W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quaife LSD Equipped E55s..... CHECK IN!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 09:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
Actually, toe-in increases straight-line stability while toe-out kills it. So, if you decrease your toe to zero, you are inducing toe-out compared to your current values. When our cars accelerate, toe-out is introduced, so setting initial toe-in allowing to flex to zero toe under acceleration is what you should shoot for. If you want to try anything, increase your toe-in.

Last edited by HeissRod; 11-13-2013 at 09:57 AM.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by HeissRod
Actually, toe-in increases straight-line stability while toe-out kills it. So, if you decrease your toe to zero, you are inducing toe-out compared to your current values. When our cars accelerate, toe-out is introduced, so setting initial toe-in allowing to flex to zero toe under acceleration is what you should shoot for. If you want to try anything, increase your toe-in.
I guess this is where I'm getting confused....

If the factory was expecting "zero toe" under hard acceleration (due to bushing deflection of their rubber-bushed toe links) and spec'ed a slight amount of toe-in to compensate for that deflection, shouldn't I be setting up my car for zero toe?

The newly installed toe links have NO rubber in them, so presumably if I've got toe-in at rest....I'll still have toe-in under hard acceleration too. If I want the stability of "zero toe" under hard acceleration, shouldn't I be setting the car up for zero toe on the alignment rack???

-G
Old 11-13-2013, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
Depends on how much the factory flexes vs. Evosport. Evosport has no webpage, so I can't read about their product, but I can't imagine that that they are able to reduce flex to zero.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

UPDATE!

It looks like Michelin PSS are more sensitive to tire pressure than I realized.

I'd been running 32F/36R and got lots of squirm. Today out of desperation I tried 40F/42R...

IT WORKED!

I've been hammering my launches (ESP on and off) and the car is tracking a LOT better.... Almost perfect I'd say.

-G
Old 11-16-2013, 01:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
EG8 | E46 | W211
I recently mounted Michelin PSSs and I've noticed they do squirm a bit. The PS1s I had mounted previously did not squirm at all.

Thanks for the update G!
Old 11-16-2013, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Try some extra pressure and report back. I'd be curious to hear what kind of pressures people run.

-G