Sponsored by:

Bumper gap

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 10:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55
Bumper gap

So after some reading the other night, in specific about the aftermarket heat exchangers (HE to you, HX to me in my business) causing the lower front bumper to sag/pull down, it dawned on me that I have some gap between the hood and the lower bumper. On closer inspection, I'm a little stumped. I'm fairly sure I have a completely stock car, the HE seems small, has a Mercedes sticker on it, looks to have plenty of room, and yet the front bumper seems woefully low.

That made me think alignment, so I took a close look at the hood-fender line, and it was perfect on both sides. I then lifted with a bit of force on the lower bumper area, and got some movement. Nothing looks shifted/painted/replaced down there, so I'm hoping it wasn't involved in a collision and is now just misaligned. Has anyone shifted the bumper around that can share where all of the mounting bolts/pins are?

If you look close, you can see how the gap gets wider and wider as you move towards the center of the car. Looking closely at the lower grill area, there are two little "pucks" to keep the grill from resting directly on the paint, and they are also not touching.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
E55, E320 CDI , CLA250, Jag XJ Supersport
You could put a couple of washers under the bumper mounting tabs on each side of the grille. That should make it right.
Old 04-24-2021, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 AMG
https://youtu.be/caHLFVIqND4

Originally Posted by Jonota
So after some reading the other night, in specific about the aftermarket heat exchangers (HE to you, HX to me in my business) causing the lower front bumper to sag/pull down, it dawned on me that I have some gap between the hood and the lower bumper. On closer inspection, I'm a little stumped. I'm fairly sure I have a completely stock car, the HE seems small, has a Mercedes sticker on it, looks to have plenty of room, and yet the front bumper seems woefully low.

That made me think alignment, so I took a close look at the hood-fender line, and it was perfect on both sides. I then lifted with a bit of force on the lower bumper area, and got some movement. Nothing looks shifted/painted/replaced down there, so I'm hoping it wasn't involved in a collision and is now just misaligned. Has anyone shifted the bumper around that can share where all of the mounting bolts/pins are?

If you look close, you can see how the gap gets wider and wider as you move towards the center of the car. Looking closely at the lower grill area, there are two little "pucks" to keep the grill from resting directly on the paint, and they are also not touching.

Fixed.