Sponsored by:

Throwing some codes...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 AMG
Throwing some codes...

I was just hanging out in the Arby's drive thru trying to get some lunch and I got this flashing red "check gas cap" signal on the dash and my gas light started blinking. I turned the car off, checked the cap and then got back in and re started the car.

Red lights are gone and gas light is no longer flashing but now I have a "battery protection, conventional functions unavailable" flashing up. By the way my AC stopped blowing cold when this happened as well.

Drove home and pulled the codes, p0455 and p0456 were detected for evap and I cleared them. However, the battery protection malfunction is still there. What could it be?
Old 05-24-2013, 12:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 E55 AMG, 03 350z Track Built/Single Turbo
The evap codes could be anything from a leaky gas cap, a leak in any of the evap, fuel, or filler lines, to cracks in the fuel pump and sender units. I replaced all my sender/pump units and still had this, so took it to a dealer who found a leak in the evap line that runs into the center of the tank. Unfortunately I have a pinhole size leak SOMEWHERE in the tank that may cause codes to be thrown in the future.

My suggestion would be to pull your rear seat and check the tops of the fuel bucket sender units. Search for the "fuel system recall" threads here, there's plenty of info.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:33 PM

E55 AMG
Thanks. Yes I'm very familiar with the fuel leak issues and such and that's what I first thought of when this happened. But I'm not sure it's that.

I've cleared the evap codes and they haven't resurfaced. Just the battery protection malfunction remains.

Last edited by Solo Man; 05-24-2013 at 12:35 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:10 PM

E55 AMG
Looks like its the alternator.

Last edited by Solo Man; 05-24-2013 at 04:35 PM.