W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Advice On Options 04 E55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2003 | 10:52 AM

11 X5M / 05 Gallardo
Advice On Options 04 E55

Hello Im new to the fourm, I had a few questions on some options Im considering....

I am getting the Command/NAV no doubt about that.

I am considering the Panorama Sun Roof with the Solar Fans to keep the car cool, since I live in South Florida, I figured it would be nice.

I am also considering the Keyless go system

I am also considering the Drive Dynamic Seats

I am also considering the Seat Fans.

Althought the cost isnt the factor I want to know if these items are usefull or worth the money, for example the $3,000 cruise controll system I was told isnt very good, so therefore if its useless so why add it..... Also dose the Panaorama roof add weight to the car also?....Are the drive dynamic seats worth it or is it somthing you rarely notice or use.. Do the solar panels actually work as good as they describe?.....I need the pros and cons of the options mentioned above.....Any input will be greatly appricated....Thanks....Jay.S
Old 09-05-2003 | 11:28 AM

Re: Advice On Options 04 E55

Here's my take on your questions. My E55 has every option except distronic and tire monitor (was a dealer spec'd car). I like them all.

I am getting the Command/NAV no doubt about that.
I've had nav in another car and used about 3 times in 4 years, and certainly don't miss it. A cool toy at first, then never use it.

I am considering the Panorama Sun Roof with the Solar Fans to keep the car cool, since I live in South Florida, I figured it would be nice.
The pano roof is wonderful, and the solar panels work great. In addition to the extra light in the car, it's the best designed sunroof I've had, since there's no wind noise (wap-wap-wap) when opened.

I am also considering the Keyless go system
Like it alot, although on hot days, I use the key to open the doors/windows and turn on the ventilated seats before I get in the car. Also use the key when with my kids, since they usually get to the car before me!

Be aware that there's an annoying chime and (less annoying) warning message in the dash display, when opening the doors (from outside or inside the car) that warns you not to leave the key in the car. So far, no way to disable it (even though it's not in European cars), and I've spoken to 2 dealer service departments and MBUSA HQ about it.

I am also considering the Drive Dynamic Seats
I love these, and the seats in general. I have mine set on the more sensitive setting and the self inflating side bolsters work great.

I am also considering the Seat Fans.
The active ventilated seats are terrific, and there's not doubt I would get them if I lived in south Florida.

Last edited by Poursha; 09-05-2003 at 11:31 AM.
Old 09-05-2003 | 11:43 AM
ZHH

2001 BMW M3
If you have the money, get them all, you only live once.........or do you!?!?
Old 09-06-2003 | 11:15 AM

2003 E55 AMG
- I do not have the NAV (I wish I did)

- I absolutely love the drive dynamic seats (they remind you how special your car is EVERY TIME you make an agressive maneuver since they hugh you and hold you in place

- I like the ventilated seats also and the rapid cooling (open with the key all windows down and seat ventilated) although I do not use it that often. - Worth the extra $400 on the dymanic seats

- Keyless Go. While it may seem a little over the board (1K to not use the key, but still have it with you), I really like it. I also noticed that once you open the door after turning the car off, there is an annoying chime (as Pourscha mentioned). A quick touch on the up/down arrow on the steering wheel (left side) stops the chime - Otherwise it become annoying. Overall, I really like it and would get it again.
When I mentioned to my friend that I did not need the key to open the car and start the car, he thought it was cool. Once I told him it was a 1K option his comment was "what type of moron will spend 1K to get the car started by touching a button with the key inside the car to save the effort of putting it in the key hole?" - I guess i am that type of moron- even worse, I will do it again

A couple of othr things I would add if you live in a hot climate area:

1.- Power shade (back)
2.- Side rear shades (back)
Old 09-08-2003 | 09:52 AM

11 X5M / 05 Gallardo
Thanks for the Advice

I wanted to thankyou guys for the advice on the options, your input was very helpfull....A this point I am going to get the Command/NAV also I am going with the Drive Dynamic Seats, Keyless go, and also Seat Fans, I am going to the dealer today to see the Pano roof and if I like I;ll go with that also....Other then that im set on getting Black ext. with Charcoal int.....But a very good frined of mine who use to own a detail shop is strongly advising me not to get the black due to the mantainance, but the black looks awsome when its clean and waxed, it dose get dirty within a few min....but i just saw pictures of that Pewter and it looks really nice, but I figure I'll have to see it in person, when I goto the dealer today....In either case taks alot for the inout......Jay.S
Old 09-08-2003 | 12:46 PM

Black cars are beautiful, but unless you're interested in a second career polishing and waxing your car I'd avoid any dark colors. I learned my lesson the hard way when I had an ocean blue (very dark metalic blue) Carrera--it drove me nuts.

Check out pix of my pewter E55 at the link below.