W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lousy Design! - No "ALTERNATOR" warning light???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 03:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
Bcm is in the trunk . Look down by ps black box that's against the rear frame by spare tire well to the right of where the trunk lid locks to.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by groove66
That was not a good enough reason for you to check the charging system. seems to be a pretty good indicator if you ask me.
Then you install battery without checking charging system.

Thats why you convenience features were disabled because your battery got low. why do batteries go low. Insufficient charge, bad battery or draw on the system.

isn't the Aux battery just for SBC and engine start and rear battery for convenience features
Every winter season, we all play the "Convenience Features Disabled" game with these cars... Just check the forums starting in October when the weather gets cold. Lots of people start having weird issues.

Usually, all it takes is a swap of the accessory battery to resolve it.

Originally Posted by Critter
Gregmb, you state the aux battery was changed out but when was the trunk battery done. Car owners must realize that when you see things coming up on the dash as stated Convenience Features disabled, it does mean something. These cars are power hogs and maintaining a strong battery is a must so replacement at 3-4 years is like insurance paid, you are covered. Waiting until the car fails, all this additional time just puts extreme loading on the charge system which it was never designed for. If you had a ocean going fishing boat would you run to failure knowing you can swim?
My E has the voltage readout when the car starts 12.4 before start and 14.2 running, 2nd battery now,, first one replaced 1.5 years ago, still worked fine but now good for another three years.
My car is a 2006. I replaced the large rear battery two years ago, and also replaced the front accessory battery at that same time. The error messages for a low rear battery vs. front battery ARE different so I knew that I was chasing a low front battery this time around.... Given that the front battery was a cheap "power sports" unit, it was not unreasonable to assume that it had died an early death.

Originally Posted by moosejaw

Greg how many miles on your E55?
Andrew, my car just cracked 45,500 miles. I suppose it's possible that my use of a "cheap" front battery (ie. instead of the $130 FIAMM one) put more load on the charging system and ultimately led to the alternator failure?

Guess I get a second chance to do the right thing.... It was 20 degrees yesterday and I saw the "Convenience Features Disabled" warning message. It went off after about 60 seconds, but that tells me that the front battery isn't going to be strong enough to make it through the winter.

-G
Old 11-24-2013, 06:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,488 Likes on 986 Posts
This place is a joke.
There is a little confusion here about what battery does what...The "Convenience Features Disabled" warning simply means your MAIN battery-in the trunk, is low on charge. This is the main battery that starts the car, and runs all the electronics. This message does not necessarily mean anything is wrong. It could be the cold weather dropping your battery voltage slightly, or the car has been sitting a little longer than usual. It simply means the main battery will now be charged by the alternator, and in the mean time our wonderful car has shut off all non-essential high-amp draw features so the battery can be charged quickly, or to avoid a stage 2 shutdown... If the message does not go off, in say, 30 minutes of driving, then there is an issue, either a weak main battery or weak alternator, or other fault. The battery up front, it's only purpose is to back up your SBC brake-by-wire system in the event of a total electrical failure. When this battery has a problem, you will get a RED "visit workshop" fault in the cluster for this "auxillary battery." Don't believe me? This aux. battery is no longer present in the 2007-2009 211 chassis since they did away with the SBC brake system. Some of you may be confusing the SL and S class dual battery setups, which have a main/system battery in the trunk, and a starting battery under the hood.

Here is a good read from MB , although somewhat vague:

http://bayhas.com/mercedes/w211/contents/INDEX.htm

Last edited by E55Greasemonkey; 11-24-2013 at 06:41 PM.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Interesting...

I was under the impression that:

"Visit Workshop" message = Main trunk Battery
"Convenience Features Disabled" message = Front Auxilliary Battery

So if I understand your comments, those two messages don't tell you which battery is failing.... Only the severity of how discharged the batteries are getting?

That is still strange to me. With my most recent failure on the trip to Boston I never saw the red "Visit Workshop" message at all.... Just the terrifying "Battery / Alternator - Stop Vehicle" message once the battery was on the verge of death.

-G
Old 11-24-2013, 07:26 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2005- E55, 2007 GL450, 94 B3000
Originally Posted by GregMB
Interesting...

So if I understand your comments, those two messages don't tell you which battery is failing.... Only the severity of how discharged the batteries are getting?

That is still strange to me. With my most recent failure on the trip to Boston I never saw the red "Visit Workshop" message at all.... Just the terrifying "Battery / Alternator - Stop Vehicle" message once the battery was on the verge of death.

-G

You had it backwards. The convenience functions light only comes on if the main systems battery is low. The AUX battery's only purpose is for the SBC system.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This place is a joke.
Originally Posted by GregMB
Interesting...

-G
Yes you have it backwards. You'll get a red message that your AUX battery is bad..because you risk losing brakes if your alternator/main battery dies. But you (I) don't get warnings when the alternator is bad until it's about dead!
Old 11-25-2013, 10:00 AM

Location: Gainesville, FL: In a garage or in a bar, or a garage with a bar in it.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55, 2011 Honda Push Mower (21 inch deck bishes)
This is making me paranoid. I notice a gentle pulsing in my headlights and the main DIC gauge on mine. I've replaced the aux and the rear, but just last week I had "convenience features disabled" popup after 5 minutes of driving. Got to work, let the car sit, and on startup, nothing. Switched one of my Aeroforce parameters over to battery and watched it. swinging anywhere from 13.6 to 14.8 somewhat sporadically. I've had a voltage regulator sitting on my shelf since the 2nd day I got this car 7 months ago. Looks like it may be time to just get it done. I'd never forgive myself if I was left stranded on the side of the road when I've had the part for so long.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
Originally Posted by E55Greasemonkey
Don't believe me? This aux. battery is no longer present in the 2007-2009 211 chassis since they did away with the SBC brake system.
Ahhhhhhh
Old 11-25-2013, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W211
Originally Posted by typhoon43
This is making me paranoid. I notice a gentle pulsing in my headlights and the main DIC gauge on mine. I've replaced the aux and the rear, but just last week I had "convenience features disabled" popup after 5 minutes of driving. Got to work, let the car sit, and on startup, nothing. Switched one of my Aeroforce parameters over to battery and watched it. swinging anywhere from 13.6 to 14.8 somewhat sporadically. I've had a voltage regulator sitting on my shelf since the 2nd day I got this car 7 months ago. Looks like it may be time to just get it done. I'd never forgive myself if I was left stranded on the side of the road when I've had the part for so long.
and when you are at it, might as well replace the CPS, and tranny connector plug as well.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This place is a joke.
Made the 5hr round trip to.pick up my car at MB Sarasota. The guys took good care of my car and a new alternator fixed the problem. They told me the old one was still charging but only at only 11 volts, maybe thats why I never got the red warning in the cluster. On the ride home I saw a steady 13.8v in the cluster.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
Normal is 14.1 -14.2 volts when running