W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody replaced their resonator with a muffler?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 11:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2005 E55 Wagon
Anybody replaced their resonator with a muffler?

I was curious if anybody replaced their resonator with a muffler? If you have, can you tell me why and psot pics? Thx ahead for any response.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
not really of any benefit to do this - on other types of cars ive done it, but not needed on the 55 IMHO

no drone to speak of - unless you cut the 2ndardy cats
Old 12-31-2012, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
one car at a time
Your signature states you already replaced your resonator with the X pipe ? What are you trying to achieve ?

Generally the resonator serves a slightly different purpose from the muffler, but is used in conjunction with the muffler to provide an exhaust sound the OEMs find "pleasing" or "acceptable" to their customer class. I think the problem you would have placing a muffler where the resonators are, would be space, and probably the only thing that would fit would be a cylindrical cherry bomb style / N1 / etc. , but it would need to be very small.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2005 E55 Wagon
Originally Posted by cij911
Your signature states you already replaced your resonator with the X pipe ? What are you trying to achieve ?

Generally the resonator serves a slightly different purpose from the muffler, but is used in conjunction with the muffler to provide an exhaust sound the OEMs find "pleasing" or "acceptable" to their customer class. I think the problem you would have placing a muffler where the resonators are, would be space, and probably the only thing that would fit would be a cylindrical cherry bomb style / N1 / etc. , but it would need to be very small.
There was an E55 at a local shop (out of town plates) that had everything stock, until you got to the resonator section, which instead had a Borla Pro XS muffler in the location of the resonator and the 2 OEM mufflers were replaced with straight pipe. I did not get a chance to speak with the owner of that car but the mechanic told me the car sounded great. I was curious if anybody else had that set up.

I know there is a member with a CLK 55(?) that had the same thing but with Moroso spiral mufflers instead of the OEM mufflers.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
one car at a time
If you were to do that, I think it would be better to place the muffler as far back as possible (towards back-end of car), rather than where the resonator sits ... I am guessing the shop did it they way you described for looks...