Sponsored by:

Weird Issue with the E55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A box
Weird Issue with the E55

Picked up a 2003 a few days ago.. and came across a weird issue..

I noticed that the steering wheel had a shake between 40-50mph... then went away.. so i figure it needed a wheel balancing.. while having them balance the Tire shop told me the tires were shot i need new tires.. i said ok.. Put 2 brand new Micheliens up front.. got then road forced balance. Still had a Vibration between 40-50mph... Went back they rebalanced all four Same issue..

The Weird part is that Today on the drive home.. the steering wheel started shaking Very bad at 40-50mph... i went faster .. all the way to to 90mph and the shake just go worse ! I slowed down to 20mph... then after that it went away and didnt come back anymore ! ???

Anyone with a issue like this ? Yes i also got a alignment to see if that was a issue.. Stock wheel.. they are not bent had that checked as well...

Is there a common Bushing/ball Joint/ control arm.. etc that are known for a RANDOM shake ?
Old 01-31-2013, 07:28 PM

Varies
I had similar issue with my M3 few years back. New tires, wheel balance, wheel alignment, nothing helped. My last option was to swap wheels and what do you know, no more vibration. No more HREs for me. No visual sign of any damage either
Old 01-31-2013, 07:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CTSV/6sp Grocery Getter
I bet you have worn ball joints or bushings up front, you may have experienced the same type of issues with the thrust arms in your 2000 BMW 528

Originally Posted by Qmax03
Picked up a 2003 a few days ago.. and came across a weird issue..

I noticed that the steering wheel had a shake between 40-50mph... then went away.. so i figure it needed a wheel balancing.. while having them balance the Tire shop told me the tires were shot i need new tires.. i said ok.. Put 2 brand new Micheliens up front.. got then road forced balance. Still had a Vibration between 40-50mph... Went back they rebalanced all four Same issue..

The Weird part is that Today on the drive home.. the steering wheel started shaking Very bad at 40-50mph... i went faster .. all the way to to 90mph and the shake just go worse ! I slowed down to 20mph... then after that it went away and didnt come back anymore ! ???

Anyone with a issue like this ? Yes i also got a alignment to see if that was a issue.. Stock wheel.. they are not bent had that checked as well...

Is there a common Bushing/ball Joint/ control arm.. etc that are known for a RANDOM shake ?
Old 01-31-2013, 09:41 PM

A box
^ Thank You guys... Im putting it up on a lift tommorow and looking forward to checking out all the Suspension component.. lets see what i come up with, i will post back incase anyone ever has a issue like this in the future.

-Q
Old 01-31-2013, 09:48 PM
s52

E63 P030
I experienced a bad shimmy in my 2004 Range Rover at 50-60mph... I thought it was the front wheels/ tires as well... wound up being a sticky brake caliper on the front left... so might want to make sure the front brakes are in good order if the wheels/ tires dont fix the issue!