merc
Please keep him out of this thread or better yet this whole forum, he's a cancer
Old 11-30-2012, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55, CTS-V Wagon, Duc 1098R
I went ahead and built a custom y-pipe to replace the 80mm mercedes y-pipe. Same day dyno I gained 15hp's going with the custom y-pipe attached to stock airboxes.

We also know taking the filters out of the factory airboxes increases power alot. I saw about 20hp's on the dyno with them removed so a good filter system can help some but not make up the full 20.

As far as what I have now, I gained 25hp's total with the custom y-pipe and inline filters as shown in my avatar. Total cost was about $400 with some elbow grease and welding. Unfortunately no track data so take it for what it is worth...
Old 11-30-2012, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

25whp or are you estimating at the crank increase? If it is wheel horsepower and the variation wasn't from a warm car pre intake dyno and a cold car post intake dyno and actually equivalent operating temps than that is pretty sold if you ask me and I think I need to get rid of my stock intake with K&N filters and do something better.

I just find it tough to judge mods with these cars when I have seen mine do like 480whp on a first run (not cold) then a few minutes later do another run where it was down to like 460s and then a 3rd run after having the car cool (supercharger not hot to the touch) and was at 499. It did the same thing a different day on a different dyno, just different numbers because one was a dynojet and one a dyno dynamics.

That is a pretty big shift in power right there with absolutely no changes so for example I could have installed an intake while I was letting it cool down after either of my first 2 runs and saw a good "improvement" but in reality it was simply the car was hot one run and cold on another.

I can definitely believe that the stock system is restrictive with the stock Y among other things, just not exactly sure how much whp it is worth, but 25whp is a pretty hefty gain.

What mods did you have at the time when you did the intake change?

Also, avatar is to small, have a bigger pic?

Last edited by urbamworm; 11-30-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:54 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
this is the system I had made for a member. I think I still have a couple of Y pipes some where

Old 11-30-2012, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by urbamworm
25whp or are you estimating at the crank increase? If it is wheel horsepower and the variation wasn't from a warm car pre intake dyno and a cold car post intake dyno and actually equivalent operating temps than that is pretty sold if you ask me and I think I need to get rid of my stock intake with K&N filters and do something better.

I just find it tough to judge mods with these cars when I have seen mine do like 480whp on a first run (not cold) then a few minutes later do another run where it was down to like 460s and then a 3rd run after having the car cool (supercharger not hot to the touch) and was at 499. It did the same thing a different day on a different dyno, just different numbers because one was a dynojet and one a dyno dynamics.

That is a pretty big shift in power right there with absolutely no changes so for example I could have installed an intake while I was letting it cool down after either of my first 2 runs and saw a good "improvement" but in reality it was simply the car was hot one run and cold on another.
Yes cool in both cases. I run meth pre and post SC so my supercharger is always cool and I have the IAT's for both runs and they were within 5-10 deg F of each other.

I also believe many have seen 15hp's from the renntech box which is essentially a better y-pipe since it uses the existing filters BTW...

I have better pictures in my profile if anyone wants to take a look. PM me if you want a parts list since I put something together a while back for a few members on here...

Last edited by adianaty; 11-30-2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by adianaty
Yes cool in both cases. I run meth pre and post SC so my supercharger is always cool and I have the IAT's for both runs and they were within 5-10 deg F of each other.

I also believe many have seen 15hp's from the renntech box which is essentially a better y-pipe since it uses the existing filters BTW...

I have better pictures in my profile if anyone wants to take a look. PM me if you want a parts list since I put something together a while back for a few members on here...
That is awesome then. And man it must be nice having meth before and after the supercharger. Is the car tuned for it? I thought about meth when I first got the E55 since I run it in my turbo Audi and it is great, but after seeing a few people have problems with losing power and running rich when installing it, I just gave up the idea.

EDIT: What the heck throttle body do you have? That thing looks huge! And that wasn't part of the intake upgrade right?

Last edited by urbamworm; 11-30-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55
The wheels in the background and those heads are both on my car now, lol.

RIP Hadi's car

Originally Posted by shardul
this is the system I had made for a member. I think I still have a couple of Y pipes some where

Old 11-30-2012, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by urbamworm
That is awesome then. And man it must be nice having meth before and after the supercharger. Is the car tuned for it? I thought about meth when I first got the E55 since I run it in my turbo Audi and it is great, but after seeing a few people have problems with losing power and running rich when installing it, I just gave up the idea.

EDIT: What the heck throttle body do you have? That thing looks huge! And that wasn't part of the intake upgrade right?
I'm tuned for AFR with the meth but left the timing the same. There is more to be gained with the timing but you will loose safety. Without meth my AFR is 11.8, with meth its 11.3 so if it ever fails I'm still safe.

The picture is of a 90mm TB I'm working on. Just need some time to wrap it up.

PM me if you have other questions, don't want to hijack the thread.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Dirt Scooters
Originally Posted by adianaty
I went ahead and built a custom y-pipe to replace the 80mm mercedes y-pipe. Same day dyno I gained 15hp's going with the custom y-pipe attached to stock airboxes.

We also know taking the filters out of the factory airboxes increases power alot. I saw about 20hp's on the dyno with them removed so a good filter system can help some but not make up the full 20.

As far as what I have now, I gained 25hp's total with the custom y-pipe and inline filters as shown in my avatar. Total cost was about $400 with some elbow grease and welding. Unfortunately no track data so take it for what it is worth...
We did a custom y pipe with 3 1/2 pipe and the inlet necked down to the 82mm TB for my build. I went from 565hp to 619hp but on another dyno (both 248 dyno jets) and jerry added some fuel in the tune but i know that intake was much better than what it replaced.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Anyone can get the infamous fangs intake and make it work for about $700 powder coated
Old 11-30-2012, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55
Originally Posted by e55amgrocket
We did a custom y pipe with 3 1/2 pipe and the inlet necked down to the 82mm TB for my build. I went from 565hp to 619hp but on another dyno (both 248 dyno jets) and jerry added some fuel in the tune but i know that intake was much better than what it replaced.
I'd buy one of those. Got a spare?

How did the rest of the intake look and where was the filter placement?
Old 11-30-2012, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by shardul
Is that 3" piping? What is the size of the part of the Y that connects to throttle body?

I might be interested in one of the Ys if you have and find one. How much? Not completely sure if I would want to make a different intake or not but I suppose it would be pretty easy to get some 45* bends of 3" intercooler piping and some couplers and weld something up to finish the rest of the intake.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Needswings intake