Sponsored by:

Transmission issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 01:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Transmission issues

So, my 2006 E55 starting banging gears super hard (it always randomly banged 2nd gear, but not this hard and not every gear)

Then, it started banging gears hard and acting weird.. Then started slipping pretty bad and even went into neutral once. (this all started happening after I bottomed out on a speed bump the day before and after that it started whining louder and louder until this started happening.)

Took it to a friends shop, changed the filter and he changed the fluid (i'm pretty sure it was low).. He used junk fluid (which is why I will be doing a flush soon)

So, after he did that.. the trans stopped slipping (even though I think it is still a bit low) but still doesn't seem to be able to make up it's mind at times on which gear it wants and it also shifts really rough.

I will be doing a full flush of fluid and changing the ground plate.. My question is, is there anything else that could be giving me issues that I should replace while I am doing all of this already?

I read something about solenoid valves on the valve body?...hmmm.. Just want to get it all squared away at once.

Please help thank you guys in advance, i appreciate it.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
14 S8, 07 E63 Designo, on order 14 G63
Get it checked out by Indy or MB dealership. They can pinpoint the issue with the transmission easily/correctly first time.
My friend had kinda similar issue (trans not shifting, banging etc..) he had to replace the conductor plate on his car (big $$$).
Old 12-04-2012, 12:59 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
2011 G55 + others
Before you do anything else make sure to replace the adapter plug on the aide of the transmission just above the oil pan. They leak and can cause a lot of issues.

Even if it doesnt leak on the ground I would still replace it as thwy can leak inside andfluid can end up being pumped through the harness into the tcm.

Replace that plus fluid and report back.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CTSV/6sp Grocery Getter
My car was shifting rough from first to second, the dealer found no error codes... They swapped in a control unit from another E55 and the car started shifting perfectly. They replaced part number 035-545-39-32
This is just a shot in the dark, but I thought I would throw it out there. Good luck