Blipping throttle on downshifts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 01:57 PM

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
W212 E63 AMG S Model
Blipping throttle on downshifts

Hey guys,

I was searching around and found there's no way for a TCU mod to add this feature in our transmissions, but I did find that some people are doing this manually by hitting the gas on their downshifts. Is there any negative impact to this on the transmission / torque converter? I was just trying it and it seems pretty fun and you get a nice roar out of the motor... would hate to know that it's hurting something.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C5 LS6 and CLS55
How is the C63 able to do it?
Old 01-14-2013, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Dirt Scooters
i do it that way myself and on my truck also. Actually helps increase pressure but you've got to make sure you get used to doing it and do it right.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Porsche 911
I'm not the expert but I think that it CAN be done (a la C63) but it is not possible in the TCU alone. I suspect this feature requires integration with the TCU and ECU and therefore would eat a LOT of programming time that may be tough to recoup in product sales.

Given that most people would not "manually" match revs on a regular basis when driving, additional wear and tear is not much of a factor. This assumes that you do it well as poorly timed throttle blips result in drive train shock which is definitely not good for components.

I do it periodically when driving but the slow shifting trans takes some of the fun out of it. I'm sure the TCU tune would help in this area!
Old 01-14-2013, 04:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'08 E63 Wagon
Few months back this thread pop up:
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/467274-attn-aussie-w209-e63-owners-throttle-blipping-option.html

Nothing came out of it, though.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:21 PM

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
W212 E63 AMG S Model
Originally Posted by vntgspd
I'm not the expert but I think that it CAN be done (a la C63) but it is not possible in the TCU alone. I suspect this feature requires integration with the TCU and ECU and therefore would eat a LOT of programming time that may be tough to recoup in product sales.

Given that most people would not "manually" match revs on a regular basis when driving, additional wear and tear is not much of a factor. This assumes that you do it well as poorly timed throttle blips result in drive train shock which is definitely not good for components.

I do it periodically when driving but the slow shifting trans takes some of the fun out of it. I'm sure the TCU tune would help in this area!
Does the ECU have control over when throttle is applied? If that's the case, a combination of a TCU and ECU tune could trigger events to simulate a throttle blip.

I know this is dumbing it down far too much, but wouldn't it be possible for the TCU to communicate with the ECU on logic similar to this:

When the car downshifts, have the ECU apply some throttle to raise the RPM by 1000RPM (for example).
Old 01-14-2013, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
2004 E55,1969 300SEL6.3,2011 ML350 BlueTec Diesel,2005 ML400 CDI
My old 2000 ML320 had a 722 transmission and would up-shift like a manual transmission at WOT. By that I mean it would actually release the throttle and then shift up to the next gear when the revs matched. I think this was done for torque limiting to the AWD drive train. Down shifting was normal. Clearly the ecu and tcu were in play. I suppose it is possible to get matched RPM down shifts in the E55, but at what cost.

The 7 speed in my CLK63 is an entirely different animal.