W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Easter Egg" trick for Service E details???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
"Easter Egg" trick for Service E details???

I've got a "Service E" coming up...

The MBWorld archives linked to a document that shows how to access the specific services on the checklist that should be done. (Looks like an official MB WIS document)

It indicates that while the display shows "Service E in XXXX miles" you can press and hold the odometer reset button for 5 seconds to get into the deeper SERVICE MENU / SERVICE DATA. From there, you can write down all of the codes and look them up on the worksheet to confirm what is being suggested.

The problem is that I can't get my display to show the service warning in that format. Now mine is counting down in terms of days "Service E in 24 days"... and the odometer reset doesn't get me into the SERVICE menus the way the WIS document describes it.

Has anyone been successful pulling the detailed service codes using this procedure?

-G
Old 03-08-2013, 01:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 e55
Originally Posted by GregMB
I've got a "Service E" coming up...

The MBWorld archives linked to a document that shows how to access the specific services on the checklist that should be done. (Looks like an official MB WIS document)

It indicates that while the display shows "Service E in XXXX miles" you can press and hold the odometer reset button for 5 seconds to get into the deeper SERVICE MENU / SERVICE DATA. From there, you can write down all of the codes and look them up on the worksheet to confirm what is being suggested.

The problem is that I can't get my display to show the service warning in that format. Now mine is counting down in terms of days "Service E in 24 days"... and the odometer reset doesn't get me into the SERVICE menus the way the WIS document describes it.

Has anyone been successful pulling the detailed service codes using this procedure?

-G
key in #1 position get the mileage to show up. press odo reset 2-3 times fairly quick and when you will see battery voltage you are in. then go into service menu and if you go into additional items it will show you more..
Old 03-08-2013, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Porsche 911
And I think it matters if the door is closed or open. I have done this dance many times before but unfortunately can't remember the final trick.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
65 Chevelle Wagon w/ C5 frame, 08 ML63, 04 S600, 04 E55,(sold) 00 ML55,(sold) 98 C43-55K Swap
Door closed, key pos 1, cluster on the initial screen ( I believe it's outside temp on 211's) reset 3 times.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by groove66
key in #1 position get the mileage to show up. press odo reset 2-3 times fairly quick and when you will see battery voltage you are in. then go into service menu and if you go into additional items it will show you more..
Cool!

So it's a lot like going into "DYNO MODE" intially.... that makes sense, it seems like I'd come across the SERVICE menu before and remembered seeing it but no amount of scrolling with the steering wheel buttons was getting me there using the instructions from that WIS doc. I'll give that a try.

Thanks.

-G
Old 03-08-2013, 02:22 PM

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
W212 E63 AMG S Model
Originally Posted by GregMB
Cool!

So it's a lot like going into "DYNO MODE" intially.... that makes sense, it seems like I'd come across the SERVICE menu before and remembered seeing it but no amount of scrolling with the steering wheel buttons was getting me there using the instructions from that WIS doc. I'll give that a try.

Thanks.

-G
If you get it to work, go ahead and post your findings (what needs to be done for the Service to be completed) here... I'm going to have mine coming up soon as well.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by efiftyfizzle
If you get it to work, go ahead and post your findings (what needs to be done for the Service to be completed) here... I'm going to have mine coming up soon as well.
The "Dyno Mode" procedure worked like a champ!

You'll have to check the archives to find the WIS document, but if you search for "Service E" you should find it easily.

My details:

MILES REMAINING: 2733
DAYS REMAINING: 20

I don't drive much, so I'm sure that the service algorithm is basing my maintenance on elapsed time instead of miles driven. It would take me another 180 days to drive 2700 miles!!!

My understanding is that the SERVICE ITEMS are based on items that were previously done (and cleared from the system) as well as your overall driving style and other conditions.

Here's what it gave me for my SERVICE E:

Service 4 - Replace Dust Filter (E500) <- N/A?
Service 5 - Replace Fuel Filter (Engine 113)
Service 6 - Replace Activated Charcoal (E500) <- N/A?
Service 9 - Check Bodywork / Chassis corrosion
Service 11 - Clean and Lube Panoramic Sunroof
Service 12 - Oil and Filter Change (Engine 113)
Service 14 - General Engine Checks (Fluids, Belts, Battery,etc)

Under "Additional" it listed the following:

Service 1 - Check brake pads/rotors
Service 2 - Replace Air Cleaner Insert (Engine 113)
Service 4 - Replace Dust Filter (E500) <- N/A?
Service 5 - Replace Fuel Filter (Engine 113)
Service 6 - Replace Activated Charcoal (E500) <- N/A?
Service 7 - Replace Spark Plugs (Engine 113)
Service 8 - Replace Coolant (Gasoline Engines)
Service 9 - Check Bodywork / Chassis corrosion
Service 11 - Clean and Lube Panoramic Sunroof
Service 12 - Oil and Filter Change (Engine 113)

So the list contains some duplicates between the primary list and the additional list, as well as items that appear to be for the E500 (which don't apply)

I'm fairly certain that I recently had my brake fluid flushed, so I'm going to check my VMI to make sure they don't charge me for that one again. The spark plug service seems excessive with less than 40,000 miles on the ODO so I'll probably just wait until I have the headers installed and have a colder set installed then. Plus, the dealer wants something like $600 in labor for spark plugs.

Anyway, that's what MY "Service E" looks like. It's supposed to be between 4 - 5 hours worth of labor, plus parts so I'm sure if I don't negotiate this one with the SA they'll try to run me up to near $1000 for it.

-G
Old 03-08-2013, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Porsche 911
Pretty sure that the items listed under "Service E" are currently due.

The items listed under "Additional" are menu items that you can pick from if "extra" work was done at time of service. For example, if a radiator failed and new coolant was installed, you would show this as being done so that the computer would start the clock over on the 150K mile/15 year (?) interval for this service.

Hopefully someone else can confirm this...
Old 03-08-2013, 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,490 Likes on 986 Posts
This place is a joke.
The instrument cluster FSS has never right worked since 2003...a great idea by MB but even after multiple software updates the system gives erroneous information and turned out to be a disaster at the dealerships. You need to go by time/miles as specified on the sheet by MB.