Wheel bearing problem?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 08:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts
W212 - E63 AMG
Wheel bearing problem?

A few weeks ago I was on the power big time on some country roads in the middle of nowhere and of course, this being the UK, I hit the mother of all pot holes at a decent speed (~50mph and a ~4" deep pit lol). Ever since that night, my car has been feeling crumby. Handling is appalling now and I don't have any sense of true grip or understanding of what the car wants, I've fitted brand new rear tyres and had tracking done, but still the car feels like crap. I can't drive fast anymore. I had to shut down at ~120 against the M5 last week because it felt really light and unstable....I then had trouble with ~100 on Monday...Tuesday it was feeling unstable and crappy at around 80 and today 50....whatever it is, it's coming to a head pretty damn soon. Almost sounds like the trademark helicopter sound of a wheel bearing but it's hard to tell from the exhaust I've got.

What do we think, wheel bearing, right? My friend stuck his head out the window and said he thinks my rear left wheel was wobbling about a little while I was moving...
Old 05-09-2013, 08:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
E55, SL63, ML550
Maybe put it in the air and wiggle all the wheels just for starters
Old 05-09-2013, 08:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 - E63 AMG
FML that's the first thing I should have done before posting!

Thanks buddy. I'll try that tomorrow after work.

They should go in and out slightly if there's a bearing issue, right?
Old 05-09-2013, 10:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
03 E55 AMG, 06 Harley Road King Custom 06 Ram 2500 Cummins, 97 Firebird Race Car, 88 Cutlass Supreme
Watch a couple videos and you'll know exactly what you're looking for.

Start here.

If it's not too bad yet you may have to do something like this. Grab something solid behind the wheel in question and feel for a rumbly/rough feeling. This works on any car, not just front wheel drive.

Last edited by BBBSS; 05-09-2013 at 10:06 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Mercedes-Benz E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Celicasaur
FML that's the first thing I should have done before posting!

Thanks buddy. I'll try that tomorrow after work.

They should go in and out slightly if there's a bearing issue, right?
Any updates? Seems like im having same problem now...
Old 05-15-2013, 04:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 - E63 AMG
Yes - apologies, I was meant to update on Saturday.

So Friday evening after work, I had a look...shook all four wheels...couldn't see any problems. I washed my car and then did the usual thing where you stand and admire it from all angles...then I stood from behind...and noticed my read left tyre was sitting at a 1 or 2 degree angle on the rim almost like the tyre had camber on the wheel).

On close inspection, on the inside of the wheel, the tyre...ahh man, I was so pissed. The soft smooth stretchy bit of the tyre that's meant to tuck into the wheel lip was bulging out across a 10inch diameter of the rim!! Other part of the inside tyre wall look smooshed and 'stuffed' into the rim. I was really angry with the tyre shop as that was a brand new tyre and it has been wobbling/getting worse from day 1. Yes it's my fault for not following up. I just thought it was a wheel spacer/imbalance issue.

I just wish I took a photo...because the next morning, on my way to the tyre shop (you can't make this up!) it popped on the road!! I 'can' take a pic of that tonight. I've got a nice rip on the inside wall but 8mm tread...grrrr....yes I went to the tyre shop to screw, but naturally they denied any responsibility and said it's a faulty tyre and that it's not possible for them to have made an error because any bulge would have meant an imbalance of the tyre on their machine and they'd have spotted it.

Anyway, what's done is done. I've got another new tyre waiting to go on this Thursday or Friday I"m just glad that they tyre didn't give way when I was racing that M5 last Saturday.... :|