Sponsored by:

Fuel Smell/leak issue - what do I do?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 11:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 silver
Fuel Smell/leak issue - what do I do?

ok, so i thought my fuel sender or fuel pump was bad...so I took it to a guy that is a MB certified tech and he was gonna do the work on the side for me. I met up with him, he drove it to his bay and and said both the sender and pump are new. So he is really confident they are NOT leaking...BUT, he says that it could be the tank leaking and he can't do it on the side cause he would need the full set of tools/equipment available to him and it wont be cheap since he works for a stealership. He did recommend a couple of Indys that are cheaper and one I have heard of before and are reputable. However my other issue is my fuel gauge doesn't go below a 1/4 tank and he said that could be because someone didn't install them correctly and a wire might be stopping it. I can live with the fuel gauge being off for a while but i guess my question is should I put off the fuel tank being replaced since summer is about over here in CO? Or, should I go ahead and do it right away?!? I could always use the cash I saved for some mods. Thoughts, advice???
Old 07-30-2013, 12:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Damn! fuel tanks are expensive plus all the labor to take it out and stuff. Someone suggested that empty the fuel tank and put JB weld on it and it'll fix it. Only will cost labor not a new tank (that's ofcourse if he will do it on the side, dealership won't do this) .

Through Star settings I've heard that you can enable an option which will show you how many litres/gallons are in the car, so if that could work you can simply use that to see how much fuel you have instead of using a gauge and that also will only work if your gauge is bad not the actual fuel sensor which in turn won't work after fixing the gauge either.

Also, is the smell from outside the car or inside ? sometimes it's the Evap purge control valve (forgot the exact name) causing the smell and updating the ECU (with new revised thresholds) would fix the issue. I had the latter problem and it got fixed after updating it at the dealership but it wiped my tune.

Hope it helps
Old 07-30-2013, 12:39 AM

2005 E55 silver
Originally Posted by viren.89
Also, is the smell from outside the car or inside ? sometimes it's the Evap purge control valve (forgot the exact name) causing the smell and updating the ECU (with new revised thresholds) would fix the issue. I had the latter problem and it got fixed after updating it at the dealership but it wiped my tune.

Hope it helps
Smell was inside the car, it only happened once when the car was out in the sun.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07' SL65, 04' E55, 03' Evo8, 08' GSXR, DSM's...
If you need a good MB indy shop to do the work, send me a PM and i'll give you my guy's number. It's down in the Springs though. Good luck.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:07 AM

2006 CL600
Originally Posted by viren.89
Damn! fuel tanks are expensive plus all the labor to take it out and stuff. Someone suggested that empty the fuel tank and put JB weld on it and it'll fix it. Only will cost labor not a new tank (that's ofcourse if he will do it on the side, dealership won't do this) .

Through Star settings I've heard that you can enable an option which will show you how many litres/gallons are in the car, so if that could work you can simply use that to see how much fuel you have instead of using a gauge and that also will only work if your gauge is bad not the actual fuel sensor which in turn won't work after fixing the gauge either.

Hope it helps
My car does it on the outside of the car with the smell, but if I fill it up, it is really strong. Is this the EVAP item you were mentioning viren?
Regards