MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   W211 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg-81/)
-   -   Weird Braking Problem, Dash lit up / error messages and lack of brakes. Advice needed (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/473414-weird-braking-problem-dash-lit-up-error-messages-lack-brakes-advice-needed.html)

jpohl402 12-08-2012 10:54 AM

Weird Braking Problem, Dash lit up / error messages and lack of brakes. Advice needed

Tooling down the road like normal, then a very strange occurrence of events.
Have fairly new (def good enough) brake pads, rotors, etc.

1. E-brake light in clock display lit up (red, "brake")
2. In tach, ABS light (orange) lit up
3. In instrument cluster, displayed message "ESP malfunction"
4. That almost immediately changed to large red background message with stop sign, saying "STOP. Reduced braking power. Depress brake pedal firmly."
5. Engine RPMs jumped up to 4000 and stayed constant there - I was not on gas!
6. Heard a loud whirring sound from engine bay, kind of like a pump or tank or something? I'm really not exactly sure. Not the radiator fan though.
7. Had very little brakes, went almost to floor and very spongy feeling.

Slowly pulled into turning lane off highway, brakes were terrible. Steady red "STOP - Reduced braking power" message in cluster.

Turned off car, cluster then changed to "STOP. Brake Failure! Start Engine"

Ignored it, waited 2-3 minutes, restarted - and almost the strangest thing of all, nothing seems to be wrong now. Runs and drives fine..... Any ideas ? Thanks

FASN8N 12-08-2012 01:22 PM

Battery, alternator, or voltage regulator likely on the way out...

stevevmaloney 12-22-2012 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by jpohl402 (Post 5461027)
Tooling down the road like normal, then a very strange occurrence of events.
Have fairly new (def good enough) brake pads, rotors, etc.

1. E-brake light in clock display lit up (red, "brake")
2. In tach, ABS light (orange) lit up
3. In instrument cluster, displayed message "ESP malfunction"
4. That almost immediately changed to large red background message with stop sign, saying "STOP. Reduced braking power. Depress brake pedal firmly."
5. Engine RPMs jumped up to 4000 and stayed constant there - I was not on gas!
6. Heard a loud whirring sound from engine bay, kind of like a pump or tank or something? I'm really not exactly sure. Not the radiator fan though.
7. Had very little brakes, went almost to floor and very spongy feeling.

Slowly pulled into turning lane off highway, brakes were terrible. Steady red "STOP - Reduced braking power" message in cluster.

Turned off car, cluster then changed to "STOP. Brake Failure! Start Engine"

Ignored it, waited 2-3 minutes, restarted - and almost the strangest thing of all, nothing seems to be wrong now. Runs and drives fine..... Any ideas ? Thanks

Hi Did you ever get a response about this event? I just changed my rotors and pads. Did a spiffy job I thought. But, when I started the car up, I got the exact same message as you but mine isn't going out!

jpohl402 12-27-2012 07:45 PM

Steve,
No I did not...
I haven't been driving the car much, but when I do, it hasn't done the error message. I never got it looked at yet....

djrabbi 12-27-2012 07:47 PM

Maybe brake sensors are faulty...try that instead of changing everything out.

I forgot to change my sensors on my E and I got this error

viren.89 12-27-2012 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by jpohl402 (Post 5484233)
Steve,
No I did not...
I haven't been driving the car much, but when I do, it hasn't done the error message. I never got it looked at yet....

The problem is .....

I was at the dealership to get a full check up of my car and asked the foreman that is the hydraulic pump noise means it's near it failure

"he goes , the car is 2004 and it's normal for it to make a little noise, if the pump fails , you will get the errors that you just described above ^^ press hard and all "

but I am not sure about the rpm problem.

moosejaw 12-27-2012 09:40 PM

SBC brake system failure possibly?
The SBC pump is covered by a 10 year warranty on the 03-04s.
Another reason to upgrade/shop around for 05-06
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...nit-aware.html

cls dragon 01-21-2013 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by stevevmaloney (Post 5479442)
Hi Did you ever get a response about this event? I just changed my rotors and pads. Did a spiffy job I thought. But, when I started the car up, I got the exact same message as you but mine isn't going out!

I'm having the same problem. I changed my brakes today and now all of a sudden I'm getting this code of Reducing brake power and depress the brake pedal fully. Like mentioned I thought I did a great job as I have multiple cars that I work on. I think I'll try and change the sensor as I did not have a new one on hand. Hopefully that saves me a trip to the MB dealership.

sweet_caribbean 05-19-2013 10:16 AM

very similar problem with my sl500 :(

Toadster 05-19-2013 11:19 AM

how's your AUX battery? maybe needs replacing?

only $67 online 14-BS battery

sweet_caribbean 05-24-2013 02:18 PM

The starter battery needs to be replaced.. The rear battery is fine. I'll check the battery and let you know if it makes a difference.

ced915 06-24-2018 04:34 PM

2006 Mercedes e500 4matic - get the reduced braking power message while driving on the road - car loses power and takes longer distance to stop - I pull over, stop and restart and regular braking power works - also get the depress brake fully message - how do you fix this problem?

Cultured 11-19-2018 09:21 AM

Did you ever get an answer here. I got the same warnings you described this morning on my sl65. What was the problem?