Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 E55 totaled

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55
That is the idea! I have zero regrets on my purchase and would do it again in a heartbeat. It would be an absolute first to have a well over 500whp E55 for under 20k total investment.

On the flip side, I have seen good people get absolutely screwed buying a salvage title car that didn't have or were not aware of different services for buyers to have a vehicle inspected by professionals. I'm fortunate that I have the knowledge to be able to know what to look for when checking over a vehicle to ensure frame/structure integrity and to see what may have been replaced/cut/pulled/sprayed and judge if the car would be worth the time or to move on.

StockC43, That is pretty damn ugly! Was there any recourse for the buyer or were they completely screwed?
Old 03-27-2013, 11:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 193 Likes on 86 Posts
2014 cls63 a amg. 2018 AMG GTR
[quote=60nomad;5592486]
Originally Posted by forcefed4door
only problem is resale for the car is gonna be really bad. and most people will not buy a car with salvage title regardless. I would never buy a car with aftermarket paint.

100% correct!!!

I am sure your car is great for you with a salvage title but when you sell it you will get pennies on the dollar! It's as simple as that! I go to auctions, I have many, many cars and know the market as good as anyone. For what you posted earlier in this thread about your 'deal' on your car was only a curveball that threw me and anyone else reading it without disclosing that it was a salvage car! Me and others are only telling you the cold hard truth about values of salvage cars...especially mercedes cars! So, I am sure that you disagree with us so let's start a poll...

Who here would buy a slavage titled E55 or E63? This will show you how many buyers that you will have when you would like to get rid of your car! The car is an 05 with 60k miles and it was $17k (I don't know color, options, condition or if anything was needed) so let's assume that it was decent color and in decent shape. Let the poll begin with me...

I'm out!

...but I am in for $12k.
Well again it depends on the reason for salvage. A car with 20K damage in a wreck VS one that had 20K in cosmetic damage are very very different. I found a couple other "deals" but when I looked them up they had water damage for the salvage. One was a Loaded 2004 with 79K miles for $14K so its price was in line for a salvage but the water damage scared me off in a hurry. Dealers all had 04-05s with high miles for a lot more. For me knowing all the mechanics of the car that matter are very low was more important.

There was a guy on Ebay selling his 05 with 50K miles with Salvage for water and had it listed at 18.5K, wouldnt go any lower than 17.5K. Came to find out the odometer had been replaced so the 50K miles may have been much much higher. Very bad deal. People buy Salvage cars all the time. Just like clean title cars some are good deals and some are bad. Just need to be careful lie anything else.

I saved about 5-7K over what the car would have cost me. Like I said a local 2003 sold for about $20K with about 69K miles on it even though it booked at only 13-14. Just happens the amount I saved was exactly what I spent on mods plus install so basically I got all the mods I wanted for free or for the cost have not having perfect cosmetics. It was a good deal for me. I could have paid more but I have always liked getting deals not matter what I buy.

To each is own. I have bought and sold cars for a very long time. I dont get scared off without a good reason. I have personally repaired quite a few salvage cars and flipped them for pretty good money back in the day. some cars should be fixed some shouldn't.

Last edited by dllhg; 03-27-2013 at 11:08 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 3BNick
Best of luck to the OP on settling with the insurance company and getting a fair amount for a car that is super rare among its breed.

As far as salvage title cars go...The car is worth exactly what the buyer wants to pay. Nothing more. It may be a nice E55 but it can in no way be compared to an equally nice car with a clean title. That being said, I bought my 06 E55 from Manheim as I have a dealer license. The car is a salvage title due to prior vandalism which was fully repaired prior to purchase and is fully loaded with pano, keyless, sat nav, dynamic xenons and seats with 71k miles. The only thing I really had to do to the car to get it up to snuff was replace a worn oil pump. What did I pay for the car? $12,900. Why did I pay so little for such a nice car? Because with the title that was all it was worth to ME. Being in the automotive business, I know resale on the car is garbage and no one will be able to finance it so i'm stuck with it and I couldn't be happier. Best performance bargain for the dollar bar none. Salvage title cars work for some. For those who only wish to have clean title cars? That is entirely their choice and is a perfectly fine choice.
Screaming deal. Not a deal anyone else would be able to get though. These cars all fixed up still sell pretty well with bad titles.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
65 Chevelle Wagon w/ C5 frame, 08 ML63, 04 S600, 04 E55,(sold) 00 ML55,(sold) 98 C43-55K Swap
Originally Posted by 3BNick

StockC43, That is pretty damn ugly! Was there any recourse for the buyer or were they completely screwed?
As far as I know, he was screwed

I would buy a salvage car though depending on the situation. Just some cut leather, no prob, hail damage, no prob

I was actually looking for a 00-02 r129 for a while at the salvage auctions. Cars with very minor damage were going for $2-4k. Not a bad deal I think.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Used cars are always sold "as is". There could be water in the engine and it could seize up and you would have no recourse. The only time this changes is if there is an expressed warranty or you can PROVE the seller intentionally lied about it. For instance the seller says the motor is perfect, yet you can find proof from a shop he took it to showing it had water in the motor. Other wise the sky is the limit to the problems a car can have.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 CTSV auto, 06 E55 white pano, 87 Grand national, 63 split window
Originally Posted by dllhg
[quote;5592486]
One was a Loaded 2004 with 79K miles for $14K so its price was in line for a salvage but the water damage scared me off in a hurry.

I personally do not think that this price was even close to in line with the salvage prices and especially for a water damaged BENZ!...3BNick got a great deal especially given the circumstances of the salvage title.

I mentioned earlier that I got my car pretty cheap...well now I really robbed it after hearing these prices but I found mine by accident as mentioned earlier or in some other thread. I stopped looking because I had just had enough of looking at inexpensive cars that were junk or 'decent' cars that were overpriced (63's and 55's). Bottom line is that these cars are the best IMO and as long as 'you're' happy with it then it's great. I'm really glad that I didn't get an E63 honestly and no offense to the E63 guys as they are beautiful cars! I just like the torque and easy modding potential of the E55...oh...and the cost is much easier on my pocket! lol

Enjoy your cars and try not to break them!
Old 03-28-2013, 02:34 PM

2008 SL600
The "Presidential" option can no longer be referred to as such. It should henceforth be known as the "Dictator" option.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:53 AM

W211 E55 AMG
If anyone local is interested in trading interior trim plus cash let me know asap, it must be done soon before insurance takes the car.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
2007 SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by CcAMG
If anyone local is interested in trading interior trim plus cash let me know asap, it must be done soon before insurance takes the car.
I think you should remove the trim from the car even if you don't find someone to trade