Sponsored by:

AMG virginity/ E55 wagon build thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 06:01 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 79 Likes on 77 Posts
AMG
I am in love!!! Car looks sick, thanks for the build thread for us to follow.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
uberwag, did you end up getting new rims for the scratches?
Old 01-29-2013, 09:01 PM

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
2017 SQ5 / 2012 Ferrari FF
No new rims-not worried about them that much. The car is a driver! Things are gonna happen, and I'm just trying to figure out the best way to keep them in shape (be it refinishing, touch-up paint, layer of clearcoat, etc).

Working with Vossen on it, and they will get me right! The wheels are awesome, and the color is growing on me so much that once I get the finish figured out, I'm going to color all the chrome to match the matte graphite of the wheels.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2005 E55 Wagon
Originally Posted by uberwag
No new rims-not worried about them that much. The car is a driver! Things are gonna happen, and I'm just trying to figure out the best way to keep them in shape (be it refinishing, touch-up paint, layer of clearcoat, etc).

Working with Vossen on it, and they will get me right! The wheels are awesome, and the color is growing on me so much that once I get the finish figured out, I'm going to color all the chrome to match the matte graphite of the wheels.
Uberwag, welcome to the wagon club!!! Your wagon looks great! By chance, can you post the AFR on your dyno run?
Old 01-30-2013, 12:50 PM

I'll ask Jerry and crew for the AFR on the Eurocharged tune (or if they are reading, feel free to post it up!), but it was literally off the charts rich (below 10.5) from ~3500 RPM onwards. To his credit, he didn't feel comfortable making it more aggressive until I had some more cooling mods done. For my original dyno by BenzWorks, I haven't been able to get the AFR unfortunately.

Did the split cooling, and cat-delete with x-pipe, and Eurocharged reflashed me last night. It has a noticeable, significant power increase, hope to re-dyno this week (Thursday or Friday it is supposed to be a little cooler in Orlando). I'd love to hit 550rwhp or 650 rwtq, but that might not be in the cars justttt yet.

Also hope to reroute my split cooling mod tonight so that it directly flows from intercooler into the resv before going through the heat exchanger. Currently there is a T between the {pump out} and the {intercooler in} chain that has a return going to the resv, and a T that has a feed from the resv into the {intercooler out} and {heat exchanger in} chain. Not an ideal setup. While I am down there, I'll be changing out the CM30 with a Bosch 010 pump based off some recommendations that it flows better (and the fact that I got a 010 pump super cheap).
Old 02-09-2013, 12:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG WAGON
Your wagon looks great! Das Auto! Damn making me jealous with all those mods! Id like to get my wagon some more goodies now!

I know the feeling i don't get many looks in my wagon but every once and a while some guy will pull up next to me and notice what it is and give the thumbs up. But overall definitely a great sleeper.

What made you switch over from CTSV? The reason i ask is I have been eyeballing some CTSV 6 speed wagons....and thinking about the switch back to manual transmission!
Old 02-11-2013, 08:08 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
C215 CL55 AMG, W124 500E, W210 E430, W124 300E
The car looks super sexy. Wow.... The RW Power Numbers are also just wow.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:34 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLS63 AMG
Coming along very nice. Great work!

Old 02-12-2013, 09:21 PM

@sonicboost - I decided to switch from the CTS-V for a couple reasons:
-One was because it was small. Nearly impossible to fit anything quasi large in the trunk, tight in the interior, and 4 adults was a tight squeeze. I had the Recaro's, which were great to hard driving, but SUCKED for long cruises/trips.
-Second was that they were depreciating pretty hard
-Third was that I wanted to go all-out on modding a car again, and I thought it was better to start with something with a lower entry cost with built-in rareness and exclusivity (W211 AMG Estates) than something nearly double the cost that there were already tons of.

Things I miss: the magnetic handling and tightness of the suspension,the LSA power delivery, the 6 speed auto was good for what it was, and the infotainment system.

If I had it to do over, I would have enjoyed the CTS-V wagon 6-speed without the Recaro's much more than my CTS-V. More rare, just as fast, handled great still, and the trans was solid. If you get a good deal on one, jump at it.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:36 PM

AMG WAGON
I hear what you are saying about the CTSV. I have been toying with the idea lately and reading up. I'm sure i can find a buyer pretty quick for my car but will need to wait until the prices come down a bit on those 6sp wagons, before i can make any moves. They're still around low 50s for a nice one. In the sedans I see what you mean that they are depreciating hard and that is why I started getting interested. I did hear the recaros gave some people issues with comfort and noise. Thanks for the info!

Well you have yourself a sweet powerhouse ride now so I'm sure you will enjoy. Looks like Vossen really got the fitment right on your wagon. Looks dope. Hope you get everything sorted out and keep us posted with any updates! Schmoke tire!
Old 02-17-2013, 10:51 PM

2007 E63 AMG Mercedes Benz
AAAARrrrgh color me jealous would have jumped at ittto back when I was shopping.(if they had had one near me,cali is bit far for me).Wife would have also been much quicker to agree,"honey its a WAGON for the family just look at all that hpower... Um room for stuff" .you are a lucky lucky man w great taste!
Old 03-23-2013, 07:07 PM

300E / E55 Estate
@ uberwag did you find that wagon on auto trader? Guy was selling for his father.
Looks good by the way!
Old 08-30-2013, 06:01 PM

Guess I better post an update here! It has been a while, and I've run through tires quickly (I've had to replace them all..in less than 7k miles haha). Caught some nail/junk in one of the rears, and decided to replace both with a different brand that they had in stock since I really needed the car. Then, on of the fronts was wearing really really badly on the inside due to a bad alignment. It worked out fine-at least now they are all fresh and all the same brand haha!

Bad front alignment was something I have really really struggled with. The culprit? Uneven ride height. At some point between when BenzWorks finished the car and now, I had someone play with the adjustment brackets because we thought it was too low and rubbing on turns. Turns out that was the headers, not the fender wall...but in all the toying with it, the passenger front was set lower than the driver's front, and kept having a bad vibration at speed. Had maybe 5 alignments done and redone, and at least 5 sessions of wheel balancing, along with replacing bearings, hubs, etc etc...nada. Finally took it to Merc dealer that offered me a deal on oil change, and I had them align it while it was there. They figured it out, balanced the ride height in STAR, re-aligned it again, and poof! All better! Crazy how things turn out.

Might be sending it back to Eurocharged here soon for a trunk tank, exhaust stuff, and a new tune (I am still running way rich at idle since I've de-catted). In the meantime, here are a few new pictures:

Old 08-30-2013, 06:05 PM

Oh yea, I forgot: I also bought those "Spyder" headlight replacements. Good deal, no fogging/haze, whatever...I figured "why not?"

It has been about 6 months, no problems. The look in person is pretty good, and the LED's are understated (which is what I was hoping for). I was worried that it was going to be too ricer and I was going to have to send them back, but they turned out really well for what I was willing to deal with.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
I wanted to point out that the graphite finish on my Vossen CV3s are horrible
I have all sorts of rock chips and scratches on mine. I would not get the graphite again
Old 08-31-2013, 03:35 AM

05 e55 amg
That's beautiful ! Nice
Old 10-24-2013, 02:56 PM

Update to my build:
For whatever reason, I kept having issues with the long-tube headers I had from BenzWorks. They worked with me a lot, and shipped me a brand new set...which I installed and still had some clearance issues (in the meantime, they reinstalled the headers I sent back on another E55 without the same rubbing). Who knows why it was happening, but I got sick of the vibration on heavy load and downgraded to a set of Kleeman headers that Eurocharged put in for me.

While there, I had them install a trunk tank to help with cooling, and a beltwrap kit. They were retuning it and I was just making too much boost with my 180mm crank and 84mm supercharger pulley..and even more so with a slightly more restrictive set of headers and a beltwrap kit catch some more boost. John and Jerry went through a TON of pulley combinations to find the right match, and we ended up with my 180mm and a stock supercharger pulley.

In summary, went from long-tubes to Kleeman mid-length headers, dropped back to the stock supercharger pulley, then added a trunk tank and a beltwrap kit. End result? More power, somehow! 569rwhp and ~630rwtq, A/F around 11.5 - 12.0 (and starting IATs around 60f). Those Eurocharged guys, given some time and flexibility, can work absolute magic on these cars.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:25 PM
SPONSOR

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
C63S
Update to my build:
For whatever reason, I kept having issues with the long-tube headers I had from BenzWorks. They worked with me a lot, and shipped me a brand new set...which I installed and still had some clearance issues (in the meantime, they reinstalled the headers I sent back on another E55 without the same rubbing). Who knows why it was happening, but I got sick of the vibration on heavy load and downgraded to a set of Kleeman headers that Eurocharged put in for me.

While there, I had them install a trunk tank to help with cooling, and a beltwrap kit. They were retuning it and I was just making too much boost with my 180mm crank and 84mm supercharger pulley..and even more so with a slightly more restrictive set of headers and a beltwrap kit catch some more boost. John and Jerry went through a TON of pulley combinations to find the right match, and we ended up with my 180mm and a stock supercharger pulley.

In summary, went from long-tubes to Kleeman mid-length headers, dropped back to the stock supercharger pulley, then added a trunk tank and a beltwrap kit. End result? More power, somehow! 569rwhp and ~630rwtq, A/F around 11.5 - 12.0 (and starting IATs around 60f). Those Eurocharged guys, given some time and flexibility, can work absolute magic on these cars.
Yes, it has been fun!

Thanks for the review/update !

-Phil
Old 10-24-2013, 03:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
EG8 | E46 | W211
End result? More power, somehow! 569rwhp and ~630rwtq, A/F around 11.5 - 12.0 (and starting IATs around 60f).

Awesome!!
Old 10-24-2013, 03:55 PM

Dyno Graphs

First is normal HP/TQ

Second has A/F overlaid with the HP graph

Lower IAT's help a lot, so this is going to be a lot more robust than a regular ol' Florida run off the street, with IAT around 90. But damn, that is solid power.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
Sweet!
Old 10-24-2013, 05:06 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 E55, 07 ML500
This is Literally where my numbers came in at... Good job....
Old 11-10-2013, 11:28 PM

BMW X5
Amazing build and stunning look! Love it!
Old 11-11-2013, 01:02 AM
Banned

Love your wagon
Old 11-11-2013, 03:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Gallado Spyder / AMG C63S / Cayenne
nice car. my cv3s chipped bad like yours . so I powder coated em ..... and it chiped again ... and fast ...

I don't under stand ... I don't drive anywhere dirty and I don't beat on my car often.