W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 E63 engine whine (when rev'd and when driving)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E 63 AMG
2010 E63 engine whine (when rev'd and when driving)

So I have owned my 2010 E63 AMG for about 3 months. I bought it from a dealer and it's a Cert Pre Owned still under fact warr. It's been interesting to say the least. First I had to take it back to have the airomatic suspension compressor replaced then I had that whistle noise issue that should be fixed by replacing the PRV. Mine was replaced yet that didn't solve the issue. So they spoke with the regional AMG tech who told them to just replace the entire air intake housing (and something else, I don't have the paperwork in front of me) which fixed the whistle noise the car was making. The issue I have is that in gears 1,2 and I think 3 the engine makes a high pitch whine noise that is tied to the RPM's (even in park when its rev'd) so I don't think its tied to the tranny only. It sounds like when you see an older car going fast in reverse that loud wind up almost supercharger noise. Now my AMG isn't SC'd so any ideas what it could be? Performance doesn't seem off but it seems odd to me that the engine on this car would sound so whiny and high pitched at those lower RPM's etc. Please help its driving me nuts and I don't think the dealer here in Pembroke Pines has a ton of exp with these cars from a service standpoint.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:00 PM

2007 E63 AMG (Dubai), 2009 BMW X5 4.8i Sport (PA)
Did you mean the PCV (Purge Control Valve)?

Check your paperwork and post details on what else they did. It could be a pulley or something on that chain, if it correlates to RPM changes. Try to take a video and post it up here.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:56 PM

E 63 AMG
OK so here is what I found in the paperwork:
9/2/11 it shows warr work on the pressure sensor, valve unit, 1. The car fax says that on this date the air suspension compressor replaced/repaired
As part of the CPO work my paperwork shows they replaced the brake pads front and back and replaced the coolant temp sensor. To do this it shows the tech R&R the right engine air induct, drive belt, upper idle pully. Could this be the reason for the noise do you think?
The first week I had the car the Airmatic malfunction light came on and I brought it in to the dealer. The found code c156c00. They performed a software update and check. They did a test on the airmatic compressor and it FAILED the test. They replaced the compressor and the relay. They checked for water inside the hose and didn't find any. They let the car sit for 72 hrs and found no leaks, checked the level, did a new pneumatic test and it pasted and the malfunction light has not come on since. So I guess that solved that issue.
After this issue I started to notice a whistle noise as well as the whine I am hearing now. So I took it in again. When I took it in for the whistle noise they first replaced the pressure regulator valve and replaced that but it didn't solve the issue so when I brought it back they replaced it again to make sure the one they put in wasn't bad and after checking a bunch of things narrowed it down to the entire intake manifold with throttle actuators. They ended up replacing the complete manifold due to the amount of time it had been in the shop and that I had just bought it and the whistle noise was fixed and has not come back.
I thought that the whine noise went away after they changed the PRV the first time but now it seems louder than it has ever been. The whistle noise is gone and the airmatic issue seems to have been fixed.
Any ideas, what I don't want is them to tell me they can't find an issue but I know that the car did not sound this way when I test drove it and it's a really annoying noise for a car with only 32k miles and less than 3 yrs old. Any ideas guys? I've read where some people have had issues with whine noises and it's their ABC pump. Does this model and year even have an ABC pump?
I want to try and get some ideas to tell them so they can have a few places to check because like I said I don't know how much exp their service techs have with the newer AMG's. I would think they would since they sell a lot of them and they are all over my area here in South Florida/Miami area. Thanks for any help.

I took a video of it with my Blackberry and posted it to youtube so you can hear the sound. Its even more defined after driving the car for a bit and can be heard loud in parking garages etc. Makes the sound when rev'd in N and P as well as when in gear being driven. Sounds very "winding ish, spooly, whiny"

http://youtu.be/8THCQmwhfPY

After listening to other youtube videos I may wonder if the sound is normal but its so loud (esp after the car is warmed up and moving at slow speeds and low gears) and seems so "off". You guys tell me if I am losing my mind or not.

Last edited by tdeyulia; 12-06-2012 at 12:39 AM.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:35 AM

2004 Pewter E55, 1931 Ford P/up, 1951 Ford Custom
If you're mechanical enough to remove the belt and run it for a minute, it could help pinpoint if it's related to something belt driven, such as the tensioner pulley.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:08 PM

E 63 AMG
I am not. I have an apt to take it in this Tuesday. I am going to ask that they check the ABC pump as well as the belts and pullys. Do you think it could be related to the diff or tranny? My guess would be no since its RPM related and makes the noise when in N and P and you rev it. But did it sound off to you when you heard it? The gear whine noise seems more profound when its actually in drive at low RPM's and gear 1,2 or 3. I hear it very much when arriving and leaving my office parking garage.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:07 PM

2004 Pewter E55, 1931 Ford P/up, 1951 Ford Custom
It's so hard to say bud, but starting diagnosing with the easy stuff is what any good mechanic will do to try and control your costs. Best of luck and let us know what the outcome is ok, so we can follow for the future owners. Steve.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:12 PM

E 63 AMG
Originally Posted by Voodoo Trucker
It's so hard to say bud, but starting diagnosing with the easy stuff is what any good mechanic will do to try and control your costs. Best of luck and let us know what the outcome is ok, so we can follow for the future owners. Steve.
Well lucky for me there wont be any costs because the car is under factory warr and also a CPO so they need to figure out what the deal is regardless of what is involved since CPO's are supposed to be mint when they sell them. Esp since I am a repeat customer from that dealer and this is an AMG not some low end C class etc. What i am hoping someone here can tell me is some ideas what they think it could be so i can help direct the dealer to look at and not have them keep my car for weeks on end trying to figure it out etc. To figure out what the whistle was they had to work with a regional MB rep and ended up replacing the entire maniford to fix the issue. At the end of the day I will make enough noise that im sure it will get solved but i dont want to lose my car for a month while they try and figure it out or tell me nothing is wrong then something really bad goes wrong.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:16 AM

07 E63. 07 STi limited #606/800
Originally Posted by tdeyulia
this is an AMG not some low end C class etc.

i dont want to lose my car for a month while they try and figure it out or tell me nothing is wrong then something really bad goes wrong.

Our cars are used as taxi's in europe! lol

Ask if they can provide a loaner car, as you just bought the damn thing!
Old 12-11-2012, 03:18 PM

E 63 AMG
Originally Posted by infantry
Our cars are used as taxi's in europe! lol

Ask if they can provide a loaner car, as you just bought the damn thing!
I have a loaner from them. They checked and said its not a pulley which surprised me. I drove it with the head tech and he heard the noise I am hearing. Said it sounds like the torque converter but he thought it sounded normal but there is no way normal is that high piched at that low RPM's. It sounds like my other BMW does in first gear at like 4800-5000 rpms but its only at 1200-1800 rpms.

They said they compared it to another AMG E63 customers and thought the noise when rev'd sounded the same but the noise really can be heard driving it. I told them thats still not a control group cause how do we know that persons car isnt messed up too. They are working on it and prob will end up inspecting the TC as well as the tranny. I hope they can figure out what it is cause its so annoying and loud to me I would not have bought the car if it sounded that way when I test drove it. I told them that I'd sell it is thats the normal sound the car makes and move back to BMW and they all got really supportive they would do whatever it took to make me happy and solve it after I said that. Didnt shock me since I own 2 of MB's we bought from them already and this is my 4th MB from their dealership in the last 5 yrs.

Ill keep you posted on what comes out of all this. But it sucks paying basicly 30$ a day to drive a C250......Gurrrr.....

Last edited by tdeyulia; 12-11-2012 at 03:20 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:31 PM

E 63 AMG
Any of you guru's have any ideas for me. The tech yesterday said he thought the noise was normal but its so loud and wasnt there when I bought the car. All the similar cases I have read about on here involve a diff trans than what the 2010 E63 has. I would have thought it was the torque converter but I read that my car doesnt have one it has a wet cluch. Im at a loss here. Anyone have any ideas I can use to have the dealer look into? Its been over there since last Fri. and they are looking for a 2010 E63 to try and compare it to but God knows how long that will take. Its so annoying if that gear/trans/engine whine at low speds in 1st 2nd and 3rd is infact normal Ill prob get rid of the car (at a huge loss due to FL 6% sales tax) and get something else. Id hate to have to do that. Please help, Im at my whits end.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:41 PM

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
2014 E63s 1993 mazda rx7 on Boost
Beat it to death since its covered

What ever is wrong will fail making it easy to fix :-)

I have an 07 and no noise as you described.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:15 PM

E 63 AMG
Originally Posted by sunil517
What ever is wrong will fail making it easy to fix :-)

I have an 07 and no noise as you described.
I'm sure it will in a few yrs the day the extended warr is up LOL. I called another dealer here (FT Lauderdale MB) and spoke to a SA there who seemed very knowledgable of this model car and he said it should under no circumstance be whiny or windy at all since its all motor and has no SC or Turbo. He said to have them check the pulsation dampener pump because he has seen that cause the issue i explained. He said its in the front left side of the motor which is where I thought I heard the noise too. I called at told my deal to look at that. If my dealer cant figure it out Ill just take it to the other dealer and have them look into it. He also said that it wont always trigger a fault in the computer either so its not always easy to find. I think the FT Lauderdale dealer sees alot more AMG's then the Pembroke pines dealer.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 s560 sedan
my belt tensioner had gone bad on my 08 e63 and it whined like a blower . did you check the tensioner pulley?????????
Old 03-20-2013, 05:46 PM

2008 CL63; 2007 R63; 1996 993 C4S; 2014.5 Range Rover LWB
I'm sure it will in a few yrs the day the extended warr is up LOL. I called another dealer here (FT Lauderdale MB) and spoke to a SA there who seemed very knowledgable of this model car and he said it should under no circumstance be whiny or windy at all since its all motor and has no SC or Turbo. He said to have them check the pulsation dampener pump because he has seen that cause the issue i explained. He said its in the front left side of the motor which is where I thought I heard the noise too. I called at told my deal to look at that. If my dealer cant figure it out Ill just take it to the other dealer and have them look into it. He also said that it wont always trigger a fault in the computer either so its not always easy to find. I think the FT Lauderdale dealer sees alot more AMG's then the Pembroke pines dealer.
Any update on this? This just started happening on my '08 about a week ago - exact same sound and circumstances. Used to be quiet as a mouse ... 'cept for the exhaust note of course :-)
Old 03-20-2013, 06:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
07 E63
To me your car sounds very rough in general.. mind doesnt sound anything like that.. and its three years older.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
1992 911 C4, 2008 P2 E63 AMG (gone but not forgotten), 2007 SL65 Renntech
Here you go dude. Video of mine. Sorry its dark. Had to do it quick or the wife would get mad this time of night. Garaged with the hood up.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
1992 911 C4, 2008 P2 E63 AMG (gone but not forgotten), 2007 SL65 Renntech
BTW - Mine just days ago had a check up at Barrier in Bellevue. They see lots of these and said she is in very good shape.

I am a newer owner so I can't really comment on the noise you are hearing. Granted with the hood up they are much louder than with it down.

I heard some of the noise your video shows which you can hear in mine. I can tell you at WOT she sounds like satan trying to get out of a cage inside to the driver. So it may be these cars are just to loud for your liking.

I can get a better video tomorrow if you want.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 CTSV auto, 06 E55 white pano, 87 Grand national, 63 split window
I am still trying to figure out the $30 a day for the loaner car! They charge you or did you mean $30 a day is the cost of your payment to drive their lesser benz?

Anyway, here is what I have learned but this is e55 experience. I looked at many e55's and e63's before accidentally finding the 2004 e55 I have now. In all the cars I looked at I never 'noticed' a noise in those. When I got this e55 I noticed a whine and immediately removed all the belts and the noise is still there, hence it's the engine. I brought it to 2 different benz only guys (benz' is all they do) and both guys told me how quiet it was compared to others that they have heard! lol

The question is, are the 6.3 motors the same in this aspect? Hopefully someone will chime in who knows this answer for you.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by 60nomad
I am still trying to figure out the $30 a day for the loaner car! They charge you or did you mean $30 a day is the cost of your payment to drive their lesser benz?

Anyway, here is what I have learned but this is e55 experience. I looked at many e55's and e63's before accidentally finding the 2004 e55 I have now. In all the cars I looked at I never 'noticed' a noise in those. When I got this e55 I noticed a whine and immediately removed all the belts and the noise is still there, hence it's the engine. I brought it to 2 different benz only guys (benz' is all they do) and both guys told me how quiet it was compared to others that they have heard! lol

The question is, are the 6.3 motors the same in this aspect? Hopefully someone will chime in who knows this answer for you.
I can chime back in :-)

re: $30 per day: At my MB dealership the "loaners" are outsourced to Enterprise. They offer MB vehicles but can charge you (at discretion of service advisor).

re: '04 E55 whine: I owned a 2001 S55, NA 5.5L V8. As you mention it had a wonderful whine under heavy acceleration. Almost sounded like a very quiet supercharger (but of course it wasn't). I would get complements from folks on that very noise. The engine made that noise from day 1.

re: 6.3 motors: I currently own two NA 6.3L (6.271 actually) vehicles. I have an '07 R63 and the '08 CL63. The R63 is quiet, no whine at all. The CL63 had been even more quiet (due to more sound deadening in the lux car) until two weeks ago when the annoying whine started.

I have a service appointment coming up for the CL and was hoping to get some ideas so as to point the tech in the right direction.

Last edited by 2008CL63; 03-21-2013 at 04:06 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 CTSV auto, 06 E55 white pano, 87 Grand national, 63 split window
Originally Posted by 2008CL63
I can chime back in :-)

re: $30 per day: At my MB dealership the "loaners" are outsourced to Enterprise. They offer MB vehicles but can charge you (at discretion of service advisor).

re: '04 E55 whine: I owned a 2001 S55, NA 5.5L V8. As you mention it had a wonderful whine under heavy acceleration. Almost sounded like a very quiet supercharger (but of course it wasn't). I would get complements from folks on that very noise. The engine made that noise from day 1.

re: 6.3 motors: I currently own two NA 6.3L (6.271 actually) vehicles. I have an '07 R63 and the '08 CL63. The R63 is quiet, no whine at all. The CL63 had been even more quiet (due to more sound deadening in the lux car) until two weeks ago when the annoying whine started.

I have a service appointment coming up for the CL and was hoping to get some ideas so as to point the tech in the right direction.
Sounds like a similar scenario only mine is more annoying at idle after that you cant even hear it. When I looked at others with a little less miles than mine, I never seemed to notice any whine but they probably had it...I just didn't notice it. Just a guess.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:21 PM

Update: In the shop now. They seem certain it is due to the pulsation damper. I will find out tomorrow when I get it back.

Update's Update: Pick up car tomorrow. Shop said the pulsation damper was the cause. We shall see ...

Update's Update Update: It was the pulsation damper. She is nice and quiet now. Beautiful.

Last edited by 2008CL63; 04-17-2013 at 10:36 PM.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:14 AM

So I have owned my 2010 E63 AMG for about 3 months. I bought it from a dealer and it's a Cert Pre Owned still under fact warr. It's been interesting to say the least. First I had to take it back to have the airomatic suspension compressor replaced then I had that whistle noise issue that should be fixed by replacing the PRV. Mine was replaced yet that didn't solve the issue. So they spoke with the regional AMG tech who told them to just replace the entire air intake housing (and something else, I don't have the paperwork in front of me) which fixed the whistle noise the car was making. The issue I have is that in gears 1,2 and I think 3 the engine makes a high pitch whine noise that is tied to the RPM's (even in park when its rev'd) so I don't think its tied to the tranny only. It sounds like when you see an older car going fast in reverse that loud wind up almost supercharger noise. Now my AMG isn't SC'd so any ideas what it could be? Performance doesn't seem off but it seems odd to me that the engine on this car would sound so whiny and high pitched at those lower RPM's etc. Please help its driving me nuts and I don't think the dealer here in Pembroke Pines has a ton of exp with these cars from a service standpoint.
Pulsation Damper. It will be covered under warranty ... was for me.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:42 PM

E 63 AMG
Thanks to 2008CL63 for his updates. I dropped it off today and told them to check the pulsation dampener as it fixed all the issues 2008CL63 had which he told me were exactly all the same things i described my car is doing. Ironically i just red through the posts I mad a while back and see and now remember that when i called another local MB dealer and asked the tech on the phone what he thought he mentioned to have them check the pulsation dampener. Not sure why i wasn't more forceful that they really look into that. If they try and tell me its fine and still normal i am just going to take it to the other dealer and see what they think the issues with the noise and the hard clunky downshifts into 1st gear when coming to stops is. Ill keep everyone posted as i get more info. Thanks to everyone on here for their contributions. So glad this monster is under fact warr :-)
Old 04-20-2013, 09:34 AM

E63 AMG
Pulsation Damper. It will be covered under warranty ... was for me.
Thanks for the information on this. Could potentially be helpful in the future. Any idea what caused this part to go bad?
Old 04-20-2013, 09:57 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
'72 Fleedwoot
What a nightmare!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2010 E63 engine whine (when rev'd and when driving)