Need help boost drop

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts
Cls63 & C32
Need help boost drop

I have the 55 s/c on my car, the car was running strong with boost increasing along the rpm till 1.5 bars(22psi) max boost fourth gear redline, i have no bypass tb or valve.
after i rebuilt my engine: changing pistons/rings, 82mm tb (273), water/meth kit, cleaning taking off the aluminums inside the sc inlet(plenum) to make it clear without obstacle inside it, polishing a little the rotor inside the sc, the al one to clean it. turning off and out the secondary air injection and egr valves.
after those the car runs good without fault codes but the boost was dropping at wot, sometimes it goes to 1.3 bars then decrease to 1.1 at higher rpm, sometimes decrease to 0.9bars and sometimes it go to 1.5 bars.
it mades me mad, i test air leak, sc clutch, another tb, everything is right, any ideas? i am thinking now the SC!!
Old 06-26-2013, 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
A Merc
How are you bleeding boost
No bpv
Do u have a bov?
Old 06-26-2013, 07:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
1000Hp Diesel Trucks, 2019 E63s
I'm concerned with the polishing of the SC rotors. The rotors themselves shouldn't be messed with, what exactly did you polish? Hulk, I don't think he's bleeding boost with anything, it's harder on the SC but not necessary.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A Merc
I heard that as well but if you are pumping 14psi and then just let off the pedal that boost has to go somewhere
I'm assuming he has a tune for a bov of some sort

And yes you are right don't touch those rotors

Some have ported the sc but got very little gains
Old 06-26-2013, 07:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CTSV/6sp Grocery Getter
SC belt slip?
Old 06-26-2013, 08:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Hulk
I heard that as well but if you are pumping 14psi and then just let off the pedal that boost has to go somewhere
I'm assuming he has a tune for a bov of some sort

And yes you are right don't touch those rotors

Some have ported the sc but got very little gains
I agree, and that's why it's so hard on the SC.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
E55, SL63, ML550
He is getting 22 psi what's the pulley setup?

Trending Topics

Old 06-26-2013, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
shrimp boat
Did you remove the hump in the sc inlet? If so, that's your answer.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55, CTS-V Wagon, Duc 1098R
Originally Posted by Shifter
It's a C32 with a e55k sc. Shouldn't be too hard to get it to 20+psi with nearly half the displacement.

Robert, is the boost level consistent on the same day and weather conditions or does it vary? If it varies on the same day and weather I would also bet that there maybe some slip. Post up your logs and I'm sure a few eyes on them will maybe at least help you figure out what to look for.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
E55, SL63, ML550
Wow didn't know that could be done.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cls63 & C32
Originally Posted by Hulk
How are you bleeding boost
No bpv
Do u have a bov?
no bypass, all 32k came from factory without bypass valve, the c32 has 14.5 psi stock without bypass and the SC is not turning off when you take off you foot, it turn off only when below 1000 rpm.

Originally Posted by PACougar
I'm concerned with the polishing of the SC rotors. The rotors themselves shouldn't be messed with, what exactly did you polish? Hulk, I don't think he's bleeding boost with anything, it's harder on the SC but not necessary.
i think also the problem is here, i polished the aluminum rotor not the teflon one by the paper nb 2000/1200, i don't know how we call it but the same one that we do the painting with it.
there is no stress cause the main TB is before the SC not after like turbo's.

Originally Posted by FASN8N
SC belt slip?
no belt slip

Originally Posted by Shifter
55k SC with V6 3.7L, stock pulleys 22psi.

Originally Posted by Forrest Gump 9
Did you remove the hump in the sc inlet? If so, that's your answer.
yes i made it clear but why is that the problem, can you please explain more, does anyone did it?

Originally Posted by adianaty
It's a C32 with a e55k sc. Shouldn't be too hard to get it to 20+psi with nearly half the displacement.

Robert, is the boost level consistent on the same day and weather conditions or does it vary? If it varies on the same day and weather I would also bet that there maybe some slip. Post up your logs and I'm sure a few eyes on them will maybe at least help you figure out what to look for.
i'll put a video later. yes it's like a slip but how do we know what's the cause.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cls63 & C32
in this run the boost went to 1.3 then fall down to 1.2/1.1
before it goes up till 1.5.
the middle gauge is the boost.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:49 AM

Don't know if you noticed this but your spark advance is retarding at the same time. I would log throttle position and your map sensor if you have it since it looks to me like your hitting a torque limit and the throttle is backing off and coming back on. As it backs off boost is dropping. I'm surprised you are using torque as your logging software given the amount of customization you have done. Also, what type of fuel are you running since that seems like alot of spark advance for that type of boost. One other thing I would check is making sure your boost gauge matches your map sensor reading.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cls63 & C32
Don't know if you noticed this but your spark advance is retarding at the same time. I would log throttle position and your map sensor if you have it since it looks to me like your hitting a torque limit and the throttle is backing off and coming back on. As it backs off boost is dropping. I'm surprised you are using torque as your logging software given the amount of customization you have done. Also, what type of fuel are you running since that seems like alot of spark advance for that type of boost. One other thing I would check is making sure your boost gauge matches your map sensor reading.
thanks for your reply, good points to review.
-I think the timing is advanced when boost is dropping leaking, like going part throttle, cause when the car was running good my timing was between 19-21 wot, plus i have a low static compression ratio 8.2
-I'll check tomorrow the throttle position and map sensor(you're mentioning voltage of map or reading boost from it?)
after that i'll swap the tb with the stock 74 and i'll check
- what do you recommend me for logging from obd?
i have 2 AFR gauge one for left bank and one for right bank, also i have a fuel pressure gauge and boost one.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:39 AM

2003 E55 estate
Hi
I'm not sure if torque app measures the actual boost value , I think it's like dash command and runs a calculation to get the boost pressure .
I'm no expert but it's some thing I would look into
Old 06-29-2013, 10:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E55
What kinda IAT's are you seeing that that boost? That blower spinning that amount must be a real furnace!
Old 06-29-2013, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MindBend
What kinda IAT's are you seeing that that boost? That blower spinning that amount must be a real furnace!
Don't forget, he doesn't have to spin it any faster to make all that boost is motor is a lot smaller. Smaller motor=more restriction=more boost with the same rotors speeds.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by PACougar
time for a weistec
Old 06-29-2013, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Robert AMG
thanks for your reply, good points to review.
-I think the timing is advanced when boost is dropping leaking, like going part throttle, cause when the car was running good my timing was between 19-21 wot, plus i have a low static compression ratio 8.2
-I'll check tomorrow the throttle position and map sensor(you're mentioning voltage of map or reading boost from it?)
after that i'll swap the tb with the stock 74 and i'll check
- what do you recommend me for logging from obd?
i have 2 AFR gauge one for left bank and one for right bank, also i have a fuel pressure gauge and boost one.
You need a way to see all of these parameters on the same graph so you can review afterwards. It's great that you have gauges, but right now your only option is to try and diagnose this real time since you don't have a log of map, timing, throttle position, mass air flow, IAT, and AFR. I use an innovate LM-2 but in hindsight I would have preferred a zeitronix. I believe eurocharged also has logging software now as well if your tune is from them. Any of these three will do the trick.

What I have seen at least on the e55 is that there are two sets of torque limiters. One for the engine ecu and one for the tcu. I'm wondering if the tcu is now taking control of the throttle and backing it off. I think your rotors might be fine since if they were bad, they would leak all the time and you would never see the higher boost levels you see at certain points in your run. It looks to be tune/control related to me or some odd type of slip. Did you recently change throttle bodies since it sounds like you are going to try the 74.

Good luck...
Old 06-29-2013, 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cls63 & C32
You need a way to see all of these parameters on the same graph so you can review afterwards. It's great that you have gauges, but right now your only option is to try and diagnose this real time since you don't have a log of map, timing, throttle position, mass air flow, IAT, and AFR. I use an innovate LM-2 but in hindsight I would have preferred a zeitronix. I believe eurocharged also has logging software now as well if your tune is from them. Any of these three will do the trick.

What I have seen at least on the e55 is that there are two sets of torque limiters. One for the engine ecu and one for the tcu. I'm wondering if the tcu is now taking control of the throttle and backing it off. I think your rotors might be fine since if they were bad, they would leak all the time and you would never see the higher boost levels you see at certain points in your run. It looks to be tune/control related to me or some odd type of slip. Did you recently change throttle bodies since it sounds like you are going to try the 74.

Good luck...
i did today some runs logging thottle body and boost, tb remains 100% all wot, and boost seams right as the boost gauge
i don't think it's tune related cause before the built it was running good and with the same tune.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cls63 & C32
Guys i changed the supercharged but with the same sc pulley as before, the slippage/boost drop is still didn't change, so the problem is not in the SC, i found that the sc pulley is bad and it is the one slipping on the clutch!!!!
my car has no bypass, please don't ask me how is this, all c32 does not have a bypass, the TB is BEFORE the SC not AFTER like turbo builts, so when you let off gas, the tb close and the sc build vacuum.
also the only time the clutch turn off is when the rpm goes below 1000 rpm, so when idle and rpm below 1000 the sc is not working, when rpm goes higher then 1000 the sc turn on.
So i don't trust pulley/clutch anymore specially with this high boost,
i made a clutchless sc pulley and installed it on the car today, the car runs wot very good no slippage, boost went up to 22psi,
but the problem now is that the sc is working at idle and below 1000 rpm and the car idle very bad, it cannot compensate for the extra air coming from the sc on.
i have no experience with bypass or blow off valves, so please i need help, if i installed a bypass/bov can i solve the problem, is there any electrical bypass that work with rpm(on below 1000 and off high then 1000) or anything else?
thanks.

edit: also a very bad sound is coming from the rotors inside the sc when it's on at idle, the sound go when rpm is upper then 900-1000.

Last edited by Robert AMG; 07-10-2013 at 05:48 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You could have the idle tuned to make up for the extra air. Without a bypass or clutch you don't have any other way of fixing it. Otherwise add a manual/vacuum bypass valve and it'll close as soon as you start to build boost.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A Merc
Good job Robert

I'm testing my magnet out this week hopefully