E55 or ML55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2003, 08:07 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S500 Coupe
E55 or ML55

I'm still perplexed on what I should get. I drove the E55 and absolutely love the speed and handling...so I thought I made the decision from the W140 coupe to the W210AMG. Well, I went camping in Malibu over the weekend; I definately need a sport ute. What to do? ML55 or E55?

Are the E55s plagued with defects and quality issues as the ML? Your opinions will be most appreciated!
Old 08-27-2003, 08:12 PM

Comparing the two is like comparing apples and oranges. If you need a SUV and can only have one car then the ML55 is a great choice. It's combination of speed, handling, comfort, and decent off road capabilities make it a very good all around vehicle. The ML deifinetly is a better off roader than an X5 4.6 which is it's biggest oponent, but does give up a little bit of performance and handling.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-27-2003, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
i have my ML55 since 02 feb love it! But i wish it had stiffer suspension for corners ( like 4.6) and handling like 4.6, but on the other hand my friend had 4.6 and it's too stiff for daily driving....depending ont he roads ofcourse....if u have nice roads go with 4.6 same power 0-200 nose to nose we had a run... both nice trucks....

E55? r ut alking about a new or old one? drove them both and i will buy 04 e55 it's just a rocket!!!
Old 08-27-2003, 09:21 PM
Almost a Member!

S500 Coupe
Hi Bob,

I haven't had a chance to drive the W211AMG yet, truthfully, I'm scared. I'm scared that I will fall madly in love and have to get it (I mean wait for it). I drove the 2002 W210AMG. 0-200!!! I hope in km. I will be on both good and bad roads. For instance, I live in Orange County California (yuppy town), but work in Los Angeles (no explanation needed). So I drive better during the weekends then I do at work....I envy you for having the cars you do....
Old 08-27-2003, 09:33 PM

2002 C-32 AMG Renntech
Assess your needs :p

The ML55 with a Kleeman or Renntech supercharger is pretty nuce, actually I think there is on for sale on the Renntech website.

I think the ML55 is an awesome ride and you can get them dirt cheap...
Old 08-27-2003, 10:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
If you need it then the ML55 is it, but if you don't need the extra room, the E55 is hard to pass up.
Old 08-27-2003, 10:57 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
ML55 with the Kleemann mods made the fastest suv in the world. Yes, it beat the Cayenne Turbo.

Trending Topics

Old 08-28-2003, 03:34 AM

E55 AMG
Re: E55 or ML55

Originally posted by Davetruong
I'm still perplexed on what I should get. I drove the E55 and absolutely love the speed and handling...so I thought I made the decision from the W140 coupe to the W210AMG. Well, I went camping in Malibu over the weekend; I definately need a sport ute. What to do? ML55 or E55?

Are the E55s plagued with defects and quality issues as the ML? Your opinions will be most appreciated!
Get the W210 E55! No question.

When I bought my E55 new in the fall of '01, my MB mechanic said that the E-class was the most reliable car in MB's current line up, while the ML was the worst! (Sorry ML lovers).

There was a time when I thought I wanted a performance SUV too. I looked long and hard at both the ML55 and the BMW X5 4.6is. My conclusion, neither was for me. While they both had power, the high center of gravity in SUVs are just not suited for performance driving. They're like charging rhinos. They can go pretty fast, until they hit a corner. The ML55 seemed cheap, the build quality, paint finish, and interior materials are not worth it's $65K price tag (IMHO). I'd rather have a G500.
Old 08-28-2003, 10:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 M5, 2004 X3 3.0i
Anyone know what the next engine will be in the ML55?? I woulndt mind it with 400+ horses....
Old 08-28-2003, 11:19 AM
Vic

Have you considered a Porsche Cayenne S?

By my "seat of the pants" test, the Cayenne S seemed faster and handled better than the ML55, but the ride was not as punishing as the X5 4.6.

Good Luck!
Old 08-28-2003, 01:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 M5, 2004 X3 3.0i
Maybe it feels faster, but I doubt it is... That and the ridiculous amount of money they are asking for the turbo makes me wonder how porsche thinks they are gonna continue moving these off the lot. Now a turbo for the same price as an e55..that I would do, but not for 10-15k more!
Old 08-28-2003, 04:48 PM
Vic

As I said, I'm giving an assessment based on "feel" after having driven all three vehicles.

In terms of speed, I'm pretty sure the X5 4.6is and the ML55 are probably a bit faster as they both weigh less than the Cayenne S. From the seat of the pants, however, they all seem to run in the same league when it comes to acceleration. I believe that their horsepower ratings are similar also.

In terms of handling, however, the Cayenne has them beat, lock, stock, and barrel. Go drive a Cayenne and compare its handling to other SUVs. It really is in a class by itself. After test drivng all three vehicles, I fel that the Cayenne would handle hard driving better than the others.

Another point to consider is overall reliability. The MLs and X5s have had tremendous quality control issues ofver the years. While the Cayenne has no track record to speak of at this point, Porsche has traditionally ranked very high in quality surveys. Indeed, with the other 2 Porsches vehicle I have owned, I have been fortunate enough to have had no unscheduled repairs in several years of ownership.

Finally, the price difference between the vehicles is not as large as an earlier poster indicated--especially when discounts are factored in. My Cayenne S, which includes Navigation, Park Distance Control, CD changer, Heated Seat and Steering Wheel, upgraded wheels, comfort package, and other options, sold for $62K.

Anyway, all brand partisanship aside, I think it would make sense to at least have a closer look at the vehicle.
Old 08-28-2003, 05:26 PM

Vic- I agree with you on the fact that the Cayenne S is a great car, and decently equipped it can be had for a very reasonable price. What I don't agree with you on is the fact that X5's have had a track record of bad reliability. The 01' model did have some problems (ok a lot) but since then they have been extremely reliable. I would also like to know how you liked the X5 4.6? How was the ride compared to the Cayenne S along with handling and power?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-15-2003, 11:41 PM

Mercedes-Benz
i'm kind of late responding to this thread, however, this is actually one topic i might be able to shed some light on. my wife has an ML55 and i have a 210 E55. i honestly have never been a big fan of SUVs. but, the ML55 is a lot of fun...for a truck. it handles pretty well for what it is...on par with her previous X5 which i thought was a pretty good handler. it feels solid in the rain (although it never rains in southern california ) . it can carry a bunch of crap...much more than the E of course. and, the power of the 55 shines even with it's massive frame; it is a fast truck. honestly though, the E is made much better than the ML. the differences in quality are obvious. heck, i think her previous X5 was a bit better equipped interior wise. i've had repair issues with both cars...actually with every benz i've owned. it is kind of a given with these cars. however, they were minor repair/recall items. for example, i just got my E back after a week it spent at the dealer waiting on a part for a stuck pass window. i love my E..so i'm kind of biased on which you should go for. however, i haven't once finished a drive in the ML55 without a smile. i don't think you could go wrong either way. good luck.