Sponsored by:

Official 2014 M3/4 Specs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 10:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Current: Cadillac CTS-V (V2), Chevy Cruze Past: E55k
Official 2014 M3/4 Specs

Note: I copied this article from somewhere else.

Finally some concrete details from BMW on the next generation M3/M4! What may be interpreted as bad news is the horsepower output from the 3.0 liter inline-6 S55 twin turbo (single scroll turbo) motor is 'only' 430 horses. The torque figure is at 369 pound-feet. Not exactly a powerhouse of a motor or a torque monster but the good news is that this powerplant is mated to a chassis that will weigh about 3306 pounds or 1500 kilograms.

A curb weight of 3306 pounds makes the F80 M3 / F82 M4 lighter than both previous generation M3 vehicles the E46 and E9X. It seems AutoBild got the specifications correct for the most part when they leaked them last month although horsepower is up from their claimed 416. If BMW does a Competition Package with the new M3 (chances are they will as fanboys will raise hell about the C63 out-muscling the M3 and the tiny increase over the E9X) the power, curb weight, torque, and dual clutch transmission will make for a package likely capable of high 11's in the 1/4 mile out of the box.

What is the redline of the motor? A good question. BMW has not officially confirmed the redline although they claim the new motor is high revving. Keep in mind BMW also made this claim about the S63TU V8 under the hood of the M5 and M aficionados hardly refer to that stump puller as a high revver.

AutoBild claimed 7800 rpm although that may be overly optimistic. Current reports place the redline somewhere between 7500 to 7800 rpm. BMW has yet to confirm the exact number but says it is 'over 7500 rpm.' How much over they do not say.

The motor has a closed deck design meaning it is not based on the N54 as some people speculated (N54 fanboys). The motor does have Valvetronic. The block is seemingly a brand new design. The power is sent to a carbon fiber driveshaft.

BMW also confirmed the manual transmission option meaning Autoblog F'd up royally with their report stating the M3/M4 would not have a manual transmission. Further details to come but what is concrete as of right now are the horsepower, torque, transmission, and curb weight figures. Additionally, both the sedan and the coupe will have carbon fiber roofs.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Daily 06 E55, Fun 12 GSXR750, Racing John Deere D110
I was hoping they would do something with forced induction, gotta love the easy power ... Looks like I'll be driving an M3 when they available used at a steal!
Old 09-24-2013, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by S2K750
I was hoping they would do something with forced induction, gotta love the easy power ... Looks like I'll be driving an M3 when they available used at a steal!
Yes this platform will be very impressive and mod friendly. More impressive is the 3306 curb weight. That's Corvette ZO6 light! If your looking for a new ride, I would wait and see what AMG does with the 2015 4.0 twin turbo V8 first.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
Originally Posted by S2K750
The next M3/4 has been rumored to have a turboed inline-6 for forever. Actually, the original rumor was a tri-turbo with one being electric for the initial off-the-line hit.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 125 Likes on 95 Posts
2006 E55
A bit power than the E39 M5 and 700lbs less should make for a fun car with great very fast mod potential.

And BMW was saying they would never go FI and engage in the HP/TQ wars ...

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigghttttttttttttttt
Old 09-25-2013, 10:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Daily 06 E55, Fun 12 GSXR750, Racing John Deere D110
Originally Posted by HeissRod
The next M3/4 has been rumored to have a turboed inline-6 for forever. Actually, the original rumor was a tri-turbo with one being electric for the initial off-the-line hit.
I try to not get excited with rumors until they actually happen. Just like they said they're ditching a manual transmission; it's still an option

Originally Posted by Hotsoss
Yes this platform will be very impressive and mod friendly. More impressive is the 3306 curb weight. That's Corvette ZO6 light! If your looking for a new ride, I would wait and see what AMG does with the 2015 4.0 twin turbo V8 first.

Its definitely going to be a rocket ship. As much as I love my E55 and the other few my family has owned over the years; theyre all missing something that I love more than horsepower. Handling =( My car drives like a god damn boat. I would give up 150hp if the car would come anywhere near the handing of an RS6 OR M5. Ive never owned a drag car, luxury car, or automatic so I can't say I dislike the E55 by any means. Its definitely amazing in its own way, I just miss the feeling of being able to take any turn at any reasonable speed lol.

Last edited by S2K750; 09-25-2013 at 10:11 AM.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:28 PM

Its definitely going to be a rocket ship. As much as I love my E55 and the other few my family has owned over the years; theyre all missing something that I love more than horsepower. Handling =( My car drives like a god damn boat. I would give up 150hp if the car would come anywhere near the handing of an RS6 OR M5. Ive never owned a drag car, luxury car, or automatic so I can't say I dislike the E55 by any means. Its definitely amazing in its own way, I just miss the feeling of being able to take any turn at any reasonable speed lol.
I hear you. Well if it's handling your after you will have a plethora of options from the M3, C63, RS4/S4, and even the upcoming ATS-V that will employ a 3.6 TT. The early reports is that the engine pulls like a freight train in the mid to upper revs in the 2014 CTS V Sport, and this is the detuned version of the engine similiar to what Audi does with it 4.0TT in the RS and S models.