W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

DIY Retrofit for Automatic Trunk Closer.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 10:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
05 E55 AMG, E320 CDI, Turbo E46 M3,IS300 2JZGTE,VQ35 Turbo Maxima, Mercedes 300D
From what I have seen, the motor (A2118202042) usually comes with the controller. But I got mine used so not sure. Mine all came together

Originally Posted by emo.nikolov85
hello. told me that will I Need and module а2118703026. It is it true?
Old 12-22-2014, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W213 E63s AMG
Thanks for the reply. For me everything is sold separately. So this module will I need?
Old 01-11-2019, 08:50 AM

Received 130 Likes on 105 Posts
20' RCF, 18' NX, 09' E350, 07' Solara, 05' STi, 01' Ranger
Older thread but this is so tempting to do for our 2009. I hardly use the trunk ever but it's cool to do retro fits. I already have STAR and did the power folding mirrors retrofit. That wasn't too bad. This retro fit looks easier.

If I bought all parts from dealer it is going to cost $1821. If I use a combination of eBay and dealer I can get the price down to around $850.

Are the parts above for the face lifted w211?

Thanks,
-Nigel
Old 01-24-2019, 07:00 PM

I have all parts minus the harness which is coming tomorrow. I hope to install everything over the weekend.

Next question. What happens with the trunk springs? Are they still used? Do I remove them? Does the motor now only open close the trunk or can it manually be done as well?

Haven't seen any information regard the above.

Thanks,
-Nigel
Old 01-24-2019, 10:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55 AMG, E320 CDI, Turbo E46 M3,IS300 2JZGTE,VQ35 Turbo Maxima, Mercedes 300D
I have tried to be very detailed in my DIY, so if it is not mentioned, it is not touched. The springs are still used and not modified in any way.
Not sure what you mean by, "Does the motor now only open close the trunk or can it manually be done as well?" Do you mean can the trunk now only be opened/closed using the motor. The answer to that is that the trunk can be closed by hand although you will feel a lot of resistance through the motor and it is not very good for the motor to do that.

One thing I perhaps did not mention is that there are two different motor controllers available. The older version closes the trunk very quickly and the newer one very slowly. I have both ... the newer one that closes more slowly seems to be more prone to getting caught up on any resistance and has more issues closing. The older/faster one is super fast at closing the trunk and could be considered a safety issue (which is perhaps one of the reasons that MB slowed it down), but I prefer it cos it makes absolutely sure the trunk closes.

I love this feature actually. I use it every day. I am considering making an additional modification to add a kick sensor that is on new cars to automatically open and close the trunk when your foot is close to the bumper. It would not be that hard to do really, just sensor, microcontroller to detect open state and wiring.

Good luck with your retrofit ... putting the motor in is probably the more challenging part of this. I was a little lazy and did not remove the rear speaker deck covering so access was awkward.

Originally Posted by NewShockerGuy
I have all parts minus the harness which is coming tomorrow. I hope to install everything over the weekend.

Next question. What happens with the trunk springs? Are they still used? Do I remove them? Does the motor now only open close the trunk or can it manually be done as well?

Haven't seen any information regard the above.

Thanks,
-Nigel
Old 01-26-2019, 11:22 AM

Arrow

Thanks for all the info. I got all the parts. It appears that the the harness though for my year is different. I can't find a spot to plug this into on the rear fuse box. The little brown connector goes into sam fine.

Yea I wasn't sure on the trunk motor if it was only powered at that point or if need be, you can manually shut/open if it stopped working.

I believe I also got the updated controller as well. I think this harness isn't right for my 09' though. I just don't know or have a part number for an 09' harness...arg.

Thanks,
-Nigel
Old 01-26-2019, 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hopefully you read my disclaimer on post #2 about the part numbers. Please PM me your VIN and what part number you have for the harness and I will look up the correct part number for you. If it is just a power connector, I can usually figure a work around if it is indeed the wrong part number. I would not imagine it would be any different though. Will get you taken care of

* Edit It has been about 5-6 years since I did this .. the details are hazy... did you follow step 4? I think ... but cannot be certain just now that the plug you circled should plug into the large fuse rail in the rear wheel well. Did you do that step?

Last edited by turbo97se; 01-26-2019 at 04:54 PM.
Old 01-26-2019, 10:41 PM

Arrow

Originally Posted by turbo97se
Hopefully you read my disclaimer on post #2 about the part numbers. Please PM me your VIN and what part number you have for the harness and I will look up the correct part number for you. If it is just a power connector, I can usually figure a work around if it is indeed the wrong part number. I would not imagine it would be any different though. Will get you taken care of

* Edit It has been about 5-6 years since I did this .. the details are hazy... did you follow step 4? I think ... but cannot be certain just now that the plug you circled should plug into the large fuse rail in the rear wheel well. Did you do that step?
Sending you a PM with everything I have and pictures as soon as I get done posting this.

So that fuse I have I was looking at where all the rest of the fuses are on the side, right beside the SAM, left( driver side) rear most part of the trunk. I can take a further picture. Attached actually is what I am looking at. I don't think there is anywhere else for this to go?

*Pic is what I grabbed of youtube. But that's what I am looking at, behind/above and don't see anywhere for this to physically plug into.

Appreciate the future help. Pm'ing you now.

-Nigel
Old 01-26-2019, 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No ... look at post 2 above. Beneath step 4 I have a picture of the trunk fuses. It is in the spare wheel well area just further toward of the spare wheel

Sending you a PM with everything I have and pictures as soon as I get done posting this.

So that fuse I have I was looking at where all the rest of the fuses are on the side, right beside the SAM, left( driver side) rear most part of the trunk. I can take a further picture. Attached actually is what I am looking at. I don't think there is anywhere else for this to go?

*Pic is what I grabbed of youtube. But that's what I am looking at, behind/above and don't see anywhere for this to physically plug into.

Appreciate the future help. Pm'ing you now.

-Nigel
Old 01-26-2019, 11:18 PM

OMG!!!! YES!!! I didn't even realize there were fuses there. I thought that picture was somewhere by the sam/fuses on the left side of the trunk!! It plugs right in! SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO happy!!

I just have to go and pick up the nuts and fuse tomorrow but freaking A!

Thank you!

I'll post an update here shortly after everything is buttoned up!

-Nigel
Old 01-27-2019, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cool .. yes perhaps the original photo I provided was not 100% clear. The picture does have a picture of the battery in it, but only a corner of the battery. I am not in the US now or I would've sent you a picture.
Hope you enjoy the trunk closer. Definitely one of my favorite retrofits. Only Parktronic is ahead of this one I think. I have run out of retrofit ideas and bored. Let me know if there are other ones out there.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:17 PM

Arrow

SUCCESS!!! Thank you for this how to and help! It's GREATLY appreciated. Just got everything going and normalized.

Works perfectly!! I uploaded two videos on youtube. This is freaking awesome!

Outside opening trunk then using trunk button to close.

Other video is using the interior door switch to then open/close the trunk. LOVE IT!!!!

-Nigel
Old 02-05-2019, 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Glad you got it all working! Hope you enjoy it for years to come!
Old 02-27-2019, 10:45 AM

Thank you! Appreciate all the help. Your how to is the only one like this!

One question. Should the buttom portion of the trunk do a soft close? Or is my video correct in how it closes down the trunk. I ask only because I was browsing the other w2** forums and it appears that the newer models do a soft close feature where the last inch or two does a nice quiet part.

Is that not applicable for ours? Seems like my trunk just closes with a steady/solid click.

Thanks,
-Nigel
Old 02-27-2019, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It should soft close. Yours does not appear to do that. Please re-read step 8 in my instructions and look at the pictures. Did you install the active striker? When the trunk is open it is in the up position. When the trunk closes it meets the striker, clicks on and then gets pulled down by the active striker.

Thank you! Appreciate all the help. Your how to is the only one like this!

One question. Should the buttom portion of the trunk do a soft close? Or is my video correct in how it closes down the trunk. I ask only because I was browsing the other w2** forums and it appears that the newer models do a soft close feature where the last inch or two does a nice quiet part.

Is that not applicable for ours? Seems like my trunk just closes with a steady/solid click.

Thanks,
-Nigel
Old 02-27-2019, 04:26 PM

Arrow

Yep all my parts are identical to yours. I have the active striker. I have thought I had it plugged in. I thought it was odd on adjustment only because when i put the new latch on, it had at least an inch or so up/down and left/fight movement. I will undo my latch to make sure that when i hit the close button to see if the actual latch does move up. It MIGHT be that I have the entire latch assembly up too high...

Will investigate more now. I will note that I get zero errors in STAR. So I would think that if there was a problem with the striker that it would throw some type of message in STAR... but I am not 100%.. Going to take a part a couple things and check out. Will update shortly.

My parts before installed. My striker looks exactly like what yours looked like.

-Nigel

Last edited by NewShockerGuy; 02-28-2019 at 08:45 AM.
Old 02-27-2019, 04:33 PM

Arrow

Welp. Found the problem,

You know the harness that plugs INTO the closing latch. That needs to be plugged INTO the latch, it appears that I completely forgot to connect it... Whoopsies!...lol

Now I just need to re-adjust the latch. I have the latch set so that it closes without it being plugged in. Which means I have to drop it down a little bit since it goes up as it's closing.

Crisis averted...hahahah
;-p

EDIT: Will ask one question. There is a YouTube video of a an e55 and in the convenience menu there is a feature to turn on so that it limits how hight hte trunk opens. I do not have such menu at all. Is there a way to add this via STAR... I looked everywhere in cluster settings in STAR and do not see this option anywhere.

-Nigel

Last edited by NewShockerGuy; 02-27-2019 at 06:03 PM.
Old 02-27-2019, 06:44 PM

Arrow

Figured it out after using google translate from my phone to look at every option. Please see attached screen shot of what you have to enable in STAR to get it on the instrument cluster to limit the trunk opening if you are in a garage or have super low ceilings...etc.

Thanks,
-Nigel
Old 07-11-2019, 01:06 PM

CLS55 AMG
Thanks to this I just completed this on a CLS 55 and all working well

the only problem is that that I didn’t get the bolt that connects the motor to the boot lid so used a M8 bolt but this is just a stop gap.

anyone know of you can get a replacement bolt?

thanks!
Old 07-18-2019, 06:38 AM

Arrow

Originally Posted by Donshl
Thanks to this I just completed this on a CLS 55 and all working well

the only problem is that that I didn’t get the bolt that connects the motor to the boot lid so used a M8 bolt but this is just a stop gap.

anyone know of you can get a replacement bolt?

thanks!
Are you talking about the bolts that are press fitted into the motor assembly housing frame? See attached picture with red circles?
If you are talking about those, honestly they are not seen once you put the top back trim piece that is covering the rear deck... You'd be fine with any bolts honestly just as long as they aren't too tall which would prevent the rear deck lid cover to properly sit and ones that wouldn't have slack between them and the housing. *IE: Using bolts that the diameter isn't big enough and the entire housing would move back and forth once bolted in..

My set up was missing the MB nuts so I just went to the hardware store and found the correct threaded nuts to use on the bolts. Unless someone took this out and inspected the nuts/bolts one would never know.

-Nigel
Old 07-18-2019, 04:03 PM

CLS55 AMG
Are you talking about the bolts that are press fitted into the motor assembly housing frame? See attached picture with red circles?
If you are talking about those, honestly they are not seen once you put the top back trim piece that is covering the rear deck... You'd be fine with any bolts honestly just as long as they aren't too tall which would prevent the rear deck lid cover to properly sit and ones that wouldn't have slack between them and the housing. *IE: Using bolts that the diameter isn't big enough and the entire housing would move back and forth once bolted in..

My set up was missing the MB nuts so I just went to the hardware store and found the correct threaded nuts to use on the bolts. Unless someone took this out and inspected the nuts/bolts one would never know.

-Nigel
Hey Nigel,

Thanks for the reply, however those aren't what I meant, I mean the bolt that connects the motor arm to the boot lid
Old 07-18-2019, 08:40 PM

Ahhh gotch ya. Yea that bolt is going to be fairly not common. When I purchased my trunk motor from the eEbay seller when it arrived it did NOT have that specific bolt... after emailing them explaining that the pictures in their auction had it and what I received didn't, I was a bit pissed.

They could not find it anywhere. And said if I wanted to send the entire motor back that was ok with them considering their pictures had it. I found that they had another auction with another trunk motor and I asked the guy that was helping me out if they could simply send that bolt with the grommet. That's key... you need both. He went and double checked to make sure and he said yep that's no problem. Few days later I had the specific bolt and grommet. I don't even know where you'd get this. I highly doubt MB sells this part separately. I'd say your best bet is probably calling around junk yards or emailing people on ebay to see if you can simply just buy that bolt/grommet. Might cost some money but definitely cheaper than buying a whole used motor assembly for the bolt. (Might even check too see if there are junked motors that someone can take the part from).

Wish I could help more. Things like that drive me nuts because it's not an off the shelf type part.

Attached pictures of bolt in case anyone was wondering.

-Nigel

Last edited by NewShockerGuy; 07-19-2019 at 10:46 AM.
Old 07-19-2019, 05:55 AM

CLS55 AMG
Yep that is the one indeed! Unfortunately it does seem that there’s no part number for it (when it should be )

I've been looking around and can’t seem to find that anywhere. Just using a 8mm bolt and nut at the moment, but that’s not good enough. Might have to fabricate something...
Old 02-19-2020, 04:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes W211
Hello,

I'm gathering all the parts for Automatic Trunk Closer, but I can't find wiring harness ( A2115404810 ), where did you guys buy it? I was searching on eBay.de, eBay.co.uk, eBay.com and original Mercedes-Benz Online Shop and it's not available Can someone help?

Best regards,
Luka
Old 03-16-2020, 04:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes W211
Hello,

Finally I found wiring harness now I'm just missing that famous bolt and grommet, does anybody have a picture of actual bolt and grommet so I can fabricate something, thank you!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY Retrofit for Automatic Trunk Closer.