Chargecooler Kits anyone?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 E55
Chargecooler Kits anyone?

http://www.chargecooler.co.uk/index....index&cPath=72

wondering if anyone has tryed adding a pair of these, between the intercooler under the S/C and surge tanks? site claims around 40deg. drop.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
05 White Pano E55, Cadillac CTS-V
And how do you plan on fitting that in there and having it inline?

That round barrel thing has the air pass through the center of it while the water travels around inside the walls to cool the air. That would be put inline with an intake, there is no physical way to fit that in our car with our setup. The supercharger blows directly into the intercooler which then blows the air up the back side of the engine in to a Y that goes in to the surge tanks. Where do you plan on putting a big cylinder in there?
Old 05-08-2013, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
1000Hp Diesel Trucks, 2019 E63s
Those are simply intercoolers, your car already has one and there isn't space to add what's pictured. Hell there isn't really space to do much at all. You can either make spacers and raiser the SC up to install a larger intercooler or build a custom top mount setup and eliminate the intercooler under the SC. Damn it David, you tree'd me!
Old 05-08-2013, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
05 White Pano E55, Cadillac CTS-V
Don't build top mounts, it is a nightmare lol. I think the spacers for the runners with a bigger intercooler under the supercharger is a much better and way easier idea. Or even take out the stock intercooler, cut the side tanks off that the water enters/exits in and cut the little walls out of them so it becomes one single pass across the core instead of three passes snaking back and forth so the water/coolant is constantly as cool as possible crossing the core. Then while you are at it, tap out the holes for the hose fittings and put in bigger ones since they are really small, then you can use larger hose and actually benefit since the fittings won't just be a bottle neck.

Last edited by urbamworm; 05-08-2013 at 04:18 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:24 PM

04 E55
i know my car has an intercooler already, but location wise its not effective enough.
i also know how the intake system works.

obviously would take some modding at the rear section T of the intercooler.. possibly cutting 1/2 inch off each T port for more room. the surge tank inlets could be cut down even further to allow elbows. possible mount 2 coolers on either side of each airbox. if its even possible it would be really tight.. but thats why i asked if anyone has considered these.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Those just won't work in our setup. you'd have to build a custom top mount setup with square cores. Also, it's not the location of the factory intercooler that's the problem it's the capacity. That's why we both mentioned raising the SC and putting in a larger intercooler underneath.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:14 PM

04 E55
ok thanks guys for the input!

Trending Topics

Old 05-09-2013, 02:24 PM

04 E55
Originally Posted by PACougar
Those just won't work in our setup. you'd have to build a custom top mount setup with square cores. Also, it's not the location of the factory intercooler that's the problem it's the capacity. That's why we both mentioned raising the SC and putting in a larger intercooler underneath.
why do you say they'd need to be square cores?

also the stock cooler is sandwiched between the engine and s/c.. sounds like a location problem.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by thumper823
why do you say they'd need to be square cores?

also the stock cooler is sandwiched between the engine and s/c.. sounds like a location problem.
The only real problem with the factory location is the limitation of space if you wanted to install something bigger. For top mount you'd need a core that ran the length of the intake runner and I don't think round would work very well.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
1967 Pro Touring turbo LSX Camaro
The only thing round that would work for this would be some round laminova cores like the blown Caddies and Corvettes have. You could position a few of them on top of the inlets and build surge tanks to the sides like an abbreviated SLR setup. I still think Cougars bigger core underneath a spaced up blower is the answer to the stock blower IAT question.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:01 PM

04 E55
The only real problem with the factory location is the limitation of space if you wanted to install something bigger. For top mount you'd need a core that ran the length of the intake runner and I don't think round would work very well.
i say location since its right between two very hot source's.

let me run this by you. run 2 2.25 ID tubes from each port on the back of the intercooler assembly. one on each side that connects to a cylinder charge cooler(so it would take 2 coolers) than run a 180 degree elbow from the charge cooler to the front of custom surge tanks on each side...( without using the factory airbox system, would probably need a custom full tube intake like berti's)
Old 05-09-2013, 05:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i say location since its right between two very hot source's.

let me run this by you. run 2 2.25 ID tubes from each port on the back of the intercooler assembly. one on each side that connects to a cylinder charge cooler(so it would take 2 coolers) than run a 180 degree elbow from the charge cooler to the front of custom surge tanks on each side...( without using the factory airbox system, would probably need a custom full tube intake like berti's)
If I understand you correctly, you're planning on keeping the factory IC and adding the new ones inline. Number one problem is the factory IC creates a bottleneck in the system when you start adding more boost. Adding another cooler online would make the problem worse. Also, I think if you tried to put those next to the surge tanks you'd never have space to get intake piping to squeeze by.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:20 PM

04 E55
If I understand you correctly, you're planning on keeping the factory IC and adding the new ones inline. Number one problem is the factory IC creates a bottleneck in the system when you start adding more boost. Adding another cooler online would make the problem worse. Also, I think if you tried to put those next to the surge tanks you'd never have space to get intake piping to squeeze by.

any data to support the bottle neck of the factory cooler? im not saying i dont believe you, im just curious as to how much psi is lost just from the factory cooler. the charge coolers lose around 1 psi, but if the air is a lot colder might be worth it.....?
Old 05-09-2013, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Just add a meth kit and be done if you don't want to screw with changing the factory intercooler core. Throwing aother overly complex and compromised bandaid on top of the compromised factory bandaid is thinking down the wrong path.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

any data to support the bottle neck of the factory cooler? im not saying i dont believe you, im just curious as to how much psi is lost just from the factory cooler. the charge coolers lose around 1 psi, but if the air is a lot colder might be worth it.....?
I don't have the measurements from pre compared to post. However I have sent factory IC's out to some of the companies that build the cores and they all agreed that for this application at the increased boost levels the stock core becomes very restrictive. For comparison purposes take a look at a Whipple SC and the subsequent IC that sits under those SC's. The cores aren't very thick because the inlet area stretches the length of the SC. Compared to ours where the inlet area is tiny so the core has to be very thick to achieve adequate cooling capacity. The thicker a IC core the more restriction you'll have. On top of that our factory IC's aren't designed very well when it comes to the water path inside the core. In the end as Sir-Boost-a-Lot said adding something else to the end of our factory IC is like trying to add a band aid to the problem, rather than actually fixing it. In our case it's like putting a band aid on the end of a severed limb
Old 05-09-2013, 08:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
E55, SL63, ML550
Would the Weistec IC fit with the stock sc?
Old 05-09-2013, 09:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No, it flows top to bottom instead of front to back
Old 05-10-2013, 09:23 AM

04 E55
I don't have the measurements from pre compared to post. However I have sent factory IC's out to some of the companies that build the cores and they all agreed that for this application at the increased boost levels the stock core becomes very restrictive. For comparison purposes take a look at a Whipple SC and the subsequent IC that sits under those SC's. The cores aren't very thick because the inlet area stretches the length of the SC. Compared to ours where the inlet area is tiny so the core has to be very thick to achieve adequate cooling capacity. The thicker a IC core the more restriction you'll have. On top of that our factory IC's aren't designed very well when it comes to the water path inside the core. In the end as Sir-Boost-a-Lot said adding something else to the end of our factory IC is like trying to add a band aid to the problem, rather than actually fixing it. In our case it's like putting a band aid on the end of a severed limb

ok, this makes sense. appreciate the info!
Old 05-10-2013, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
06 e55,81SC Targa,08 CLK63 BLK,91 E34 M5
Those are simply intercoolers, your car already has one and there isn't space to add what's pictured. Hell there isn't really space to do much at all. You can either make spacers and raiser the SC up to install a larger intercooler or build a custom top mount setup and eliminate the intercooler under the SC. Damn it David, you tree'd me!