Sponsored by:

Smaller Super Charger pulley

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 08:46 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
E55K AMG
Smaller Super Charger pulley

How do I know if I have been supplied a smaller pulley that might be from a bad batch? Just want to know before installing with a load of other parts.

Checked what I could on the site and its not really clear, colour of bearing, size of the 3 tabs......... rumors?

cheers
Attached Thumbnails Smaller Super Charger pulley-dsc_0002.jpg  
Old 11-17-2013, 08:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
That one looks like the "large tab" version. (2nd design, IIRC)

Just be careful to keep the clutch gap as tight as possible to avoid over stressing those riveted areas...

-G
Old 11-19-2013, 07:48 PM

E55K AMG
Originally Posted by GregMB
That one looks like the "large tab" version. (2nd design, IIRC)

Just be careful to keep the clutch gap as tight as possible to avoid over stressing those riveted areas...

-G

many thanks, yes the tabs look very similar if not slightly larger than the original pulley on the car. Will shim the gap close
Old 11-20-2013, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Just to clarify, here are a couple of photos I just stumbled across in my files....

S/C Pulley (1st Design):

S/C Pulley (2nd Design):

You can see that the 2nd Design, has a much larger "button" on those three mounting positions....almost completely covering the spring steel underneath. This I believe was to mitigate the stress-risers and cracking of the steel spring material itself.

To be fair, I also believe that many of the early failures were a result of incorrect shimming which caused that spring to be stretched beyond it's design limit and that is what initiated the "tearing" at those riveted spots.

I suppose it's possible that either design could be made to work if the shimming were properly done.

-G
Old 11-20-2013, 05:32 PM

E55K AMG
Thanks very useful pictures and for what it worth I have the 2nd design, the one in the picture has a decent size piece missing from the clutch plate.

Sounds like shim gap is very important in regards to metal fatigue of the lugs. I thought about no gap, but I might as well have got a fixed pulley?

Please confirm the tolerance gap?

Originally Posted by GregMB
Just to clarify, here are a couple of photos I just stumbled across in my files....

S/C Pulley (1st Design):

S/C Pulley (2nd Design):

You can see that the 2nd Design, has a much larger "button" on those three mounting positions....almost completely covering the spring steel underneath. This I believe was to mitigate the stress-risers and cracking of the steel spring material itself.

To be fair, I also believe that many of the early failures were a result of incorrect shimming which caused that spring to be stretched beyond it's design limit and that is what initiated the "tearing" at those riveted spots.

I suppose it's possible that either design could be made to work if the shimming were properly done.

-G