W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RED reduced braking power - visit workshop?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 11:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
RED reduced braking power - visit workshop?!

Well... Earlier in the day the car shut off at a red light ( twice in two days actually )... I'm not sure if this is related since my CPS is shot and I am far over due to replace it.

Well, I'm on the highway and I get a message saying that the battery is low and convenience functions are disables...

Drove 2 more minutes it said they were all restored.

Then drove a bit more through the day.. then was home for a while.. stopped a few more places.. then at a friends house.

When I came outside and started my car.. I got ESP malfunction and the RED brake message...

The alternator was recently replaced with a brand new regulator...

any guesses? Battery? (car does not hesitate to crank.. so front battery?)
Old 12-27-2012, 11:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07' SL65, 04' E55, 03' Evo8, 08' GSXR, DSM's...
I would start by replacing the CPS so you don't wind up stranded somewhere.

Got a check engine light?

Good luck.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
03 E55 AMG, 06 Harley Road King Custom 06 Ram 2500 Cummins, 97 Firebird Race Car, 88 Cutlass Supreme
If the front battery is original you may want to consider replacing it just as preventative maintenance. I'd throw a charger on the small battery at a 10 amp or so setting and let it do its thing for a bit and while it's still plugged in start the car. I had a red warning after the car sat a couple months that didn't want to go away till I started it with the battery charging. It was fine all year after that. I'm likely replacing mine in the spring for good measure. Your brakes run off this battery, I don't like the idea of it being old. I replace stuff early all the time cause I'm a weirdo and like to tinker though.

If the big $ SBC brake pump is dead its still under factory warranty so you know though. They were problematic so they were given 10 year unlimited mileage warranties.

Last edited by BBBSS; 12-28-2012 at 12:36 AM. Reason: is dead
Old 12-28-2012, 06:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by BBBSS
If the front battery is original you may want to consider replacing it just as preventative maintenance. I'd throw a charger on the small battery at a 10 amp or so setting and let it do its thing for a bit and while it's still plugged in start the car. I had a red warning after the car sat a couple months that didn't want to go away till I started it with the battery charging. It was fine all year after that. I'm likely replacing mine in the spring for good measure. Your brakes run off this battery, I don't like the idea of it being old. I replace stuff early all the time cause I'm a weirdo and like to tinker though.

If the big $ SBC brake pump is dead its still under factory warranty so you know though. They were problematic so they were given 10 year unlimited mileage warranties.
Still covered with a reconstructed title?

Also.. Will the low battery notice come on with the front battery on it's way out?

Last edited by cwmateiuc; 12-28-2012 at 06:48 AM.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
03 E55 AMG, 06 Harley Road King Custom 06 Ram 2500 Cummins, 97 Firebird Race Car, 88 Cutlass Supreme
Can't say for sure on the title issue but I wouldn't mention it voluntarily. lol

Yes a weak front battery will throw the red convenience features disabled message. That was my problem. The car didn't seem to want to charge the front battery but once I got it's voltage up it was happy and worked like a champ again for the entire year.