W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oCarbon.com - looking for a few members to help us develop carbon fiber interior trim

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 125 Likes on 95 Posts
2006 E55
In that case, I'm ready and I'm sure others are as well
Old 06-05-2013, 12:24 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLI
Originally Posted by ArmoE55
In that case, I'm ready and I'm sure others are as well
Shoot me an email and get a quote.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
1967 Pro Touring turbo LSX Camaro
I think what Cougar was saying is that he thinks you're mistaken if you think people are paying 3-4k to have CF wrapped on their E55 interior trim.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55
Cougar was saying people are paying $500-$600
Old 06-05-2013, 01:27 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

GLI
Originally Posted by Sir-Boost-a-Lot
I think what Cougar was saying is that he thinks you're mistaken if you think people are paying 3-4k to have CF wrapped on their E55 interior trim.
I'm sure there are a few.

The point is, real carbon fiber work is expensive and not for everyone. We like to think we have competitive pricing, but it still isn't cheap. There are plenty of inexpensive carbon fiber parts from Asia all over eBay, but chances are, you won't be happy with the quality. All carbon fiber is not equal. In the end, you get what you pay for.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Kind of. The CF fabric likely all comes from the same place, and broken down over the amount it takes to do each part is very cheap, as is the resin. As I'm sure you know what is expensive is the labor. Do you do all the work start to finish in house, here in the US?
Old 06-05-2013, 01:40 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

GLI
Kind of. The CF fabric likely all comes from the same place, and broken down over the amount it takes to do each part is very cheap, as is the resin. As I'm sure you know what is expensive is the labor. Do you do all the work start to finish in house, here in the US?
You're correct that the labor is expensive, and is the majority of the cost. We control the manufacturing process from start to finish in our own facility here in the US.

However, the cost of materials should not be marginalized. All fabric does not come from the same place. Cheap fabric from China has gaps in the weave and easily distorts. Resin should not be overlooked. Using a cheap resin results in shrinkage and yellowing. We use epoxy that is very expensive, as it has UV inhibitors in it to keep it from yellowing. We also use automotive clearcoat that is the best in the industry.

Not skimping on materials to keep the costs low for the masses ensures that our parts stay black and clear and look good in several years instead of looking like garbage in 6 months. We've all seen cheap, yellowing and cracked carbon fiber hoods on Hondas. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to guess if those hoods were made with cheap materials or not.

So could we sell our parts for cheaper? Absolutely. But that would mean cutting corners, using lower quality materials, and not offering a warranty. I'm not looking to be the Wal-Mart of carbon fiber. I'd much rather sell a super high quality part I'd be happy to put in my own car.

Last edited by oCarbon; 06-05-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The difference in the cost is almost all the labor though which is how the Chinese do it so cheap. They will work all week , 12 hour days for less than an American princess will get for ine eight hour shift and they have no regard for cigarette breaks, lunch breaks, and health insurance You can sing about the great materials all day, but breaking it down on a per piece basis it still is very cheap to wrap things in carbon fiber and shoot urethane clear on it using nice stuff.

And the cheap Honda hoods everyone got used to seeing turn yellow did that because they
1- werent really a carbon hood,t hey were a fiberglass hood made with isophalic polyester resin, and one thin cosmetic layer of 2x2 carbon weave dropped into the mold first to give it a carbon look.

2- never got clear coated so the UV from the sun just baked that poly resin into cookie crisp because it was never intended to not have a topcoat or gelcoat.

So you could definitely still sell a whole interiors worth of trim for 5-600 and make money... It would just mean you either a- make less money, or b- hire guys from the home depot parking lot to do it and eliminate the cost of Chinese logistics

For the record I'd do neither of which if I were you. I have enough CF to wrap a whole car in my garage still from when I used to make stuff when i was in college .. And I'll still pay you to do it for me because that **** sucks. My sister lives in my old house still and the garage has little pieces of carbon and Kevlar permanently epoxied to the floor like prehistoric bugs trapped in amber

Originally Posted by oCarbon
You're correct that the labor is expensive, and is the majority of the cost. We control the manufacturing process from start to finish in our own facility here in the US.

However, the cost of materials should not be marginalized. All fabric does not come from the same place. Cheap fabric from China has gaps in the weave and easily distorts. Resin should not be overlooked. Using a cheap resin results in shrinkage and yellowing. We use epoxy that is very expensive, as it has UV inhibitors in it to keep it from yellowing. We also use automotive clearcoat that is the best in the industry.

Not skimping on materials to keep the costs low for the masses ensures that our parts stay black and clear and look good in several years instead of looking like garbage in 6 months. We've all seen cheap, yellowing and cracked carbon fiber hoods on Hondas. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to guess if those hoods were made with cheap materials or not.

So could we sell our parts for cheaper? Absolutely. But that would mean cutting corners, using lower quality materials, and not offering a warranty. I'm not looking to be the Wal-Mart of carbon fiber. I'd much rather sell a super high quality part I'd be happy to put in my own car.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
1000Hp Diesel Trucks, 2019 E63s
The point I was poorly trying to make is that no one with a 20K-30K is spending 3K-4K on CF interior trim pieces. I think 800-900 is a good deal and seems totally reasonable. Like Sir-Boost-a Lot said this **** is a pane is the ***, I've had enough of my own experience with it to know not to do it myself
Old 06-05-2013, 05:53 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

GLI
You can sing about the great materials all day, but breaking it down on a per piece basis it still is very cheap to wrap things in carbon fiber and shoot urethane clear on it using nice stuff.
We'll have to agree to disagree here. I know what my materials cost, and the cost of quality materials is not negligible. The difference between a low end resin and a high end epoxy is hundreds of dollars for a 5 gallon bucket. The same can be said for a gallon of clearcoat. It adds up.

So you could definitely still sell a whole interiors worth of trim for 5-600 and make money... It would just mean you either a- make less money, or b- hire guys from the home depot parking lot to do it and eliminate the cost of Chinese logistics
I would not make money if I was selling these sets for $500-600 without cutting major corners.

For the record I'd do neither of which if I were you. I have enough CF to wrap a whole car in my garage still from when I used to make stuff when i was in college ..
When I first started out, I started in my garage as well. I was a bit delusional about the costs of producing quality parts at scale too. I thought I'd be rich because carbon and resin was cheap, and my time wasn't worth that much. Unfortunately, its just not that simple. I'm not selling these parts with huge markups. They are expensive because they are expensive to produce, not because I'm making a ton of money on them.

Originally Posted by PACougar
I think 800-900 is a good deal and seems totally reasonable.
We're right in that range. It won't be that cheap forever, it will go up a bit in the future.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CTSV/6sp Grocery Getter
These sets are under $1k without the need for a group buy.
Nice work, I look forward to buying a set at some point
Old 06-05-2013, 08:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
I wonder how a white carbon fiber would look inside a white E....

Edit - Ewww....no. Google images just made me throw up.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55
Yea ... I wouldn't do it on a white car, HeissRod.

Just wrap your car with it!

I'd be in for a set under a grand. oCarbon, I'll PM you when I'm ready. Thanks for the thread.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Me too. I'm gonna send a set to get done soon. The work looks great and it's well worth that $$

Originally Posted by FASN8N
Nice work, I look forward to buying a set at some point
Old 06-06-2013, 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07' SL65, 04' E55, 03' Evo8, 08' GSXR, DSM's...
Looks pretty good.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:14 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

GLI
Lots of interest, but no one has pulled the trigger yet. I might be willing to lower the price a little bit for those who want to be daring and get a custom fabric (silver, red, blue, or one of the custom black weaves).

Shoot me an email at matt@ocarbon.com if you'd like to set something up.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 W211 E55K, GL550
Work looks great and price is reasonable if its under 1k. Wish I wasn't engaged or I would have jumped all over this unless u guys want to give me a early wedding present lol.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Post up some pics of the different colors/patterns, especially the blue. Is it just the blue/black Kevlar combo or is it all blue?
Old 06-11-2013, 03:29 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

2012 F150 FX4 Ecoboost, 03 e46 M3 (sold), 05 E55 (build is on), 03 Escalade (going to sell)
Lots of interest, but no one has pulled the trigger yet. I might be willing to lower the price a little bit for those who want to be daring and get a custom fabric (silver, red, blue, or one of the custom black weaves).

Shoot me an email at matt@ocarbon.com if you'd like to set something up.
Just sent you another email Matt
Old 06-11-2013, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Ducati
Can you do Lime Green CF?
Old 06-11-2013, 06:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I doubt it but you could shoot green candy paint over top of the white or silver stuff....
Old 06-11-2013, 06:14 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

2012 F150 FX4 Ecoboost, 03 e46 M3 (sold), 05 E55 (build is on), 03 Escalade (going to sell)
Just confirmed my order with Matt. Will be shipping my pieces out this weekend. Will keep you guys posted with after pics.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:46 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

GLI
Post up some pics of the different colors/patterns, especially the blue. Is it just the blue/black Kevlar combo or is it all blue?
It is blue and black. There is a full blue fabric, but once its been covered in epoxy, it looks really bad. I do not recommend it (I don't have any pictures of it).

Many more pics here: http://ocarbon.com/blog/

Originally Posted by justinwrock
Can you do Lime Green CF?
We can, but the fabric is very expensive and would have to be special ordered. It would add $200 to the price.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:05 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

GLI
Still looking for more people to commit to this. Only have one for certain right now.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts
mgLipGD
That red and black looks sick.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: oCarbon.com - looking for a few members to help us develop carbon fiber interior trim