Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AMG mud flaps????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 03:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG mud flaps????

I think they would look nice, especially, if painted to match car color. Does anyone know where to get a set of AMG mud flaps for a W211 E55.
Old 09-04-2003, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 MB E55 AMG
MUD FLAPS !!!!!!!!! - Das is verboten! Heresy!

TJC
Old 09-04-2003, 04:51 PM

2003 Pewter Silver E500, 18" Style IV w/Pilot Sport
You can get mudflaps for the E500 at the dealership, and I believe they would fit on an E55. There is a picture of them in the "E Class accesories flyer" that is in the parts department at most dealerships.

I was thinking about it and asked at my local dealership parts counter, and the parts guy shook his head and said "Are you sure you want those?" Then he asked, "Have you seen them on the car? Well I have and I didn't like them at all".

They didn't have any in stock for me to look at, but based on his expert opinion I passed.

They are about $45 a pair and come in sets for the front and the rear.

I would suggest holding them up to the car before you buy them just to see if you like them.

Old 09-04-2003, 06:49 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Gotta stop the flying rubber eh?
Old 09-04-2003, 09:49 PM

What the hell?

No way man.The tint,rims,grill you have done is perfect leave the car alone for now.I hate the headlight rings but thats your choice.It seems like your not sure what you want to do,your all over the place.Your car looks sick as is,mud flaps would look horrible on it.Be happy,and save your money..........
Old 09-04-2003, 10:03 PM

I'll pile on with a big "nein" vote on the mud flaps.

Great if you're driving a Peterbilt or a Hummer.

Cheesy looking on a more elegant racer like the E55.
Old 09-04-2003, 11:09 PM

Re: What the hell?

Originally posted by E500Lorinser
No way man.The tint,rims,grill you have done is perfect leave the car alone for now.I hate the headlight rings but thats your choice.It seems like your not sure what you want to do,your all over the place.Your car looks sick as is,mud flaps would look horrible on it.Be happy,and save your money..........
I am all over the place, I haven't loved a car this much in my life.
Old 09-05-2003, 10:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cayenne GTS, Cayenne Turbo
I saw no on the mudflaps!! It's a CAR...a nice one as it is.

The premise for having mudflaps is that you'll be driving it in muddy or rainy conditions. For me, I won't be driving mine in the rain ... will you?

If you do need to drive it in the rain... the entire car will be wet nonetheless, so there's no sense having mudflaps installed to protect a part of the car.
Old 09-05-2003, 10:32 AM

Originally posted by Arnee
I saw no on the mudflaps!! It's a CAR...a nice one as it is.

The premise for having mudflaps is that you'll be driving it in muddy or rainy conditions. For me, I won't be driving mine in the rain ... will you?

If you do need to drive it in the rain... the entire car will be wet nonetheless, so there's no sense having mudflaps installed to protect a part of the car.
I will drive mine in the rain, and snow. This is my daily drive and I even plan on buying snow tires.
Old 09-07-2003, 02:55 PM

Mud flaps will look terrible!!
Old 09-07-2003, 03:09 PM

MUD FLAPS!!!!!!!

While you're at it , how about some flames on the side
Old 09-07-2003, 03:11 PM

I still think if painted to match the car color they may look nice.
Old 09-07-2003, 07:01 PM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
Originally posted by AmgBoy
Mud flaps will look terrible!!
Old 09-08-2003, 07:42 PM

Edited Post, nothing to see here move along
Old 09-08-2003, 10:05 PM

2007 M5, 2004 X3 3.0i
What is hte TRUE purpose of mudflaps...ok...so the mud will go on them instead of the rear bumper..or MOST of it. IT STILL GETS ON TEH CAR! You will still have to wash it..so guess what...do without them...this isnt some ghetto POS.
Old 09-08-2003, 11:05 PM

Well, ok, as long as the mud flaps have those chromed naked girl silhouettes that the 18-wheelers like so much. That would add a classy touch to the ol E55.

Once more... mud flaps are verboten!!
Old 09-09-2003, 02:52 AM

05 E500
Mud Guards

The term should be mud guards, not flaps. But MB incorrectly labels them as flaps on their MBUSA website and in their accessories catalogs.

A guard is fixed and molded to fit the sculpted body lines.

A flap is a rubber sheet that "flaps" in the wind and is used on big trucks, mostly to shield heavy mud, stones and retreads from flying around too much which could affect other vehicles on the road. (It’s a NHSA mandated installment.)

With regard to the guards on the E55, I agree that if painted they may actually look nice. We have them on our C-Class (unpainted for now) and they not only look great, but they are quite helpful toward keeping the rear panels cleaner and without the paint chips which result from stones being kicked up. (Some of our friends with new MB’s have stone chips and road grime markings on their real panels already, but not ours.)

For Rave E55, consider the benefits of the guards at least equally to all this counter commentary here. Make an informed decision.

Statements like: "The premise for having mudflaps is that you'll be driving it in muddy or rainy conditions. For me, I won't be driving mine in the rain ... will you?" is really missing something. Another implied the purpose is to keep mud off the "bumper," which is also highly erroneous. (Its the precious real panels you're looking to protect.)

Anyone can get caught out by the rain, and, if I had a nickel for everyone who ever told me that they would never drive their car in the rain who soon thereafter changed their mind (caving into pressure from others or giving up on the notion on their own), I would have a Howard Hughes estate by now.

Besides, the premise is NOT at all to merely avoid mud and rain. The premise is to help "guard" against harmful stones and road debris which can damage paint or allow road tar, road paint, or any occasional road kill (odors) up under your car and even onto the rear panels.

To relegate mud guards as being akin to “flames” etc. is very skewed.

And, I also like the headlight rings. We have them too and everyone loves them. We went with special blue tint, which some people upon hearing our intentions stated that this “would look terrible,” just as they are here. But now that we have it on the car, clearly the most visually appealing effect is the tinting and everyone loves it. We get loads of favorable comments every single day, even at car shows and MB events (like the C-Spot Drive party, etc.).

Thought you might value an alternative view.

Last edited by c2jones; 09-09-2003 at 02:59 AM.
Old 09-09-2003, 01:09 PM

I would sign off on the mud guards/flaps if they actually prevented damage to my car (rock chips and such).
But I can't recall ever seeing a rock chip/pit on the rear quarter panel of any car I've ever owned.
Old 09-09-2003, 02:16 PM

05 E500
Mud Guards

can't recall ever seeing a rock chip/pit on the rear quarter panel
You have been lucky.

Much depends on where you live (geographically) and whether you have gravel, sand, construction sites, recent road paint or new paving, etc. in your driving range.

Circumstances and surroundings can change at any time. Just like accidents, these things are all relative to chance.

But the important thing is, should there ever be a mishap (even road paint or tar), one can always replace the guards much cheaper (and easier) than repainting the rear panels.

This is the thought-process. Prevention; precaution.

Otherwise, you're rolling the dice. It is a matter of personal perspective. If home and auto insurance was not mandatory, there would be those who would chance it. I would not be amongst them.

Last edited by c2jones; 09-09-2003 at 02:28 PM.
Old 09-09-2003, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Tesla Model S
3M makes a clear film that you can apply to your rear quarter panels (similar to what's on porsche fenders) that will prevent rock chips.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Sorry for 'trespassing.

I own an S211 320CDI, however in the UK we do have the S211 E55AMG Estate. That has exactly the same bodywork as my vehicle. The mudflaps are standard Mercedes-Benz.

I have read all the negative comments about not having them so I thought I would attempt to add my two pennarth.

I would never buy such a nice vehicle without mudflaps. They protect the paintwork that is exposed to debris thrown up from the exposed tyres.

Older vehicles do not have the streamlined curves of a modern vehicle and all the chippings, tar, etc remains within the wheel-arch. On modern vehicles this is not the case.

I respect the views of all members that have described them as 'ugly' and why not have 'flames' as well? I would just say "each to their own"

Sorry about trespassing,
John
Sunny, but windy Torquay
Attached Thumbnails AMG mud flaps????-flaps.jpg  
Old 09-07-2004, 09:02 AM

SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
Mudflaps

The material made by 3M is called Xpel and can be obtained online from mucltiple venders. I have used it on my M3 headlights and it works well. I have not applied the bodywork protection myself but I would thinkit would not be difficult.