Sponsored by:

just ordered new 04 E55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2003, 01:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 E55
just ordered new 04 E55

Just put down a deposit last night for a 04 brilliant silver E55 with all options.

I am still going back and forth on whether to keep the panorama roof and solar panel.

Anyone care to give me a feedback on the roof??
Old 08-27-2003, 04:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS350
did the dealer give you an approx date of arrival?
Old 08-27-2003, 05:57 AM

04 E55
Originally posted by Tezta
did the dealer give you an approx date of arrival?
late october or early november.
Old 08-27-2003, 08:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Porcelain Bus
Re: just ordered new 04 E55

Originally posted by krispykrme
Just put down a deposit last night for a 04 brilliant silver E55 with all options.

I am still going back and forth on whether to keep the panorama roof and solar panel.

Anyone care to give me a feedback on the roof??
Here's my take on the pano/solar options. The E55 has a moonroof which usually costs over $1000 which is built into the MSRP. If you order the pano/solar roof you pay $2500. There is no credit given for the deleted moonroof. Even without the solar panels, that's an additional $1500 to add a fixed glass panel for the rear seats which are usually unoccupied. On an E320 or 500, the moonroof isn't standard so upgrading to the pano roof is a better option. Obviously if money wasn't a consideration, then go with the pano.

I guess I'm just a cheap minimalist who thinks the only real "gotta have it" option is the kompressor.

Other options I'd omit:

tire monitoreing-problematic
distronic-rarely usable
DDS/AVS-unnecessary since standard seats are excellent
window shades-I prefer additional window tinting instead
parktronic-expensive option that detracts from the appearance
keyless go- a cool option but several owners of W211's have had very annoying problems that are easily avoidable by not ordering KG

All other options are viable but obviously personal preference.

Just my opinion.

Last edited by Dr Chill; 08-27-2003 at 08:19 AM.
Old 08-27-2003, 10:13 AM

I love the pano roof option and did not opt for the solar panel. My car is black so it blends into the roof. It is #1 for the wow factor when people get into the car. most don't know that it is there and have never seen a clear roof int he back.

I don't know if I like the look an a silver car. It is far more distinct.

Also to Dr chill's comments. I agree with all except the keyless go. Mine has worked great and I have yet to use my key for 5 months now. Probable the best option.

By far the best feature of the car is the Kompressor followed by the brakes....
Old 08-27-2003, 10:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Honda Accord EX V6
First of all, Congrats on the order...

Its all depend for pano and solar panel... if you have extra money, go with the pano. Pano is one of the luxury item and worth it items to buy.. If you really have more extra money then buy the solar panel. Fremont area is not really that hot. We can turn our AC when we enter the car and in no time the heat will be gone LOL....
Old 08-27-2003, 10:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Honda Accord EX V6
O yea... i have the pano options and i really like it so much but i didn't buy the solar panel... like i said b4 i can just turn on the AC
Old 08-27-2003, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Its ironic that people who can afford an $80+ car is harping about a $1500 option on it. In the grand scheme of things, the prices of the options don't really matter. Yes if it was on an E320 then it might, but not on the E55.

My advice, go with what you want and buy a regret free auto.
Old 08-27-2003, 01:25 PM

My car came with literally every option except distronic and tire monitor (was a dealer spec'd car), and I actually like all of them, some more than others.

I really like the pano roof, as do my kids, who sit in the back. In addition to the extra light when closed (and there's a motorized shade for when you want less sunlight), this is by far the quietest sunroof I've had when opened. There's no wind noise, or wap-wap-wap noises, like I've had on other cars. I love it, and definately recommend it.

The solar panels work great--when the car is parked and the interior temp gets over 86 degrees, the car is ventilated, so you don't come back to a baking hot car. On hot days, you could close the roof shades, and hold the unlock button on the key (which opens all windows and sunroof, and turns on active ventilated seats if you have them) when you return to the car--I do this as well. If you're getting the pano roof, I'd say go for the solar panels.
Old 08-27-2003, 05:14 PM

04 E55
thank you for all the reply.

money is not a factor.

But i was turned off by the distinct contrast between the roof and the rest of the car.

I am the only one in my house hold think that the panorama roof is not needed. My wife and kid loves it.

I will probably go with the pano roof, since technically this will be my car for only one year. So wife should have more say.

But thank you all the the reply.
Old 08-28-2003, 01:25 PM
eyc

krispykrme,

who is your salesman at Beshoff?

last month when I asked about ordering a car there, they said the price will be the "market" price when the car arrives..
Old 08-30-2003, 01:42 AM
Mug
Almost a Member!

Hey KK,

Congrats on the order!! Glad to see you made it over here

I would go for the pano roof and solar panels. The two tone effect doesn't bother me.
Old 08-30-2003, 02:33 AM

Originally posted by norb
Its ironic that people who can afford an $80+ car is harping about a $1500 option on it. In the grand scheme of things, the prices of the options don't really matter. Yes if it was on an E320 then it might, but not on the E55.

that's one way to look at it...

You might also have the opnion that if you buy a +$80K, those options would be standard !!!
OK, the solar panel is a different thing....

@krispykrme:
I once saw silver E and it had the whole pano roof, it wasn't really a good view... disturbed the whole view imo... have you seen it in real life? But I guess it's very nice to have whjen you're in the back of the car... (and those wives just can't be ignored huh... )

Why is it your car for just 1 year? Because you're waiting for the new M5? (guess you'll lose a lot of money if you sell it again after just one year... but if you can afford it..)

anyways, goood luck with you choice and enjoy it!
Old 08-30-2003, 03:58 AM
arm

krispykrme,

Are you buying from Claridge's? Curious on your experience.

ARM
Old 08-30-2003, 08:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Porcelain Bus
Originally posted by norb

You're right, what can $1500 do for you nowadays anyway. It's really not too much to pay for a fixed glass pane above the vacant rear seat. If only I can turn back the hands of time to mid-June and redo that option sheet to include pano and all the other options that would add so much to the enjoyment of my automobile. Boy do I regret that fateful day.
Old 08-30-2003, 11:13 AM

211E55, CLK55(sold), LX470, LS430
Originally posted by arm
krispykrme,

Are you buying from Claridge's? Curious on your experience.

ARM
arm-

now that you have mentioned Claridge's, what's your experience?
Old 08-30-2003, 11:59 AM

2003 Pewter Silver E500, 18" Style IV w/Pilot Sport
ARM, krispykrme said in another thread that he bought from Beshoff ($500 over MSRP).

I bought an E500 (and a CLK500) from Claridges.....Bill Keyser, internet manager is a pretty good guy........but while the sales experience was slightly above average, the service department there is completely incompetent IMO. I've been there for service twice in the last 3 months and I had to take the car back each time because the problem wasn't fixed at all. One time (with the CLK) they called me after 2 days and said the car was ready, and when I got there half of the work had not been done. They said "sorry, we thought it was ready.....can you bring it back next week?".

Then I took my E500 in and when I picked up the car the problem had not been fixed.....I noticed right away that nothing had been done.......and since it was Friday at 6pm they said "Wow, bummer.....can bring it back next week?"........The problem still hasn't been fixed.

Goodbye Claridges, Hello Beshoff..........

Just a heads up for Bay Area people, take your car elsewhere (Beshoff?) for service. JMO.........
Old 08-31-2003, 08:09 PM
eyc

I totally agree with SilverEEE. Claridge's service department stinks.

If you're looking for good service, go to Smythe's. I think they are the best. They get the job done and give you a mercedes loaner too.
Old 09-01-2003, 08:32 AM

04 E55
update.

Will at last minute the price was jacked up to $1k over MSRP. I e-mailed all dealer in N.Cal. No one was able to get a car within 3 month (other than Beshoff).

So i had no choice. Panorama roof and solar panel were dropped because i can't get over the black roof on a silver car. It looks hideous. (They had a silver E500 with panorama roof).

My sales man is Richard Qian. I have his card somewhere.

So the final price was $1k over MSRP. But delivery date is 11/28 or earlier. I have order form submitted on friday.

Every dealer in the bay area quoted me MSRP. But no one can deliver car within 6 month, and none of them can give me an order form with a confirmed spot on the production line.

So in the end, i was not happy with the last minute price increase. But Beshoff was the only dealer that gave me a firm confirmation.
Old 09-01-2003, 08:38 AM

04 E55
Originally posted by Mug
Hey KK,

Congrats on the order!! Glad to see you made it over here

I would go for the pano roof and solar panels. The two tone effect doesn't bother me.
hey mug

well after seeing a car like in person. I got digust over it. So no panorama roof and solar panel.

One thing i am not happy with mercedes is color choices. BMW although does not offer individual, at least, i can choose any production color as long as it's sold by BMW.

I really liked diamond silver which is still offered by mercedes. But MBUSA refuse to accept my order on the diamond silver. Totally inflexible. If i am going to pay close to $100k for a car. At least, i should be given a choice to pick a color.
Old 09-01-2003, 09:02 AM

tjeesh,

they will never learn I think...

For an AMG, you should be pick a chice whatever you want...

But then again, for BMW there's Individual and for MB designo, but that's VERY expensive I heard..
Old 09-01-2003, 09:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Chill, you still don't get my advice. Its fine that you don't want nor ordered, the pano. But if some guys wants it, then $1500 shouldn't keep him from ordering it. I never said that you HAVE to order it. That's why its an OPTION. Kinda touchy there aren't you? Maybe you do regret not ordering it.
Old 09-01-2003, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Porcelain Bus
Re: Re: just ordered new 04 E55

Originally posted by Dr Chill
Here's my take on the pano/solar options. The E55 has a moonroof which usually costs over $1000 which is built into the MSRP. If you order the pano/solar roof you pay $2500. There is no credit given for the deleted moonroof. Even without the solar panels, that's an additional $1500 to add a fixed glass panel for the rear seats which are usually unoccupied. On an E320 or 500, the moonroof isn't standard so upgrading to the pano roof is a better option. Obviously if money wasn't a consideration, then go with the pano.

I guess I'm just a cheap minimalist who thinks the only real "gotta have it" option is the kompressor.

Other options I'd omit:

tire monitoring-problematic
distronic-rarely usable
DDS/AVS-unnecessary since standard seats are excellent
window shades-I prefer additional window tinting instead
parktronic-expensive option that detracts from the appearance
keyless go- a cool option but several owners of W211's have had very annoying problems that are easily avoidable by not ordering KG

All other options are viable but obviously personal preference.

Just my opinion.
Not touchy, but realistic, Norb. It was somwhat of a push for me to afford this car. I prefer minimal options and I don't regret anything I omitted. Please read what I said in my original post in italics above. I just object to the principle of paying for a sunroof twice if I were to get the pano.