W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Common M113k engine and transmission problems?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 5 Series
Common M113k engine and transmission problems?

Hi,

I am interested in acquiring an 55k powered Merc and I would like to know what common problems these engines have and how to resolve these.

1. I read that early models have a problem with the heat exchanger which resulted in coolant leaking into the transmission oil.

Which model years are affected? I assume this can result in an transmission failure?

Is the transmission reliable otherwise if no coolant is leaking into it?

Adding an external transmission oil cooler should help fixing the problem and the old watercooler can be retained?

I also read about transmission flushes. I assume these are necessary if coolant is in the transmission? Does such a flush get rid of all the coolant?

2. Furthermore what is the issue with the IC pumps? Do you suggest replacing them for aftermarket units?

I read that 2006 models received an upgraded pump?

Do you also recommend using an additional or a larger IC heat exchanger and even an IC tank?

3. I also read that the #8 cylinder is being affected by starvation which results in explosion.

Adding a loop to the fuel rail should help getting rid of the problem?

4. Some model years are supposed to have one, other two oil coolers. Which model years do have two oil coolers and do you recommend adding another one on early models?

5. Is there a problem with SC belt slipping which needs to be taken care of?

6. At what mileage does the supercharger usually needs to be rebuild?

7. Are there any other M 113 E 55 ML (the engine we are talking about here) specific problems I am not aware of like head gaskets, timing chain, oil or water pump or other things?

8. Are there any other engine related changes throughout different model years?

Thanks for all your help!! =)
Old 02-09-2013, 04:52 PM

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
2019 GLE 63 S Coupe 2020 E 63 S
Most of the problems reported here are self inflicted. The M113K motor is pretty much bulletproof in stock form. Buy one and enjoy.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
1000Hp Diesel Trucks, 2019 E63s
I would buy a 05-06. The only thing you need to worry about and I mean that in the least worrying way is the IC pump dying, they do go out. It's pretty much a non problem, if you keep your car stock when the pump goes out just replace it, it's cheap and easy to fix. If you want to modify the car then you have other things to worry about, just like modding any car.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:45 PM

2004 E55 AMG
Valve cover gaskets, rear main seal, conductor plate in tranny, s/c pulley bearing, ic pump needs to be updated to the 010 part number one, and of course automatic + suspension bushing failures.

Stay away from the 03's
Old 03-18-2013, 04:59 AM

BMW 5 Series
I read that there are barely any engine replacement parts (Like pistons, rods) available to buy from the Merc dealer for the supercharged M113 in case something brakes. Is this true?
Old 03-18-2013, 05:43 PM

07 Ducati S4R & 04 e55
If a piston or rod breaks, you are going to need A LOT MORE than a simple replacement for the rod or piston! You are going to need a new shortblock in all likelihood.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Blk04e55
Valve cover gaskets, rear main seal, conductor plate in tranny, s/c pulley bearing, ic pump needs to be updated to the 010 part number one, and of course automatic + suspension bushing failures.

Stay away from the 03's
I have an 03 and she hasn't given me any problem since I bought her. (knock on wood)
Old 03-18-2013, 06:47 PM

BMW 5 Series
Originally Posted by dvdt
If a piston or rod breaks, you are going to need A LOT MORE than a simple replacement for the rod or piston! You are going to need a new shortblock in all likelihood.
Can someone just answer my question? You did not...
Old 03-18-2013, 07:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
1967 Pro Touring turbo LSX Camaro
You're bound to get some obtuse answers because nearly question in your post could have been answered by using the amazing search feature that Vbulletin just introduced last week.

Originally Posted by nakedpants
Can someone just answer my question? You did not...
Old 03-18-2013, 08:55 PM

2003 E55 AMG
As a new owner of a 03 E55, what should I be worried about?

Considering my cars has 42k KM on the clock, any special maintainance or preventing maintainance I should take?

Cheers!
Old 03-18-2013, 09:40 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
Which model years are affected? I assume this can result in an transmission failure? MY2003 only

Is the transmission reliable otherwise if no coolant is leaking into it? Yes

Adding an external transmission oil cooler should help fixing the problem and the old watercooler can be retained? Defeats the purpose if you are still going to use the radiator to cool the trans fluid

I also read about transmission flushes. I assume these are necessary if coolant is in the transmission? Does such a flush get rid of all the coolant? Yes

Furthermore what is the issue with the IC pumps? Do you suggest replacing them for aftermarket units? They go weak over time and eventually fail. Bosch pump with the part number ending in 010

I read that 2006 models received an upgraded pump? Yes

Do you also recommend using an additional or a larger IC heat exchanger and even an IC tank? Yes

I also read that the #8 cylinder is being affected by starvation which results in explosion. Yes

Adding a loop to the fuel rail should help getting rid of the problem? Yes it helps

Some model years are supposed to have one, other two oil coolers. Which model years do have two oil coolers and do you recommend adding another one on early models?

Is there a problem with SC belt slipping which needs to be taken care of? All belts slip the slippages becomes more when you get a larger crank pulley

At what mileage does the supercharger usually needs to be rebuild? Only if it fails
Old 03-18-2013, 09:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
1967 Pro Touring turbo LSX Camaro
Change the bearings in the serpentine drive idlers. Those always seem to fail, but usually make squealing noises for a while first, so is not likely to strand you.
Since the car sat, you might want to consider changing the diff oil, Trans fluid, and flushing the brake fluid.
Originally Posted by edan82
As a new owner of a 03 E55, what should I be
worried about?

Considering my cars has 42k KM on the clock, any special maintainance or preventing maintainance I should take?

Cheers!
Old 03-18-2013, 10:21 PM

bmw
Most of the problems reported here are self inflicted.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:35 PM

2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Sir-Boost-a-Lot
Change the bearings in the serpentine drive idlers. Those always seem to fail, but usually make squealing noises for a while first, so is not likely to strand you.
Since the car sat, you might want to consider changing the diff oil, Trans fluid, and flushing the brake fluid.
Thanks!

actually once i bought the car 3 weeks ago i did the following:

change engine oil+filter+gaskets, change brake fluid, change cooling fluid, change air filter+a/c filter, changed cranck sensor, new tran oil+filter+some electronic unit in it, new diff oil, checked spark plugs (were ok), checked belts (good condition).

i think it should cover the "regular maintainance" part.

regarding the bearing you mention, i noticed when im starting acceleration (modorate, not pedal to the floor) theres for like half a second some squealing and than its gone (only on slow speed like 10-15 km/h when accelerating).
could it be related to what you wrote?
my first guess was maybe one of the engine pulleys need a replacement.

cheers!