Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alignment/Crash bolts?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
03 E55 AMG, 06 Harley Road King Custom 06 Ram 2500 Cummins, 97 Firebird Race Car, 88 Cutlass Supreme
Alignment/Crash bolts?

Instead of having the dealer charge hundreds of dollars to replace a couple bolts, can you just swap these yourself in the driveway/garage? Where exactly do they go and is there four of them (one at each corner) orr????

Is there an easy way to tell if they are already in the car? I see an alignmnet in the cars dealer repair history, and when I had it checked myself recently everything fell within specs but it still has a slight pull. Dealer wanted around $600 for bolts installed plus the alignment or something that I felt was excessive. I had em make a slight change to the toe since I was in and being charged anyway but wanna get it done right, and at another dealer as the first left a bad taste in my mouth. They calimed their computer showed my steering wheel was way off center and the tech said it was like 90 degrees off when he drove it into the bay. I just drove in on the highway and its maybe off a degree or two if anything. I think they were just looking to get paid.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Porsche 911
Yes, it is possible to do in your garage if you have a floor jack, jack stands and tools to be able to break loose the nut.

You can look at the end of the bolt (threaded end) to see if they are slotted which indicates that they are adjustable. These are used to adjust camber when installed in control arm and caster when installed in thrust arm. If your camber is okay then you only need two to adjust caster in order to get rid of the "pull".

They are available at the dealer for about $25 and online for $12-20.
Attached Images  

Last edited by vntgspd; 12-12-2012 at 05:12 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
03 E55 AMG, 06 Harley Road King Custom 06 Ram 2500 Cummins, 97 Firebird Race Car, 88 Cutlass Supreme
Ok I was able to find several threads on this after finding the part number. Definitely something I can handle on my own then bring it in for an alignment. Thanks for your help!

Last edited by BBBSS; 12-12-2012 at 09:34 PM.