CLS55 Weistec

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 12:46 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by MindBend
I was disappointed too until I considered the facts:
  • the intercooler still sits right on top of a heater.
  • at a given boost pressure, the Weistec is compressing a LOT more air into the same space. Compressing=heat.
  • Those Krauts seemed happy with higher IAT's on the stock unit in favor of consistency (ie. using engine coolant) so just need to tune for it.
  • The stock IAT sensor sits in an out-of-way area on the Weistec and is reading a bit higher than actual temps and actual temp is subject to some conductive readings/ (confirmed by Weistec--apparently they did some testing with REAL temp sensors and each port to see actual).
My cruising temps are appx 110-115 and soar to a blistering 120-125 at WOT.
A shot of meth cures all!

I have been running a larger pulley to be conservative and the beast feels great. I'm gonna switch out to the smaller (Weistec "standard") one soon as see what I get. I have a multitude of new logging on the car: water temp in and out of IC, air temps before TB, wideband on each bank, EGT, and better/faster MAP sensor. With more visibility, I can make logical, scientific conclusions based on fact, not speculation.

I'm in the midst of a custom/redesigned larger H/E up front to see if I can lower temps and/or remove heat from the system during cruising. When not wailing on it much, I don't see why the water temps can't be very close to ambient.

Your preliminary IAT data intrigues me. My IAT issues were similar to but significantly more pronounced than yours appear to be, but I was running the smaller upper pulley with a 168mm crank pulley so my blower was working a lot harder than is yours. Although I had a trunk tank and EC heat exchanger installed, I was not running meth.

The real evil in my case would manifest at cruising speeds when my IATs would quickly climb to 30 deg or so above ambient - I'm talking Celsius here (don't know how that converts), and invariably not fall below that margin even after extended freeway cruising at 70kph - So when going WOT, the IATs would invariably start out at an uncomfortably high level. The increment in IATs while going WOT was not dissimilar to that which I experienced on the stock blower but because of the high starting point, the end result after a pull to 200kph was perilously high (as I found out)

The upshot of all of this - as a starting point, I'm going to need to find a way to get my cruising speed IATs down to a palatable level
Old 06-12-2013, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
1967 Pro Touring turbo LSX Camaro
30'C above ambient!?! That's insane!
Old 06-12-2013, 02:09 PM

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Sir-Boost-a-Lot
30'C above ambient!?! That's insane!
I thought so. It was as though the bypass valve was not opening when it ought to have been. On enquiry, Weistec confirmed that the tune accommodated for the opening of the bypass valve at idle etc. On their suggestion, I shipped the bypass valve to them when I returned the blower for testing so that they could check to see if there was a mechanical malfunction at play. They didn't relay their findings in this regard to me but I assume that if they'd detected any issue, this would've been communicated.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E55K AMG Wagon
I was disappointed too until I considered the facts:
  • the intercooler still sits right on top of a heater.
  • at a given boost pressure, the Weistec is compressing a LOT more air into the same space. Compressing=heat.
  • Those Krauts seemed happy with higher IAT's on the stock unit in favor of consistency (ie. using engine coolant) so just need to tune for it.
  • The stock IAT sensor sits in an out-of-way area on the Weistec and is reading a bit higher than actual temps and actual temp is subject to some conductive readings/ (confirmed by Weistec--apparently they did some testing with REAL temp sensors and each port to see actual).

My cruising temps are appx 110-115 and soar to a blistering 120-125 at WOT.
A shot of meth cures all!

I have been running a larger pulley to be conservative and the beast feels great. I'm gonna switch out to the smaller (Weistec "standard") one soon as see what I get. I have a multitude of new logging on the car: water temp in and out of IC, air temps before TB, wideband on each bank, EGT, and better/faster MAP sensor. With more visibility, I can make logical, scientific conclusions based on fact, not speculation.

I'm in the midst of a custom/redesigned larger H/E up front to see if I can lower temps and/or remove heat from the system during cruising. When not wailing on it much, I don't see why the water temps can't be very close to ambient.

What was the ambient temp for this and how long was the WOT.

10f change in charge temp just seems a little to good
Old 06-12-2013, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
A Merc
+1 ^^^
Old 06-12-2013, 04:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
1967 Pro Touring turbo LSX Camaro
Read it again. That WOT IAT is with meth spraying before the blower.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
E55, SL63, ML550
We need a vid vs a fully modded factory sc E55
Old 06-13-2013, 09:21 AM

'05 E55
I'm suspect of how reliable/accurate the IAT sensor is due to where it sits on the Weistec. (They confirmed high readings). However, if the ECM is using it for timing maps, it still matters since it will hack at your timing more and more as IAT's rise, creating no reward for more boost. (you're just making a heater).

AJM, if I'm understanding you correctly, your IAT's were appx 170+ at cruising, AND you still ran a small pulley (56mm?) on the blower, coupled with a 168 on the bottom AND decided to do a 200kph pass? If this is correct, you must have been charging 18+ psi and hitting IAT's in the 250's+easily. Is this correct? I'm surprised you didn't melt the whole thing.

Something is wrong with your cooling if you are cruising at 170F+: air in system? (hard to have with trunk tank) poor circulation/pump? HE that is inadequate? What's the temps of your water in the tank? FYI: I've moved my air filter forward as far as possible, touching the stock hole/inlet where the tubes connect. I've logged very little difference/benefit from this. More to come.

Last edited by MindBend; 06-13-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
you to Hate
Every time you say" more to come" , you come back with more cooling mods.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:03 PM

'05 E55
You say that like there's something wrong with it--R&D is the key to success and more cooling is always better, IMHO. My "more to come" statement primarily means that I'm data-logging and working on seeing where I currently stand. I've gone a LONG way from where I begun.

According to my calculations, to hit optimal meth/fuel ratios of 12.5% minimum, my current nozzle isn't large enough. So, yep--adding more cooling with a bigger meth nozzle. (or two, if required.)
Old 06-13-2013, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 125 Likes on 95 Posts
2006 E55
Originally Posted by RedBullJnky
Every time you say" more to come" , you come back with more cooling mods.
I don't understand why you're always getting on his case . What's bad about him continuing to work on cooling? In a way, he's being a guinea for many folks interested in getting the Weistec and figuring out the best way to cool down that setup substantially.

Sometimes it's better to just read and learn than post. My .02.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:07 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 F150 FX4 Ecoboost, 03 e46 M3 (sold), 05 E55 (build is on), 03 Escalade (going to sell)
Mindbend- Have you had the car on the dyno yet? What kind of numbers are you putting down so far?
Old 06-13-2013, 01:08 PM

2006 E55 AMG
I'm suspect of how reliable/accurate the IAT sensor is due to where it sits on the Weistec. (They confirmed high readings). However, if the ECM is using it for timing maps, it still matters since it will hack at your timing more and more as IAT's rise, creating no reward for more boost. (you're just making a heater).

AJM, if I'm understanding you correctly, your IAT's were appx 170+ at cruising, AND you still ran a small pulley (56mm?) on the blower, coupled with a 168 on the bottom AND decided to do a 200kph pass? If this is correct, you must have been charging 18+ psi and hitting IAT's in the 250's+easily. Is this correct? I'm surprised you didn't melt the whole thing.

Something is wrong with your cooling if you are cruising at 170F+: air in system? (hard to have with trunk tank) poor circulation/pump? HE that is inadequate? What's the temps of your water in the tank? FYI: I've moved my air filter forward as far as possible, touching the stock hole/inlet where the tubes connect. I've logged very little difference/benefit from this. More to come.
I did 3 logged runs on the freeway shortly before I popped the motor. Although the motor only seized up after about 10 minutes of driving after I'd left the freeway, I'm assuming that, unbeknown to me, the damage was done on the last logged freeway run. The logs are not immediately accessible but, speaking from memory, ambient was around 28deg C, cruising IATs were around 58deg C and my IATs topped out at around 84deg C at the end of 3rd. Yeah, I know - not my most intelligent spell ever doing WOT runs with those IATs . I was running a lot of Torco octane booster and thought (foolishly) that the ECU would pull timing if det was sensed.

I'm going to move the air filter forward, for what that's worth but don't expect this to resolve the problem. My IC pump was near new and the sensor was working just fine. The flow of water into the trunk tank was so strong that we began wondering whether the rate of circulation through the system was too aggressive to allow for sufficient time in the intercooler Anyway, I'll tread with much more trepidation next time around

I was running the pulley combo mentioned by you. Boost topped out at 17psi. Bear in mind that I'm 5500 feet above sea level.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:20 PM

'05 E55
RedBull=no harm. He's keeping it on the up-n-up. His goals are obviously different than mine.

6201, no dyno yet. I will as soon as I get everything the way I want it enough to put the "regular" pulley on it.

ajm, hind-sight is always 20/20. Log in small increments and creep up on it. You'll see problems arise on a short 2nd-3rd pull up to about 5200-5500 RPMs. With running the larger pulley on the bottom, you're automatically "out of range" for the Weistec tune. They specifically say in their instructions to be sure stock pulley is on.

When's the last time you changed your fuel-filter? Mine was not yet at the AMG recommended service interval, but changing it made a recordable difference in my AFR's! DO IT NOW, IF YOU HAVEN'T!!
Old 06-13-2013, 01:31 PM

2006 E55 AMG
RedBull=no harm. He's keeping it on the up-n-up. His goals are obviously different than mine.

6201, no dyno yet. I will as soon as I get everything the way I want it enough to put the "regular" pulley on it.

ajm, hind-sight is always 20/20. Log in small increments and creep up on it. You'll see problems arise on a short 2nd-3rd pull up to about 5200-5500 RPMs. With running the larger pulley on the bottom, you're automatically "out of range" for the Weistec tune. They specifically say in their instructions to be sure stock pulley is on.

When's the last time you changed your fuel-filter? Mine was not yet at the AMG recommended service interval, but changing it made a recordable difference in my AFR's! DO IT NOW, IF YOU HAVEN'T!!
The pulley configuration was carefully worked out by Weistec at the time of purchase. It yielded 17psi at altitude which is what the stock Weistec configuration yields at the coast so this should not have played a role (except possibly to bump up IATs a little). My car is a low-miler. Had a major service done just before it came off motorplan (at about 49,000kms). It now has about 53,000kms on the clock. I assume the fuel filter would have been replaced as part of the service but I'll look into this. Anyway, I'll certainly be looking to draw on your experiences when I'm up and running again.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:43 PM

'05 E55
I don't know much about tuning for high-altitudes, but I'd assume more boost=more heat, no matter. I'm puzzled at how your cruising temps got so high. What kinda HE you have? Where is it? What size lines you running to/from? How are they routed? How's the pump wired/activated?

I wanted to start conservative and work up, and am making little steps--one at a time. I'm largely happy with where I am now, but since I've left quite a bit still on the table, I have more work to do.

Even if your service-records show that the filter/assembly was replaced, check it out. It will be quite easy to see as the clear plastic tubes turn brown with age. After seeing what mine looked like at 50K miles, I'll do it at half the recommended interval, at least.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

you to Hate
Originally Posted by ArmoE55
I don't understand why you're always getting on his case . What's bad about him continuing to work on cooling? In a way, he's being a guinea for many folks interested in getting the Weistec and figuring out the best way to cool down that setup substantially.

Sometimes it's better to just read and learn than post. My .02.
I'm not on his case.

I'm just wondering why anyone, being the guinea, would only post what they felt you or a vendor wants to hear. Be honest and post up what's really happening be it good or bad. And not have to worry about "someone" getting upset.

And maybe you should take a closer look at my sig pic. I'm playing guinea pig also. I'm just waiting for it to be complete and I will post everything (good AND bad).

Think about it. Both Paul and I are waaaay outside the box. And not limited to it!
Old 06-13-2013, 01:59 PM

2006 E55 AMG
I don't know much about tuning for high-altitudes, but I'd assume more boost=more heat, no matter. I'm puzzled at how your cruising temps got so high. What kinda HE you have? Where is it? What size lines you running to/from? How are they routed? How's the pump wired/activated?

I wanted to start conservative and work up, and am making little steps--one at a time. I'm largely happy with where I am now, but since I've left quite a bit still on the table, I have more work to do.

Even if your service-records show that the filter/assembly was replaced, check it out. It will be quite easy to see as the clear plastic tubes turn brown with age. After seeing what mine looked like at 50K miles, I'll do it at half the recommended interval, at least.
I'm an ignoramus on matters technical but as I understand it, 17psi sits nicely within the efficiency range of the Weistec blower and is what their stock pulley configuration generates. However, because I'm spinning the blower faster (with the 168mm lower pulley) to achieve the desired 17psi at altitude, this will create more heat. All this said, the pulley configuration was endorsed by Weistec.

Ultimately (and when the motor popped), we had the plumbing set up and routed exactly as recommended so the problem lurks elsewhere I'm guessing. I also don't know whether tuning for high altitude requires specific adaptations but, if so, I must assume that this will have been factored in by Weistec. I'll certainly replace the fuel filter
Old 06-13-2013, 02:05 PM

2004 E55K AMG Wagon

What difference did you see on AFR's and was that at WOT or during closed loop cruising?
Old 06-13-2013, 02:07 PM

2004 E55K AMG Wagon
Originally Posted by Sir-Boost-a-Lot
Read it again. That WOT IAT is with meth spraying before the blower.
missed that
Old 06-13-2013, 02:26 PM

2006 E55 AMG
I'm not on his case.

I'm just wondering why anyone, being the guinea, would only post what they felt you or a vendor wants to hear. Be honest and post up what's really happening be it good or bad. And not have to worry about "someone" getting upset.

And maybe you should take a closer look at my sig pic. I'm playing guinea pig also. I'm just waiting for it to be complete and I will post everything (good AND bad).

Think about it. Both Paul and I are waaaay outside the box. And not limited to it!
RBJ, I'm checking out the action at Merion Golf Club (on TV of course) but don't see you
Old 06-13-2013, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

you to Hate
Originally Posted by ajm55
RBJ, I'm checking out the action at Merion Golf Club (on TV of course) but don't see you
Of course not. My 4 year old has autism and I'd rather spend Father's Day with my kids
Old 06-13-2013, 02:56 PM

2006 E55 AMG
Of course not. My 4 year old has autism and I'd rather spend Father's Day with my kids
Can't fault your thinking
Old 06-13-2013, 03:05 PM

'05 E55
RBJ has NOW gone too far--suggesting that I am patronizing Weistec. Quite to the contrary. All my posts have been accurate and factual since I don't care to blast anyone before I have all of the data. Emotion doesn't tune a car, facts do.

I'm as forthcoming as the data I have, and the time i have to post. The facts remain, as I have posted them: stock cooling is not adequate. According to my findings and logging, a trunk tank is adequate and seems similar to stock blower with trunk tank. (this doesn't mean you can do 2 mile WOT blasts and expect IAT's to be safe...I've seen stock-blowers reported at over 200F at WOT, but not where *I* want to be) I wanted to go further with cooling and am experimenting with meth and intend to use even more.

From what I can tell, most S/C'd cars suffer the same fate, and like ALL other cars I've messed with, the bigger you go, the more you amplify the issue(s). I did NOT know all of this would be required when I begun. But, now it's either put-up or shut-up. Since the car still runs (quite well, I might add) I guess it's worth the time/effort.

I'll make this public disclaimer: If you plan to just bolt it on and make a 1-mile WOT pass, forget it.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
05 White Pano E55, Cadillac CTS-V
That right there seems to be the problem. The Weistec seems to be having issues for everyone. It looks nice and quality but you can't just bolt on, load tune and go, which is what you SHOULD be doing after spending 9 grand. Seems like instead everyone us chasing problems with the intake temps it the throttle body or the air/fuel or this or that.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: CLS55 Weistec