Review: TheRetroFitSource and DDM Tuning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Review: TheRetroFitSource and DDM Tuning

A bit long but necessary,

A little while back I had made the decision to convert my fog lights in my E55 to HID's. I had done this on one on of my previous cars (B5 S4) and solicited the services of DDM tuning. Their kit worked pretty well with no real issues so I decided to give them a shot based on that and a few member reviews on here.

I purchased their 9006 Fog light kit and just in case the code canceling add on. After scratching my head a few times trying to get the kit to work a kind member told me to try switching the polarity (flipping the plug) this worked great actually but the car would constantly throw codes. I tried the DDM code canceler and to no avail. Sadly I simply settled that this was a necessary evil. The problem was down the road I noticed the HID's would rarely fire up the first time. I was constantly turning them on and off to get both ballasts to fire up. It became EXTREMELY annoying and eventually they stopped working altogether. After countless emails to DDM I never got a response. Being that the kit only ran about $50 total I chalked it up as a loss and tossed it in the scrap bin.

Not giving up I was referred (again by a kind member) to try https://www.theretrofitsource.com/ (to be referred to as TRS)as while they were quite a bit more they made a much higher quality product. I browsed the site and found the kit I needed. I then emailed TRS inquiring if this would be compatible with my car and if i needed the Canbus code eliminator. Unlike DDM they answered within 24 hours and said I would indeed need them and the kit was indeed compatible. $150 later I had an order in for a set of 6K 9006 Fog lights.

FFWD to a few days ago. The kit came boxed up in perfect shape and ready to install. Install was a breeze although again I had to flip the plugs as the traditional way wouldn't fire them up. More importantly the HID now fire up the first time every time and the quality of the light output was far superior.

TRS really sells a fantastic product and for those wondering...yes its worth the extra $100 to have a quality product and more importantly great customer service. While it is possible I just might of gotten a bad egg from DDM the fact that they never answered my emails or phone calls in a one week period is reason enough I wont be doing business with them.

TRS you are a stand up company and in an age when a companies word seems to mean very little its really nice to know there are companies out there that still hold it important and take pride in their product.

Thanks for reading!
Old 02-22-2013, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07' SL65, 04' E55, 03' Evo8, 08' GSXR, DSM's...
Thanks for the review. I was just looking at some stuff from DDM. Maybe i will go with who you recommended.

Aaron
Old 02-23-2013, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
I've used TRS twice and they are great. Will do it again in a heartbeat.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
did their 9006 kit just go up $10 to $160?

any coupons?

edit: I found if you use code TRS/HIDP you get free shipping!

Last edited by Toadster; 02-23-2013 at 08:40 PM.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 E320, 2007 Land Rover LR3 HSE, 2008 E350
nice write-up! ironically, i am looking to get a kit for my fogs! thanks.